Job Vacancy – Chief Technology Officer
Duma Works is recruiting a Chief Technology Officer for our client; a leading web and mobile services technology company in Nairobi.
We are looking for an experienced and talented Chief Technology Officer (CTO) with demonstrated leadership and success in complex, secure, high-volume and highly available processing and interaction environments with time in the trenches actually building solutions from code up. The CTO will be responsible for not only the teams that develop and implement our innovative technology, but also for the ongoing performance of those systems in support of the strategic initiatives of the business. This position offers tremendous career and personal growth opportunities.
Strategic oversight of all technology including, but not limited to:
- Management responsibility for all assets –hardware, software, and resources –that are related to technology functions.
- Creative and inventive thinking which will lead to technical initiatives to reach our corporate business objectives.
- Software design and development –with auditable history of active building.
- Project management.
- Definition of standards, policies, procedures and metrics.
- Development and adherence to departmental budgets.
- Decisions related to technical architecture.
- Documentation of systems’ design, feature, and function.
- Internal/external customer satisfaction with our technologies and services.
- Delivery of actionable data to internal and external customers.
- Providing high level technical expertise, technology leadership and use information technology for the strategic gain of the company.
- Understanding how IT drives the company and the context of technology in terms of other technical areas, the customer’s needs, the business impact and corporate strategy and to interpret this in terms that apply to both internal and external publics.
- Analyze situations, evaluate alternatives, and implement solutions within standards.
- Interpret guidelines and analyze factual information to adapt or modify processes in response to changing market circumstances.
- Responsible, with the support of a technical team for the creation, purchase, installation, and life-cycle maintenance of all company infrastructure deployments and the liaison with partners and customers for any technology related maters.
- To keep abreast with technology and to create systems that will allow the company to test, integrate and implement where possible new technology that will provide an edge in the market.
- Develop technical aspects of the company’s strategy to ensure alignment with its business goals.
- Discover and implement new technologies that yield competitive advantage.
- Help departments use technology profitably.
- Supervise system infrastructure to ensure functionality and efficiency.
- Build quality assurance and data protection processes.
- Use stakeholders’ feedback to inform necessary improvements and adjustments to technology.
- Communicate technology strategy to the rest of the C-Suite, board, partners and investors
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, second class honors, first division and above.
- Proven, 7 years of software development with at least 3 in a senior level position.
- Proven track record of success in leadership positions.
- Solution architecture competence.
- Expert level with version control system Git.
- Expert level with continuous integration.
- Extensive experience with MVC frameworks.
- Exceptional project management and organization skills.
- Competency in the Firebase service stack.
- Deep competency in Google Cloud Platform especially Compute, Storage and Big Data.
- Strong knowledge and implementation of Web Services & REST APIs. Including building and documentation of the same.
- Deep understanding and implementation of micro service architecture.
- Management of hosting environments, including database administration and scaling.
- Proficient database knowledge -MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite; capacity planning, installation, configuration,database design, migration, performance monitoring, security, troubleshooting, backup and data recovery.
- Proficient knowledge of PHP Frameworks –Laraveland Code Igniter preference.
- Proficient knowledge of NodeJSSetup and administration of backups.
- Proficient understanding and implementation of security principles.
- Comfortable working with huge data sets and massively high user load.
- Working knowledge of the general web and mobile landscape, architectures, trends, and emerging technologies.
- Solid understanding of the full software development life cycle.
- Ability to understand business requirements and translate them into technical requirements.
- A knack for benchmarking and performance optimization.
- Excellent verbal and written communication in English and Swahili
The plus: Credibility among industry peers must be demonstrated, contribution to the open source community, track record of successful projects, evidence of self-development by way of personal projects that show a different or new approach to the application of technology, deep understanding of messaging systems and protocols, deep understanding of creation of technical enterprise architecture.Working knowledge of JVM, Scala, Akka, and Cassandra will be an added advantage as will be Project Management certification
Send your Cover Letter and detailed CV to [email protected] marking the subject as “3014”, Your Full name & Phone number e.g. 3014 Barack Obama, +2547xxxxxxxx. If you don’t follow these instructions, your application will not go through.
Deadline for receiving applications: Friday, 08 September 2017
* You will receive a confirmation email and an alert to take a basic screening test over SMS or online. The email with the test may not arrive immediately. Please be patient. The email/SMS test will typically be 5-8 questions to help us understand your background. Regular SMS rates apply to the test.
If you apply and don’t meet these minimum qualifications, we won’t be able to forward your application to the employer.