Job Vacancy – Communications and Alumni Manager
Generation Kenya is recruiting a Communications and Alumni Manager to join their team in Nairobi.
Reporting to the Head of Business Development and Communications, the Communications & Alumni Manager will lead a variety of communication activities for Generation Kenya and oversee the alumni function. He/she will work closely with both Generation Kenya’s internal and external stakeholders to ensure well rounded and collaborated communications and alumni activities. The individual we are looking for is passionate about working with underserved and low-income communities and a willingness to impact society.
Who You Will Work With
You will be part of Generation:
Worldwide, more than 75 million young people are unemployed. But many employers can’t find people with the skills they need for entry-level jobs. Generation was created in 2014 to help bridge this gap—at speed and scale.
We have built a skills-training methodology that can serve hundreds of thousands, and eventually millions, of young people a year. And we’re building proof that this training creates real business outcomes for employers, and lasting career impact for trainees—so everyone has the incentive to invest in skills. Our goal is to help our students achieve personal and professional success—and fundamentally change their life trajectories. Generation programs prepare unemployed or underemployed young people, aged 18 to 35, for jobs in multiple sectors.
Generation programs are structured as intensive boot camps ranging from 4-12 weeks. The programs will offer students integrated technical, behavioral, mindset, and employment skills training, mentorship support and community services as well as job-placement support when they graduate.
Generation achieves this by following a demand-led process that involves the inclusion of employers from the start, screening and mobilization of students, experiential technical and soft skills training, social support of students and collection of data across the entire process.
Generation outcomes to date: Globally, Generation has graduated 35,000+ young people across 100+ cities in 13 countries, in just over five years of operation. In Kenya, Generation has successfully launched five training programs: Financial Services Sales, Retail and Restaurant Services, Distributed Sales, Customer Service Agents, Sewing Machine Operations, Food & Beverage Waiters Program. Generation Kenya has trained 18,000+ graduates to date, and in 2020 we are targeting to train over 6,000 additional graduates who will need to be placed into employment.
Communications – 80%
Ensuring Generation presents a consistent brand and engaging content to our audiences – young people ages 18 – 35, employers and partners. You will spotlight and amplify the great work being done by Generation to support unemployed and underemployed young people. Activities will include media relations, campaign management, social media, content creation (including writing, editing, design) and general marketing initiatives.
- Proactively managing press relations and creating informative, creative and interesting press releases, press kits, newsletters & related marketing material. Managing and writing of copy and content for a range of media including print and digital
- Ensuring consistency in communications materials across all functions and programs within Generation as per
Generation’s brand guidelines
- Developing an effective digital marketing strategy
- Managing social media channels for Generation across a range of channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn), working with the Communications & Alumni Officer in developing and testing content to engage our community and increase our reach
- Supporting outreach and engagement activity with relevant stakeholders
- Managing internal and external communications training on Generation, improving the training process and materials
- Proactively engaging with the global communications team to contribute to global communications efforts
- Taking the lead in organizing Generation’s annual graduation event and effectively managing the vendors and the contractual process
- Managing a pipeline of content including video, photo and written stories and testimonials from the field (alumni, employers, funders, delivery partners) for use in multichannel campaigns
- Proactively identifying and facilitating opportunities for Generation to participate in external events by relevant stakeholders and partners
- Tracking and measuring the effectiveness of communications efforts and sharing them with senior leadership and funders
- Developing and implementing communications plans that will extend Generation’s reach and impact, with an emphasis on building a youth-focused brand
- Maintaining communications plans, materials, and calendars
- Presenting communications plans and sharing results with senior leadership and funders
- Other communications-related activities as required
Coordination with Internal Team – 20%
- Managing communication with an alumni community of more than 18,000 graduates across various platforms (e.g., Facebook, Twitter, text)
- Managing Generation’s mentorship program to ensure effectiveness
- Managing the scheduling and organizing of alumni events (e.g., networking, reunions, short courses) for alumni members
- Managing efforts and activities aimed at keeping alumni connected to each other and Generation
- Putting in place a scalable system for discovering and sharing opportunities available to alumni.
- Managing the setting up of the alumni contribution and fundraising strategy
- Developing an alumni fundraising plan to encourage in-kind and financial contributions to support ongoing Generation operations
- Tracking and measuring the effectiveness of alumni coordination efforts and sharing them with senior leadership and funders
Essential Skills and Experience
- At least 5-7 years of communication experience
- Experience in working with press and preparing press materials
- Experience developing and implementing communications plans
- Experience with social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn) management and measurement
- Excellent writing, editing, and verbal communication skills
- Graphic design proficiency, specifically with the Adobe Creative Cloud suite
- Ability to manage multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Relationship-focused approach with the diplomacy to “manage by influence”
- Experience developing and delivering presentations to senior leadership
- Experience managing external vendors and budgets
Required Competencies and Mindsets
- Excited by the idea of working in a fast-moving global environment, balancing the opportunity to engage in a wide range of work with the necessary adaptability and flexibility to do so
- Passion for working in a mission-driven environment
- Proactive collaborator, willing to propose solutions and ideas to challenges based on expertise, debate their merits and make final recommendations
- Self-reflective and open to receiving and giving frequent feedback
- A positive, solution-oriented attitude, drive for excellence, and ability to be a team player
- A strong sense of ownership (takes personal responsibility for meeting objectives) and timeliness
- Ability to comfortably navigate new technologies
- High level of attention to detail and interactions
This position is a 2-year fixed-term employment engagement with a possibility of renewal based on performance
More about Generation and how to apply: www.generation.org
Please send an application attaching a CV to [email protected] on or before 5pm Thursday 6th February 2020
Equality and diversity: Generation is committed both to promoting equality and diversity within the organization and to equal opportunities in employment. We believe in equality of opportunity regardless of race or racial group (including colour, nationality, ethnicity, national origins), religion or belief, age, disability, sexual orientation, sex, gender re-assignment and gender identity, marriage, and civil partnership, and pregnancy, maternity, and paternity. This also includes any incidents of perceptive or associative discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are made entirely on merit. Generation does not ask for payment from people that apply for jobs with Generation at any stage of the hiring process. If you have any specific queries, please feel free to contact us at [email protected].
Posted in Jobs Tags: adobe, Alumni, and, Apply, business development, career, Communications, content creation, Customer service, Design, digital marketing, event, field, general, graduate, Graphic design, Job Opening, Job Opportunity, job vacancy, jobs in kenya, jobs in nairobi, Kenya, Leadership, Marketing, media, mentorship, networking, operations, Opportunity