Job Opening – Operations Manager in Arusha, Tanzania-CLOSED
Duma Works is recruiting an Operations Manager for our client, a fast-growing renewable energy company based in Nairobi and setting up a sister company in Tanzania.
The Operations Manager will be at the center of getting the Tanzanian entity operational – from managing the office space, to setting up key suppliers and vendors, to managing accounting with the central office in Nairobi, finding and hiring talent for the Tanzanian team, shipping logistics from Kenya at the Namanga border, and much more. The Operations Manager will report directly to the company executives based in Nairobi and will be the day-today leader of the Tanzanian on the ground operations. This is an exciting role with a great amount of autonomy and responsibility and with high expectations for performance and results.
- Helping set up the Arusha office with needed furniture and equipment, stationery, and business services (internet, water, etc).
- Managing the Arusha office on a day to day basis, handling key administrative functions.
- Diligently recording all expenditures, ensuring receipts and invoices are collected and filed appropriately
- Assisting in payment processing to suppliers and vendors in Tanzania,
- Procuring materials necessary for micro-grid installations. This involves high levels of coordination with the central procurement team in Nairobi.
- Managing any Tanzanian vehicles and generating and improving relationships with car and lorry rental companies as needed.
- Assisting with all logistics related to importing equipment from Kenya (or other countries) through overland and port checkpoints.
- Coordinating delivering equipment to sites in Tanzania with installation teams.
- Engaging with local government for business purposes such as obtaining licenses or permits needed for general company operations and/or micro-grid development and installations.
- Preparing reports on operational metrics to convey key information to teams in Nairobi. Developing the content, form, and process for information sharing between the Nairobi and Arusha offices will be a critical part of the role.
- Liaising with the Finance, Projects, HR, and Grid Departments, which are headquartered in Nairobi, to ensure that the systems and operations supporting the business unit in Tanzania align with corporate goals and allow for increased scale and efficiencies.
- Utilizing company’s data management systems (Dropbox, ERP – Netsuite, Google Docs) and ensuring other Tanzanian staff are trained and using the systems as well
Skills and Qualifications
- 5+ years work experience in operations management or related field
- Experience in the energy sector or related field a plus
- Expertise in delivery logistics, particularly for wide and rural distribution networks
- Experience in importation/exportation through border crossings and ports
- Highly organized and detail oriented
- Excels at operating in a fast-paced working environment
- Self-starter able with flexibility to navigate ambiguous situations
- Experience and proven ability to lead and manage teams and major projects or initiatives
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Tanzanian citizen or already holding a valid Tanzania work permit
- Fluent in Swahili and English (and ability to conduct business in either language) is mandatory.
- Desire to learn, ability to ask questions, resilience in a new environment, collaborative approach to problem solving, and an open-mind to new ways of doing things may be more valuable than specific technical knowledge or prior work experience.
- The Operations Manager should be flexible and eager to lend a hand wherever needed, even if a specific task may fall outside the core job description. Overall, we seek a highly self-motivated, passionate, and committed person who is excited about working to bring affordable electricity to the 600 million Africans without access – in a for-profit context.
Applications letters and detailed CV are to be sent by email to [email protected] marking the subject as “1888”, Your Full name & Phone number. If you don’t follow these instructions, your application will not go through.
Deadline for receiving applications: 10th October 2015
* When applying to any job through Duma Works, you can expect that after you apply, you will receive a confirmation email, and then an SMS alert asking you to take a basic screening test over SMS. The SMS with the test may not arrive immediately. Please be patient. The SMS test will typically be 5-8 questions to help us understand your background. Regular SMS rates apply to the test, and if you ever have any issues with the process, please reach out to 0702093793
Posted in Jobs Tags: Jobs, logistics, Management, nairobi, operations manager, project manager, tanzania