Job Opening – Associate Business Advisor in Nairobi
Duma Works is recruiting an Associate Business Advisor for one of our clients, a non-profit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. The company’s work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs and wealth for their families and communities. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
Small and family run retail businesses locally known as “dukas” face a number of challenges in running efficiently, resulting in less than optimal profits for the entrepreneurs that run them. These retailers are mostly informal and operate on a cash basis. Restocking generally requires the owner to travel to a supplier, often a large retailer, with cash in order to make the purchase. This is expensive and time consuming, and entrepreneurs can only resupply with cash on hand. This inefficiency results in periods of closure, limited inventory, stock depletion and ultimately relatively high prices to purchasers and low income for the storekeepers. Overcoming these obstacles presents an opportunity to unleash a wave of growth providing the entrepreneurs with the ability to develop stronger, more profitable businesses. There is significant potential to increase the efficiency of supply chain management, and decrease price volatility.
The company aims to increase financial return and growth of dukas in Nairobi. This will be achieved by improving the performance of the dukas meaning better financial and operations management, better marketing and adoption of digital solutions for payments and inventory management, improved relationships with lenders, suppliers, customers and supporting service providers and better coordination and collaboration amongst shops.
The Associate Business advisor will be responsible for the implementation of project activities and achievement of the project’s goal and leadership of trainers and student interns in 6 informal settlements
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Associate Business Advisor will be responsible for the following duties:-
- Implement the program and ensure achievement of deliverables, including specific outputs and outcomes laid out the program proposal.
- Lead the process of conducting the baseline survey for the program
- Support the program trainers in Identifying, vetting and selecting the dukas
- Ensure that formal training of dukas is delivered in; Business management, financial management, merchandising, digital technology solutions and supply chain management
- Support the trainers to conduct a one on one coaching with duka owners to enhance coordination and collaboration with each other
- Work closely with duka owners to form business associations
- Through critical review of project activities in the field, work with the program managers to eliminate risks that may hinder effective implementation of the Project
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with relevant stakeholders including, government ministries, private sector companies, financial institutions, business associations, and academic institutions;
- Provide support and leadership to program interns and trainers in conducting baseline, midline and Endline surveys ,delivering formal training, one on one coaching to the duka owners and formation of associations
- Maintain project work plan and ensure timely project implementation
- Submit to the Program Manager weekly report on activities conducted and report on monthly/quarterly targets
- Understand, respect and promote the company’s values, vision, and strategy in the implementation of assigned duties
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Program Manager
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Related field such as Marketing, Finance, Entrepreneurship, Human Resources and MIS.
- 2 to 3 years’ experience of consulting/working with Micro- businesses in Nairobi
- Conversant with recent trends in the retail industry in the country
- Strong and demonstrable report writing skills
- Experience working with communities living on less than $2 a day
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills a must
- Willingness to travel frequently in the informal settlements
- Proficiency in MS Office especially Excel and PowerPoint
- Ability to develop well-written, cohesive analyses and reports
- Track record of building strong client and stakeholder relationships
- Ability to generate innovative solutions in work situations
- Ability to work with minimum supervision is a requirement.
Reporting Unit/Supervisor: Program Manager
Job Type: Full Time
Applications to be sent by email to [email protected] marking the subject as “1925”, Your Full name & Phone number. Please include
(1) cover letter describing your interest
(2) curriculum vitae
(3) three years’ salary history
(4) telephone contacts of three professional referees.
Please include all requirements in a single document (pdf). Applications will be treated confidentially. If you don’t follow these instructions, your application will not go through.
Deadline for receiving applications: 30th October 2015
Posted in Jobs Tags: associate business advisor, business advisor, consultancy, consulting, duka, Job Opening, Jobs, Management, nairobi, program implementation, project management, small enterprises, vacancy