Job Vacancy – Africa and Middle East Country Engagement Lead
Summary of Role
CLASP is seeking a qualified consultant to lead Country Engagement efforts in Africa and the Middle East under an innovative and impactful global public health campaign. The consultant will work closely with an international team to support the implementation of the campaign, including building and maintaining relationships with key stakeholders, government decision makers, industry associations, and NGOs, and delivering evidence to influence the region, a country, or stakeholder / group toward the campaign goal.
A successful candidate will identify, develop and maintain trusting relationships with government contacts throughout Africa and the Middle East. They will conduct country assessments and other analysis to define strategic engagement plans in priority countries. They will coordinate development and delivery of technical and analytical evidence to members of governments and others, when needed. Further, they will coordinate a coalition of environmental and public health advocates, consumer groups, leading businesses in support of the campaign goals.
The ideal candidate will have experience implementing campaigns pertaining to public health, environmental justice, and/or climate change mitigation and be familiar with the zero mercury community of practice in the region as well as the Minamata Conference of Parties and/or other COPs. Experience working with governments (particularly Ministries of Environment or Health) in Africa and the Middle East is highly encouraged.
We offer a fast-paced, international, and highly collegial work environment. The right candidate will be able to move creatively and strategically from idea to implementation, know how to pivot and communicate strategic changes, move between the small details and the big picture with skill, bring well-honed listening, interpersonal and persuasion skills, and be able to filter many streams of information for the best results.
This is an 11-month contract up to November 2021, with potential for an extension after that based on achievements. The consultant will be expected to commit half of her/his time throughout the contract period.
- 7-10 years of experience in public health, energy, environment, and/or climate change fields
- International experience required, experience in international multilateral negotiations preferred
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree (relevant field preferred)
- Fluency in more than one language preferred
- Exemplary team coordination skills; knows how to work through people to get results
- Moves smoothly between analyzing an evidence base and formulating high-level strategy
- Persuasive; ability to connect with and influence people in diverse, international work environments and settings, including business, government and the non-profit sector
- Ability to travel in both developed and developing countries once COVID-19 restrictions are relaxed
- Ability to maintain composure, flexibility, and a sense of humor.
- Intellectual agility
About the Organization
To apply online click here
Submit a resume and 1-page expression of interest.
CLASP will contact qualified respondents directly with details about the global public health campaign and a specific scope of work.
CLASP is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This position will remain open until filled.
* You will receive a confirmation email and an alert to take a basic screening test online. The email with the test may not arrive immediately. Please be patient. The email test will typically be 5-8 questions to help us understand your background.
If you apply and don’t meet these minimum qualifications, we will not be able to move forward with your application.
Posted in Jobs Tags: africa, clean energy, clean energy consultancy, climate change, climate change mitigation, consultancy, consultant, contract jobs, country, development, energy, environment, environmental justice, government, industry, international relations, jobs in africa, Jobs in West Africa, Kenya, Minamata Conference of Parties, multilateral negotiations, Opportunity, public health, Recruitment, zero mercury