Job Vacancy – Accountant
Duma Works is recruiting an Accountant for one of our clients; a hotel situated in one of the largest towns in Kenya, Eldoret.
Scope and General Purpose:
- Responsible for the hotel’s accounting and financial management.
- Managing the accounts department.
- Provide the Hotel manager and other departmental heads with meaningful and timely information on the status of the hotel’s
- Assist proactively with cost containment, revenue enhancement, profit improvement opportunities and safeguarding of the Hotel’s assets.
Indirectly to: The Directors
- Accounts Department
- Food & Beverage Cost Controller
All heads of departments
Limits of Authority:
As may be set from time to time
- To maintain proper and complete accounting records of the hotel.
- To ensure that the accounts, records and transactions of the hotel are accurate and correct at all times.
Safeguarding of assets.
- To implement all the necessary controls to safeguard the assets of the hotel.
- To prepare and interpret the financial statements and reports of the hotel.
- To provide financial information to management as tools for maximizing profits and planning for the future. Reports which should stimulate management action.
Budgets and forecasts.
- To compile, together with the other heads of departments, budgets and forecasts covering all activities of the hotel.
- To compile cash flow forecasts for the hotel.
Controls and procedures.
- To ensure that the established controls and procedures in respect of the controller’s areas of responsibility are being complied with at all times.
- To ensure that there are, at all times, proper procedures and controls for the guest cashiers and other cashiers in the hotel,notwithstanding the fact that these areas are not the direct responsibility of the controller.
- Ensure proper controls for F&B cashiers.
- To ensure that physical inventories of all supplies are being taken on a monthly basis and of all operating equipment on a quarterly basis.
Credit and collection
- To ensure that the hotel complies with the established credit and collection procedures, with particular attention to front office, functions and meetings processes.
- To check expenditures (via purchase requests, expenditure approval forms and purchase orders) in accordance with established procedures.
- To approve and sign payments in accordance with established procedures.
- To ensure that bank account statements are checked on a daily basis.
- To ensure that bank accounts are reconciled each month.
- To ensure that all revenue due to the hotel is properly accounted for and reconciled.
- To ensure that all receivables are collected within the hotel’s credit periods.
- To ensure that payments are made for all goods and services on a timely basis.
- To ensure that all payments are adequately supported by documentation,
properly coded and properly authorized.
- To ensure that suppliers’ accounts are reconciled to the hotel’s
records on a regular basis.
- To ensure that payments are properly calculated authorized and paid on a timely basis to employees.
- To ensure returns, declarations and administration are properly handled concerning income tax, Pension Trustees and other relevant bodies.
- To ensure that proper deductions are made at all times for PAYE, NSSF, NHIF, pensions and other relevant items.
- To ensure that proper records are kept for all inventory items.
- To ensure that payments and returns are made accurately and on a timely basis to Income Tax in respect of value added tax.
- To ensure that compliance is continuous and that refunds are appropriately kept for inspection by external bodies.
- To ensure that all revenue and expenditure are properly recorded in the general ledger.
- To ensure that all balances are reconciled on a regular basis.
- To ensure that disbursements made by the General Cashier are properly authorized and adequately supported by documentation.
- To ensure that the float of the General Cashier is verified daily.
- To keep and safeguard the hotel’s contracts and agreements.
- To liaise with internal and external auditors in compliance with the hotel’s requirements.
- To assist in the renewal of insurances.
- To administer insurance claims.
- To assist in the preparation of the year end statutory accounts.
- To manage the staffing of the Accounting, liaising closely with the hotel’s Human Resources department.
- Staffing management involves the selection, employment, supervision, transfer, review, promotion and dismissal (with due cause) of individuals within the above-mentioned departments.
- To implement appropriate training programmes in conjunction with the Head of Human Resources and to develop Departmental Trainers in these departments.
- To maximize productivity and morale by setting goals, providing clear guidelines and by developing team spirit.
- To assist in other accounting and financial matters as and when required.
Any other duties as may be assigned
To apply online click here or send your Cover Letter and detailed CV to [email protected] marking the subject as “3553”, Your Full name & Phone number e.g. 3553 Barack Obama, +2547xxxxxxxx. If you don’t follow these instructions, your application will not go through.
Deadline for receiving applications: Thursday, 07 February 2019
* You will receive a confirmation email and an alert to take a basic screening test over SMS or online. The email with the test may not arrive immediately. Please be patient. The email/SMS test will typically be 5-8 questions to help us understand your background. Regular SMS rates apply to the test.
If you apply and don’t meet these minimum qualifications, we will not be able to move forward with you application.
Posted in Jobs Tags: Accounting, accounts, and, cashier, credit, Eldoret, financial management, general, hotel, Hotel jobs in Eldoret, human resources, Job Opening, Job Opportunity, Jobs in Eldoret, jobs in kenya, of, opportunities, pension