Job Vacancy – Alumni & Communications Coordinator
Generation Programme Kenya (GPK) is recruiting an Alumni & Communications Coordinator to join their team in Nairobi.
The primary responsibility of this role is to fully run Alumni Engagement and Mentorship function and to support in keeping alumni connected to each other and to Generation. Encourage and promote the professional development of alumni, keep the alumni community aware of Generation’s developments and needs, including fundraising opportunities and achievements. They will also be responsible in implementing the alumni and mentorship strategy which is an integral component of the Generation methodology where we support our learners and alumni during the bootcamp and after when they are placed into employment.
The secondary responsibility of this role will be to support the functional head when called upon in managing internal and external communications.
Location: Nairobi, Kenya with frequent travel to counties.
Reporting To: Alumni & Communications Manager.
Contract Term: Position is open for recruitment for an initial period of one (1) year and may be subject to extension.
Introduction to Generation
Generation is one of the world’s largest, fastest scaling global demand-driven youth employment programs, providing young adults with the opportunity to launch successful careers and change their life trajectories. We recruit, train and place diverse adults of all ages —whether unemployed or underemployed —into careers that would otherwise be beyond their reach.
We started with a focus on youth, who are keen to launch their careers from non-traditional pathways (e.g. youth with no higher educational qualifications and require support to mitigate challenges due to socioeconomic backgrounds, individuals seeking to enter professions where their profile is traditionally underrepresented), and have now expanded to mid-career workers seeking jobs in demand (e.g. workers who have been displaced potentially due to automation or economic downturn, rejoining caretakers who have been out of the workforce for a significant amount of time).
Our goal is to deliver for job seekers and employers simultaneously: supporting the individual’s personal and financial well-being, while helping businesses acquire entry-level hires who have higher productivity, are of higher quality, are retained longer, and are faster to promotion than peers.
To date, Generation is active in 14 countries: USA, Kenya, Brazil, Spain, Mexico, India, Singapore, Australia, Hong Kong, UK, France, Italy, Ireland and Pakistan with plans of expanding to a few more countries.
Since launching in May 2015, Generation Kenya has trained over 18,000 candidates across 6 different industries. 83% of whom have been placed in meaningful employment with our over 250+ employer partners. We currently train for entry-level roles in 5 programs namely, financial services sales, retail and restaurants, distributed sales, food and beverage and sewing machine operators in apparel manufacturing.
Driven by our vision, “a meaningful career and sustained well-being for every person anywhere in the world” and mission “we transform education to employment systems to prepare, place and support people into life-changing careers that would otherwise be inaccessible”, we aim to address the skills gap that hinders growth in the formal sector in Kenya.
Roles & Responsibilities:
Alumni and Mentorship
- Communicate with the alumni community graduates across various social media platforms (e.g., Facebook, Twitter, text)
- Schedule and organize alumni events (e.g., networking, reunions, short courses) for alumni members.
- Form and maintain an active alumni steering committee where each member has assigned actions and timelines.
- Engage, proactively, with the Learner Engagement Team to ensure alignment of our Alumni and Mentorship Strategy.
- Support communication with an alumni community of more than 18,000 graduates across various Social Media Platforms (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, text, phone calls, email, website etc.)
- Assist in implementation of the Mentorship Programme by supporting the Regional Leads and Trainers in identification of Mentors, matching of Mentors and Mentees, ensuring Mentor-Mentee meetings and organising Mentor meet-ups.
- Participate in Generation alumni community events.
- Support plan alumni events and graduation ceremonies.
- Assist implement the alumni fundraising plan to encourage in-kind and financial contributions to support ongoing Generation operations.
- Provide content and carrying out editorial duties for the alumni newsletter.
- Collecting and sharing alumni and student success stories.
- Participate in Generation alumni communities’ events.
- Support the functional head deliver media training for Generation spokespersons as required.
- Assist external communication via taking queries and providing correct information, through the official Generation Programme Kenya phone line.
- Manage the bulk messaging function in ensuring accurate and consistent messaging, where needed.
- Coordinate media activity, through sourcing of stories from across the alumni and student body to raise the profile.
