Job Vacancy – Assistant Instructor – Digital Customer Service Program
Generation Programme Kenya (GPK) is recruiting an Assistant Instructor – Digital Customer Service Program to join their team in Nairobi.
The primary responsibility of this role is to provide training and administrative support to the instructors and participants in the planning and delivery of the DCS training program, and based on the Generation Methodology, ensure learners succeed during and beyond the program.
Location: Nairobi, Kenya.
Reporting To: Instructor.
Type of Position: Full-time Instructor / Coach.
Number of Open Positions: Six (6)
Contract Term: Six (6) Months Consultancy Contract.
Introduction to Generation
Generation is one of the world’s largest, fastest scaling global demand-driven youth employment programs, providing young adults with the opportunity to launch successful careers and change their life trajectories. We recruit, train and place diverse adults of all ages —whether unemployed or underemployed —into careers that would otherwise be beyond their reach.
We started with a focus on youth, who are keen to launch their careers from non-traditional pathways (e.g. youth with no higher educational qualifications and require support to mitigate challenges due to socioeconomic backgrounds, individuals seeking to enter professions where their profile is traditionally underrepresented), and have now expanded to mid-career workers seeking jobs in demand (e.g. workers who have been displaced potentially due to automation or economic downturn, rejoining caretakers who have been out of the workforce for a significant amount of time).
Our goal, is to deliver for job seekers and employers simultaneously: supporting the individual’s personal and financial well-being, while helping businesses acquire entry-level hires who have higher productivity, are of higher quality, are retained longer, and are faster to promotion than peers.
To date, Generation is active in 14 countries: USA, Kenya, Brazil, Spain, Mexico, India, Singapore, Australia, Hong Kong, UK, France, Italy, Ireland and Pakistan with plans of expanding to a few more countries.
Since launching in May 2015, Generation Kenya has trained over 18,000 candidates across 6 different industries. 83% of whom have been placed in meaningful employment with our over 250+ employer partners. We currently train for entry-level roles in 5 programs namely, financial services sales, retail and restaurants, distributed sales, food and beverage and sewing machine operators in apparel manufacturing.
Driven by our vision, “a meaningful career and sustained well-being for every person anywhere in the world” and mission “we transform education to employment systems to prepare, place and support people into life-changing careers that would otherwise be inaccessible”, we aim to address the skills gap that hinders growth in the formal sector in Kenya.
Digital Customer Service Program
The Digital Customer Service Program is an intensive 5-6 weeks course which focuses on a combination of technical, behavioral and mindset skills required to be successful in a call center environment.
Roles & Responsibilities:
Delivery of Training
- Effectively communicate and coordinate with the instructor in order to assist in training delivery.
- Aid the instructor in delivering the overarching structure and flow of the program’s curriculum.
- Support preparations for effective training delivery by understanding and personalizing session plans prior to class sessions.
- Engage participants in active thinking and participation.
- Support the delivery of instruction that is rigorous, relevant, and appropriate for adults.
- Conduct assessments and record data as outlined by the curriculum.
- Collaborate with Generations’ Quality team and commit to act on any feedback based on achieving the required quality standard of the program.
- Support in mobilizing targeted youth using Generation-specific promotional and communications strategies which include but are not limited to;
- Mapping areas in the community frequented by targeted youth.
- Scheduling and conducting meetings with key stakeholders.
- Distribution of mobilization materials to faith based, and youth serving organizations in the communities.
- Represent Generation during events/activities held around the training location/region working with the Generation Kenya Communications office.
- Identify and engage stakeholders who would be keen on supporting Generation’s operations at the centers such as community organizations, youth leaders, sponsorship organizations etc.
- Represent Generation on local media when opportunities are availed, working very closely with the Generation Kenya Communications office.
- Assist in screening candidates and preparing them to attend the training.
- Serve as the primary point of contact between Generation participants, program coordinators, and other stakeholders.
- Any other administrative duties required to ensure successful operations of the program.
- Support Generation’s data-driven model by inputting the following data into the data tool:
- Participant assessment Data.
- Attendance of participants (including grooming status, dropouts & punctuality).
- Jobs Application Data.
- Collaborate with the Instructor, Generation’s Data Team and commit to acting on any feedback that intends to increase data completion to Generation’s global standards.
- Provide individual assistance to participants in small groups to ensure an understanding of concepts.
- Build relationships with participants, develop an understanding of their personal strengths and challenges, and foster a supportive classroom environment.
- Identify and onboard Generation alumni mentors to mentor class students.
