Job Vacancy – Chief Operations Officer in Nairobi
Duma Works is recruiting a Chief Operations Officer for one of our clients; a high-growth edtech company in Nairobi.
The company is looking to hire an ambitious and analytical Chief Operations Officer to provide leadership in executing a bold vision of placing a smart personal learning assistant in everyone’s hands across Africa and globally. This is a full-time position with equity participation based at the company’s headquarters in Nairobi.
As the COO, you are a critical part of the leadership team reporting directly to the CEO with the following responsibilities:
● Contribute to the overall vision and goals of the company together with leadership;
● Design and implement successful strategies, initiatives, and measures to achieve operational objectives;
● Lead, hire for, and manage functional teams for Project Management, Finance, Talent, and Admin/Compliance;
● Option to lead the Product Team, depending on candidate’s skill set and career goals;
● Lead operationalization of new markets with existing partners;
● Develop risk identification and mitigation strategies;
● Lead efforts to identify opportunities and implement solutions for productivity and profitability gains;
● Support the CEO to raise investment rounds for growth financing;
● Contribute thought leadership internally and externally in relation to company’s business, vision, and innovation;
● Participate in community events, trade meetups, and industry workshops in Nairobi and globally.
Ambition, grit, and a desire to have impact are essential qualities for everyone on the team.
For this role, we’re also looking for someone who meets the following criteria:
● Master-level degree in Business Administration or related category of study;
● Experience leading teams and operations within organizations that have over 25 employees;
● 15+ years of relevant professional experience with a solid grasp of operations, finance, HR/talent, project management, and compliance;
● Demonstrated results related to cost management, productivity, and company growth;
● Ability to guide complex research and analysis that will fuel high-level business decisions;
● Experience structuring teams and upskilling talent;
● Fluency in English;
● Ability to live and work full-time in Nairobi, Kenya.
● Industry experience in education, advertising, publishing, or technology;
● Exposure to priority client verticals including financial services, agriculture, health, energy, humanitarian, and consumer goods;
● Working knowledge of STATA, R, or other data analysis tools and methodologies;
● Fluency in Swahili;
● Strong understanding of and history working in East Africa.
Compensation and Benefits:
The company aspires to be competitive on compensation although, as an early-stage social enterprise, many on the team work below market rate. To make up for that, staff are able to participate in the company’s employee share program. They also offer a comprehensive health insurance package and will cover the cost of a work permit for foreign staff. Other benefits include monthly airtime allowance, extra leave, a stocked kitchen, and plenty of ping-pong and foosball.
Send your Cover Letter and detailed CV to [email protected] marking the subject as “3200”, Your Full name & Phone number e.g. 3200 Barack Obama, +2547xxxxxxxx. If you don’t follow these instructions, your application will not go through.
Deadline for receiving applications: Friday, 02 February 2018
* You will receive a confirmation email and an alert to take a basic screening test over SMS or online. The email with the test may not arrive immediately. Please be patient. The email/SMS test will typically be 5-8 questions to help us understand your background. Regular SMS rates apply to the test.
If you apply and don’t meet these minimum qualifications, we will not be able to move forward with you application.
Posted in Jobs Tags: africa, analytical, business administration, business management, DUMA, DUMA Works, Find a Job, hire, Job Matching, Job Opening, Job Opportunity, job vacancy, jobs in nairobi, Kenya, Leadership, Management, nairobi, operations, operations management, Operations officer, Opportunity, Recruiting, talent, Vacancies, vacancy, works