- Support in the creation of concepts and ideas to visually communicate the Generation brand and work.
- Any other responsibilities as may be assigned from time to time.
Key Working Relationships
- Media & Alumni Relationships – collaborate with while maintaining strategic media and alumni partnerships, and advocate for Education-to-Employment promoting support for Generation Kenya work.
- Kenya & Global Partnership Team – support and work with the Global Learner Engagement team for Alumni and Mentorship Strategy development and implementation.
- Generation Kenya Program Team – in liaison with Communications & Alumni Manager, regularly engage, advice and support internal teams in Generation Programme Kenya as the alumni advisor, on best practices with our alumni to ensure delivery of high-quality alumni management.
Knowledge, Qualifications And Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Journalism, public information, or related field.
- Minimum of three (3) years’ relevant – hands-on – professional experience in a communications role in a busy communications environment.
- Embody values and understand the future challenges and opportunities for youth empowerment and is passionate about creating an impact in Kenya’s employment ecosystem.
- Proven track record writing press releases, news articles, opinion pieces, feature stories, developing blog content and creating social media posts in a fast-paced environment – is preferred.
- Prior experience creating digital content and managing communications campaigns – is desirable.
- Comprehensive knowledge of content management systems, Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.), and social media platforms.
Skills And Abilities
- Excellent oral/presentation skills.
- Possess exceptional writing skills and ability to compose engaging and accurate content.
- Strong teamwork orientation, with an ability to lead and work effectively with a range of media partners and colleagues.
- Strategic and innovative with ability to identify ways to improve communication efforts and sell the vision of Generation.
- Ability to explain complex ideas in easily accessible way tailored to different audiences.
- Be adaptable/flexible to respond to a fast-changing environment.
- Strong planning skills.
- Resourceful self-starter with confidence and ability to drive things with minimal oversight.
- Ability to think strategically and identify ways to improve communication efforts.
- Commitment to respect and value equality and diversity and understanding of how this applies to own area of work.
- Ability to develop and maintain positive relationship with a wide range of media stakeholder.
- Commitment to own continuing personal and professional development.
- Demonstrate high levels of integrity and aligned with Generation vision, mission, and values.
• Ability to travel frequently within Kenya, and potential occasional travel to the counties.
INTERESTED candidates please submit your applications to [email protected] attaching your resume and a motivational statement (maximum 1000 words) explaining why you are a suitable fit for the position. Your applications must be received by Thursday 25th February 2021 indicating in the subject: Alumni & Communications Co-ordinator.
Equality and diversity: Generation is committed both to promoting equality and diversity within the organization and to equal opportunities in employment. We believe in equality of opportunity regardless of race or racial group (including colour, nationality, ethnicity, national origins), religion or belief, age, disability, sexual orientation, sex, gender re-assignment and gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, and pregnancy, maternity and paternity. This also includes any incidents of perceptive or associative discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are made entirely on merit. Generation does not ask for payment from people that apply for jobs with Generation at any stage of the hiring process. If you have any specific queries, please feel free to contact us at [email protected]
To report instances of fraud or unethical business practices by any of our staff, vendors or mobilisers please reach out on this link for our Ethics hotline and / or the executive leadership team on [email protected]
Posted in Jobs Tags: 3d, advice, advisor, advocate, Alumni, and, apparel, Apply, area, Best Practices, beverage, brand, business, career, careers, civil, co-ordinator, communication, Communications, Communications Manager, content, content management, creation, delivery, development, digital, digital content, Economic, Education, Employment, Empowerment, environment, events, excel, executive, Facebook, field, financial, food, Fundraising, GAP, grid, Group, growth, head, Hiring, identity, impact, information, job, Jobs, journalism, Kenya, Knowledge, Leadership, Liaison, line, Management, manager, manufacturing, media, mentorship, networking, of, Office, one, operations, opportunities, Opportunity, Partnerships, people, person, personal, phone, planning, professional, program, programs, Promotion, Quality, Recruit, Recruitment, Relationship, retail, sales, scaling, services, social, Social Media, strategy, Success, support, systems, team, training, travel, Twitter, web, work, writing, Youth