Job Vacancy – Business/Operations Manager
Duma Works is recruiting a Business/Operations Manager for our client, Kidogo in Nairobi.
Kidogo is a small, innovative organization making a BIG splash in the global Early Childhood space through our network of daycares & pre-schools. We are looking for an ambitious, business-minded Operations Manager to drive the validation and growth of Kidogo’s innovative ‘Hub & Spoke’ model. If you are a mid-level manager looking for an opportunity to prove yourself in a leadership role and are willing to work your butt off to impact the lives of children & communities, this might be the position for you!
Kidogo is a start-up social enterprise that improves access to high-quality Early Childhood Care & Education in East Africa’s low-income communities through a ‘Hub & Spoke’ model. First, we operate bestpractice Early Childhood Hubs that provide all the building blocks young children (0-5 years) need to thrive including safe, child-friendly environments, certified teachers, a play-based curriculum and health & nutrition program – all for less than $1 per day. Leveraging our hubs, we then partner with local women in the community (“mamapreneurs”) and provide them with training, mentorship and tools to improve the quality & profitability of their existing childcare centers through a social franchising approach. To date, Kidogo has provided nearly 1 million hours of quality childcare to families living in Nairobi’s urban informal settlements (slums).
ESSENCE OF THE ROLE
Over the past 3 years, Kidogo has piloted a hub & spoke model that has demonstrated positive impact on the growth & development of young children. As we embark upon our validation phase, we are looking for an adaptable leader to determine how we can improve the efficiency & effectiveness of our programs. Specifically, in the short-term (~12 months), the Operations Manager will work with Kidogo’s senior leadership to refine the existing business and operating model to optimize quality and financial sustainability. Key questions that s/he will be thinking about include: How can we make Kidogo’s hubs more cost-effective without compromising quality? How can we improve the sustainability of the social franchising ‘spokes’ program? How do we meet the needs of our customers while creating a scalable model?
In the medium-term (12-24 months) the Operations Manager will be primarily focused on executing Kidogo’s ambitious growth plans, by developing tools & systems to scale-up and expand our footprint across the country.
We are looking for a curious, self-starter to serve in a senior management capacity overseeing the operations team, as well as to be a strategic thought-partner to the senior leadership. The ideal candidate will be a strategic, compassionate and results-driven leader and innovative problem-solver with a propensity to hypothesize, test / prototype, quickly learn and refine.
WHO YOU’LL BE WORKING WITH
The Kidogo Family is a fun, passionate, driven group of young (and young at heart) people who are creating a world where every child, no matter where they were born, has the opportunity to reach their full potential.
You will directly manage a small team of “Community Kickstarters” who coordinate the day-to-day operations at Kidogo’s 2 Hub Centres & 5 Spokes and oversee 15+ field staff including Teachers and Franchising Officers. You will work closely with Kidogo’s existing team of Early Childhood experts to optimize quality at the centres through teacher training, curriculum etc. and also work with other Head Office departments (Finance, M&E etc.) to ensure effective & efficient support is provided to the teams on the front-line.
Kidogo is a meritocratic, collaborative and agile environment and the incoming Operations Manager’s leadership style must promote this culture.
- Work with Kidogo senior leadership to refine the business & operating model of the Hub & Spoke program to optimize quality, sustainability & scalability
- Oversee Kidogo’s existing Hubs & Spokes across two urban informal settlements
- Manage and mentor a young, driven and growing team
- Create and execute a growth strategy to expand Kidogo’s footprint within Nairobi and into new counties
- Create, test and refine tools needed for efficient program implementation and scale-up
- Liaise with support services needed to help achieve goals (HR, finance & admin etc.)
- Maintain strong working relationships with Kidogo’s operating partners, while identifying additional partnerships that will help meet Kidogo’s strategic goals
- Foster a culture within the team that promotes collaboration, accountability and efficiency
ATTRIBUTES OF A SUCCESSFUL OPERATIONS MANAGER
- Do-er: You are efficient, organized and use your time effectively. You have the ability to juggle many projects of varying urgency and importance at the same time and can prioritize effectively. You seamlessly balance both urgent short-term tasks with larger long-term projects.
- Adaptable / Agile: You have a willingness to learn and adapt. You are comfortable revisiting and refining aspects of a program and iterate based on lessons learned during the development lifecycle.
- Intra-preneurial: You see solutions, not challenges. You have a gritty, experimental spirit and actively find opportunities to reach our goals in more effective ways by exercising creative resourcefulness.
- Visualize path to goal: You are extremely strategic. You understand how decisions get made, you can take in multiple inputs simultaneously, make decisions with imperfect information and chart a path forward for your team.
- Wear multiple hats: You are able to see problems from different perspectives and can balance competing demands (i.e., sustainability and quality). You are also comfortable juggling detailed tasks one minute and larger strategic questions the next.
- Natural leader: You inspire your teammates to stretch themselves, to challenge their assumptions and to constantly improve through direct mentorship, as well as serving as an example. You create a sense of mutual accountability, inspire action and follow up effectively to ensure momentum.
- Fiercely compassionate: You exercise empathy and treat all people with respect and dignity. You combine the urgency of getting things while appreciating the complexities of working in urban informal settlements.
EXPERIENCE & BACKGROUND:
You must have:
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, management, or a related field
- 5+ years of experience in the private sector / social enterprise, including managing a team and budget
- Willingness to commit a minimum of 2-3 years
- English fluency, and at least conversational Swahili
It would be great if you had:
- Passion / prior experience in the social sector (i.e., education, health etc.).
- Bonus points if you have previously run schools or a franchise network!
- Experience working in a start-up environment
- Previous exposure / experience in urban informal settlements
Send your Cover Letter and detailed CV to [email protected] marking the subject as “2799”, Your Full name & Phone number e.g. 2799 Barack Obama, +2547xxxxxxxx. If you don’t follow these instructions, your application will not go through.
Deadline for receiving applications: Monday, 29th May 2017
* You will receive a confirmation email and an alert to take a basic screening test over SMS or online. The email with the test may not arrive immediately. Please be patient. The email/SMS test will typically be 5-8 questions to help us understand your background. Regular SMS rates apply to the test.
If you apply and don’t meet these minimum qualifications, we won’t be able to forward your application to the employer.
Posted in Jobs Tags: Admin, Administration, and, building, business, business administration, capacity, care, child, childhood, country, development, early, Education, enterprise, field, Finance, financial, Group, growth, head, impact, information, IT, key, Leadership, manage, Management, manager, mentorship, nairobi, network, Nutrition, o, of, off, Office, one, operations, operations manager, opportunities, Opportunity, partner, Partnerships, people, program, program implementation, programs, Quality, senior, services, social, Social Enterprise, solutions, strategy, support, systems, teacher, team, the, training, two, work