Job Opening: Junior Engineer in Tanzania
Duma Works is recruiting a Junior Engineer for one of our clients in Njombe, Tanzania; a renewable energy company focused on creating a new model for the generation and distribution of power in rural sub-Saharan Africa with a goal to develop, own, and operate a series of grid-connected and isolated grid projects, beginning in East Africa.
The company’s primary focus is to mobilize new forms of capital to create a sustainable, affordable, and profitable solution to the problem of access to modern energy in sub-Saharan Africa. All their projects include a rural electrification component through offering grid connectivity to rural households in the communities we work in.
The company is currently at advanced stages of development on several renewable energy generation projects of between 1 and 10 MW installed capacity in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania and Rwanda and their current focus is on small hydro, solar and biomass technologies.
About the Role
The role of the Junior Engineer is to assist in all manner of technical planning and development required for small-scale renewable power generation facilities, including small hydro and biomass generation, and rural distribution grids throughout rural East Africa. The successful candidate will be driven by the potential for creating large-scale positive impact by electrifying rural areas and will demonstrate solid technical knowledge and understanding, close attention to detail, and keen interest to expand his or her skills with on-the-job training. The position will report to a team of senior engineers with extensive experience in relevant engineering projects.
Technical evaluation of potential projects, collecting data from and about potential project sites, conducting or facilitating tests related to biomass feedstock or river flow, application for necessary permits and licences, community liaison in project areas and their surroundings, and generally providing support for the senior project engineers and development team.
By nature of being a start-up company, the Junior Engineer will also be expected to contribute to the development of the company and support the general business needs of the company.
The Junior Engineer will be based in Njombe town though will be expected to frequently travel to project sites in rural areas within the region and the greater East Africa. It is envisioned that the Junior Engineer will work closely with and report to the engineering and development teams in Nairobi and Dar Es Salaam, and there is a possibility of future re-location to the either of those offices.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Evaluating the technical viability of potential projects by visiting and documenting potential sites’ technical characteristics, and assisting with carrying out or review of pre-feasibility and feasibility studies.
- Creating presentations, project reports, and technical analyses for internal and external audiences, including partners, investors, governments, financing sources, and others.
- Gathering and analysing technical data on projects and potential sites
- Working with local communities to help them understand the technical and developmental aspects of proposed power generation and distribution projects.
- Organizing and coordinating local labour to assist in conducting basic engineering site tests.
- Conducting preliminary drafting of project design drawings.
- Assisting senior engineers in preparation of the technical components of project proposals, specifications, scope of works (SOWs), competitive bid request for quotes (RFQs), and other tendering-related documents.
- Assisting senior engineers in the procurement, source inspection, and final inspection of engineered equipment for projects.
- Working on-site with the project construction managers, and supervising quality control, engineered equipment installation and commissioning by all third party contractors during project development.
The ideal candidate would have the following skills and credentials:
- Bachelor’s degree in civil, mechanical, or electrical engineering with some coursework in power plant design, construction, and power grid development.
- 2 years of renewable power project development and/or related electrical distribution and transmission experience (both design office and field).
- Effective organizational skills, including the ability to prioritize processes and schedules, develop sound project plans, conduct constructability, operability, maintainability reviews and juggle multiple assignments with competing deadlines.
- High level of intellectual curiosity with the ability to work independently in a self-directed, entrepreneurial environment.
- Ability to excel in a collaborative, technical, cross-functional and geographically diverse organization.
- Ability to work well in rural environments and collaborate with rural communities across East Africa.
- Maturity, professionalism, integrity, and excellent technical, intercultural, and communication skills, both orally and in writing.
- Strong written and spoken English and Kiswahili skills are required.
While not required, the following would be desirable in an applicant:
- Master’s degree in mechanical, electrical, or civil engineering.
- Knowledge/experience in renewables engineering, grid design and development, and/or rural electrification project development.
- Conversant in any other languages or dialects spoken in East Africa and especially in Southern Tanzania.
HOW TO APPLY
NB: ONLY Tanzanian nationals should apply for this position
Interested candidates who meet the above criteria should send their cvs and cover letters to [email protected].
Deadline for receiving applications: 4th March 2016
Posted in Jobs Tags: Dar es Salaam, East Africa, East Africa jobs, Engineer, engineering, Engineering Jobs, green energy, Jobs in Tanzania, Njombe, renewable energy, renewable energy engineering, renewable energy jobs, tanzania, Tanzania jobs