Job Vacancy – Business Development Manager
Generation Kenya is recruiting a Business Development Manager to join their team in Nairobi.
The Business development function will be responsible for achieving the sustainability goal of the organization. In this regard, engaging new paying employers to become part of the Generation employers’ network as well as maintaining a relationship with existing employers. In line with that, the position of Business Development Manager has been created to meet the ever-expanding need for new employers.
We are looking for an individual who is passionate about working with underserved and low-income communities and a willingness to impact society. The Business Development Manager is expected to work closely with the operations and other teams to ensure coordination on the pipeline of students being trained and needing to be placed.
The Business Development Manager will report to the Head of Business Development.
Who You Will Work With
You will be part of Generation:
Worldwide, more than 75 million young people are unemployed. But many employers can’t find people with the skills they need for entry-level jobs. Generation was created in 2014 to help bridge this gap—at speed and scale.
We have built a skills-training methodology that can serve hundreds of thousands, and eventually millions, of young people a year. And we’re building proof that this training creates real business outcomes for employers, and lasting career impact for trainees—so everyone has the incentive to invest in skills. Our goal is to help our students achieve personal and professional success—and fundamentally change their life trajectories. Generation programs prepare unemployed or underemployed young people, aged 18 to 35, for jobs in multiple sectors.
Generation programs are structured as intensive boot camps ranging from 4-12 weeks. The programs will offer students integrated technical, behavioral, mindset, and employment skills training, mentorship support and community services as well as job-placement support when they graduate.
Generation achieves this by following a demand led process which involves the inclusion of employers from the start, screening and mobilization of students, experiential technical and soft skills training, social support of students and collection of data across the entire process.
Generation outcomes to date: Globally, Generation has graduated 35,000+ young people across 100+ cities in 13 countries, in just over five years of operation. In Kenya, Generation has successfully launched five training programs: Financial Services Sales, Retail and Restaurant Services, Distributed Sales, Customer Service Agents, Sewing Machine Operations, Food & Beverage Waiters Program. Generation Kenya has trained 18,000+ graduates to date, and in 2020 we are targeting to train over 6,000 additional graduates who will need to be placed into employment.
Roles and Responsibilities
Generation’s objective is to achieve self-sustainability and we intend to achieve this by having employers pay for student placements by demonstrating the value for their business by hiring our graduates. Placement of students is the key differentiating factor for Generation from other career readiness programs. To be able to place students, a large number of employers is required to ensure that students who are trained are able to be successfully placed within the employers
Employer Relationships – 70%
- Identifies business opportunities by identifying new potential paying employers.
- Managing employer relations and accounts; Building trust and long-term relationships with employers by providing support, information and guidance; researching and recommending new opportunities.
- Cultivating positive interactions and relationships with HR representatives, team leaders and managers
- Arranging business meetings and one-on-one conversations with prospective employers.
- Create and maintain a strong network of connections in the employer community to leverage our services
- Keep updated on current trends and happenings with the employer’s sectors and communities to better understand our clients’ needs
- Negotiate on placement pricing with employers as needed and preparing contracts
- Schedule routine individual employer feedback to ensure Generation understands issues, challenges, concerns as well as success stories of Generation graduates.
- Ensure that Generation acknowledges its employer partners whenever relevant and shares their brand.
Coordination with Internal Team – 20%
- Communicate important updates and information about employer engagement to other Generation employees.
- Collaborate with the Operations team to schedule and manage employer presentations for candidates, organizing employer interview days, and coordinating with employers once job placements have been made
Brand and knowledge Building – 10%
- Participate in conferences, exhibitions, and other venues as applicable to increase and maintain Generation visibility. This includes brand building at conference, learning events and other channels.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; benchmarking state-of-the-art practices; participating in professional societies.
Essential Skills and Experience
- 3-5 years B2B sales & marketing experience
- Bachelor’s degree preferred / Experience in the Financial services industry or FMCG is an added advantage
- Proven ability to drive and close sales from start to close through the different stages of the sales cycle
- Prior experience with Salesforce will be an added advantage
Required Competencies and Mindsets
- Relationship management: You will need to work with and expertly manage a wide range of customers including dissatisfied ones as well as be required to network and constantly engage with high profile clients.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills: A big part of business development is communication. You will, therefore, need to
- Be able to clearly communicate about Generation and provide prompt responses to questions and/or requests.
- Be a good listener to understand both existing and potential employer partner needs.
- Develop compelling presentations and present to prospective employers.
- Team player: A big part of this role involves collaboration with both internal and external stakehold
- Prospecting and negotiation skills. You must be comfortable negotiating with potential employer partners.
- A professional with a strong work ethic and can work independently.
- Motivation for business development and achieving targets.
- Motivational fit, with a passion for the start-up environment, fast-changing priorities and achieving challenging goals
This position is a 2-year fixed term employment engagement with a possibility of renewal based on performance
More about Generation and how to apply: www.generation.org
Please send an application attaching a CV to [email protected] on or before 5pm Thursday 30th January 2020
Equality and diversity: Generation is committed both to promoting equality and diversity within the organization and to equal opportunities in employment. We believe in equality of opportunity regardless of race or racial group (including colour, nationality, ethnicity, national origins), religion or belief, age, disability, sexual orientation, sex, gender re-assignment and gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, and pregnancy, maternity and paternity. This also includes any incidents of perceptive or associative discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are made entirely on merit. Generation does not ask for payment from people that apply for jobs with Generation at any stage of the hiring process. If you have any specific queries, please feel free to contact us at [email protected].
Posted in Jobs Tags: 3d, accounts, agents, and, Apply, B2B, B2B Sales, beverage, brand, building, business, business development, career, civil, collection, communication, customer, Customer service, cv, Data, development, Employment, events, executive, financial, fmcg, food, graduate, grid, Group, head, Hiring, HR, identity, impact, industry, information, interview, job, Jobs, Kenya, key, Knowledge, Leadership, learning, line, manage, manager, Marketing, mentorship, network, Office, operations, opportunities, Opportunity, partner, people, personal, pipeline, placement, professional, program, programs, relations, Relationship, representatives, restaurant, retail, sales, salesforce, service, services, social, Success, support, team, technical, training, web, work