- Assign each student a mentorship group where they will be mentored by the volunteer alumni mentors.
- Ensure mentors are meeting with their mentees and that the mentorship groups are active.
- Work with class mentors to identify and mitigate potential risks to participant success and achievement of their goals.
- Motivate and support participants to persevere through challenges and continue their journey of professional and personal growth.
Key Working Relationships
- Quality Assurance – work in collaboration with Instructor, Quality Assurance Assistants, and other key GPK staff to provide support, guidance, monitoring, inspection, evaluation and reporting on the process of teaching and learning.
- Kenya & Global Operations Team – support and advice the Instructor, Operations Regional Lead on global and local operations strategy development and implementation.
- Generation Programme Kenya Program Team – in liaison with Instructor, Operations Regional Leads, regularly engage, advice and support internal teams in Generation Kenya as Training advisor, on best practice in Digital Customer Service Training to ensure delivery of high quality and timely funder reporting.
Knowledge, Qualifications And Experience
- Diploma qualification in any field.
- A minimum of two (2) years relevant – hands-on – professional experience in a busy call center or customer service environment or similar role.
- At least one (1) year proven experience facilitating on-the-job Customer Service Training / coaching – preferred.
- Experience in youth development – is desirable.
- Embody values and understand the future challenges and opportunities for youth empowerment and is passionate about creating an impact in Kenya’s employment ecosystem.
- Comprehensive knowledge of Microsoft programs (Word, Excel, Outlook) required.
- Excellent knowledge of modern instructional methods and tools.
- Familiarity with video conferencing tools such as Zoom, Teams etc
- Proven experience in online training facilitation – preferred.
- Ability to facilitate positive change and build sustainable working relationships.
- Ability to meet deadlines and handle diverse tasks simultaneously.
- Any other professional certification – is desirable.
- Commit to and empathize with young people and disconnected populations.
- Work successfully in a fast-paced, start-up environment.
- Fulfill the expectations of the instructor role inside and outside of the Generation classroom.
Delivery of Skills-based Training
- Follow the overarching structure and flow of a curriculum.
- Engage participants in active thinking and participation.
- Deliver instruction that is rigorous, relevant, and appropriate for adults.
Commitment to Reflection and Growth
- Be self-reflective.
- Openly receive and give feedback on his / her performance.
- Apply feedback and pursue additional learning to strengthen his / her performance.
- Adapt his / her communication style to reflect and connect with the diverse experiences of participants.
- Explain complex topics in a non-technical way.
- Always act professionally, meeting Generation’s expectations and policies, even under pressure.
- Set and attain goals, even in difficult circumstances.
- Acknowledge mistakes and learn from them.
- Work independently with limited oversight and seek assistance when needed.
- Ability to travel frequently within Kenya to the counties.
INTERESTED candidates please submit your applications to [email protected] attaching your resume and a motivational statement (maximum 1000 words) explaining why you are a suitable fit for the position. Your applications must be received by Thursday 25th February 2021 indicating in the subject: Assistant Instructor – Digital Customer Service Program.
Equality and diversity: Generation is committed both to promoting equality and diversity within the organization and to equal opportunities in employment. We believe in equality of opportunity regardless of race or racial group (including colour, nationality, ethnicity, national origins), religion or belief, age, disability, sexual orientation, sex, gender re-assignment and gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, and pregnancy, maternity and paternity. This also includes any incidents of perceptive or associative discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are made entirely on merit. Generation does not ask for payment from people that apply for jobs with Generation at any stage of the hiring process. If you have any specific queries, please feel free to contact us at [email protected]
To report instances of fraud or unethical business practices by any of our staff, vendors or mobilisers please reach out on this link for our Ethics hotline and / or the executive leadership team on [email protected]
Posted in Jobs Tags: 3d, administrative, advice, advisor, Alumni, and, apparel, Apply, assurance, beverage, business, career, careers, center, civil, communication, Communications, consultancy, customer, Customer service, Data, delivery, development, digital, Economic, Education, Employment, Empowerment, environment, evaluation, events, excel, executive, field, financial, food, GAP, grid, Group, growth, Hiring, identity, impact, job, Jobs, Kenya, key, Knowledge, Leadership, learning, Liaison, Management, manufacturing, media, mentorship, monitoring, of, Office, one, online, operations, opportunities, Opportunity, people, person, personal, planning, point, policies, professional, program, programs, Promotion, Quality, quality assurance, Recruit, reporting, retail, sales, scaling, service, services, strategy, Success, support, systems, teaching, team, technical, training, travel, two, web, work, Youth