Job Vacancy – Communications Coordinator
Duma Works is supporting CLASP to recruit a Communications Coordinator in Nairobi, Kenya.
About the Organization
CLASP serves at the epicenter of collaborative, ambitious efforts to mitigate climate change and in the global movement for clean energy access, through appliance efficiency. Our mission is to improve the energy and environmental performance of the appliances & equipment we use every day, accelerating our transition to a more sustainable world. We work hand-in-hand with governments, experts, industry, consumers, donor organizations and others to propel policies and markets toward the highest-quality, lowest resource-intensive appliances possible.
CLASP has worked in more than 100 countries since inception in 1999. CLASP is headquartered in Washington, DC, with teams in Europe, Kenya, India and Indonesia. We’re mission-driven and committed to a culture of diversity, transparency, collaboration, and impactful work. See our Team Page to learn more about us.
CLASP is seeking an early-career communications professional who is ready to take their experience to the next level with our growing team. The Coordinator will support CLASP’s Clean Energy Access team, which works in partnership with stakeholders across Africa and South Asia to improve markets for energy efficient, high-quality appliances, both on and off the grid. Our team provides world-class technical and advisory services aimed at developing global off-grid appliance markets.
50% of the Coordinator’s time will be spent support communications for VeraSol, an evolution of Lighting Global Quality Assurance and one of the longest-standing support programs for the off-grid solar sector. The VeraSol Quality Assurance program helps stakeholders
identify high performing products through activities like developing test methods and standards, engaging with IEC to adopt quality standards, working with governments and policymakers to harmonize standards, managing test lab networks, and communicating information about product quality.
The other 50% of the Coordinator’s time will go towards supporting communications for the Efficiency for Access Coalition. Efficiency for Access is a global coalition working to promote high performing appliances that contribute to clean energy access for the world’s poorest people. They will be responsible for a variety of internal and external communications functions, including (but are not limited to):
- Write and schedule social media content for Twitter and LinkedIn as part of ongoing communications across various CLASP
brands (Efficiency for Access, Global LEAP Awards, VeraSol, and CLASP handles).
- Lead aspects of content creation for upcoming communications campaigns (e.g. preparing partner toolkits; planning Twitter chats and/or webinars).
- Coordinate and develop content for our monthly Efficiency for Access and VeraSol newsletters.
- Contribute to the development of new graphics and data visualization tools for use on social media and the Efficiency for Access and VeraSol websites.
- Assist with communications around dissemination of our upcoming research reports and/or tools. Design and format reports, blog posts, and other publications following Efficiency for Access and VeraSol brand guidelines.
- Contribute to the development of research summaries, blogs, and thought pieces for digital distribution.
- Support the production of Clean Energy Access podcasts.
- Manage critical program administrative tasks and day-to-day activities that ensure program impacts (e.g., develop and maintain contact databases, organize video and teleconferences, track online content engagement via Sprout Social and Google Analytics).
- Research innovative ways to communicate our Clean Energy Access initiatives through local media outlets (Africa-specific).
- Coordinate across teams to ensure consistent programmatic updates are coming out of the CLASP Nairobi office.
- Represent CLASP on external forums and conferences.
A successful candidate will demonstrate dedication to CLASP’s mission and theory of change and understand how an impactful communications portfolio can further that mission. The Coordinator will be an excellent writer, have the skills to convey information through writing, graphics, and visual storytelling, and know how to turn complex ideas into impactful and concise narratives.
CLASP is a fast-paced, international, and highly collegial work environment. The right candidate will be able to move creatively and strategically from idea to implementation, know how to prioritize and re-prioritize in a fast-paced work environment, move between the small details and the big picture with skill, bring well-honed listening and interpersonal skills, and have the ability to filter many streams of information for the best process or end product.
- 1-3 years of previous communications experience
- Bachelor’s degree (relevant field preferred)
- Strong writer; must be able to write about technical content without getting bogged down in the weeds or conversely losing the potency of the content
- Good visual eye; must be able to reproduce CLASP and CLASP family of brands across multi- media
- Effective project management and team coordination skills; knows how to work through people to get results and can own processes across teams
- Excellent written communication skills; proven ability in being able to take complex, technical ideas and turn them into compelling stories in a variety of formats: web, print publications, briefing papers, digital media, and social media all a plus; experience writing funding proposals ideal
- Strong time management and organizational skills with ability to manage multiple tasks and projects at a time under deadline while managing other colleagues
- Confident and polished verbal communication skills; ability to connect with and influence people in a diverse, international work environment
- Strong work ethic and an ability to take initiative; a drive to learn and grow on the job
- Multi-lingual: English and Kiswahili, French or another African language preferred, not required
- Ability to maintain composure, flexibility, and a sense of humor under tight deadlines
- Intellectual agility and a commitment to professional development
- Professional experience in business development and/or program administration; experience in the energy efficiency, renewable energy, energy management or analogous sectors preferred; familiarity with technical, economic, market and/or policy analysis of these sectors and/or qualitative research methods is ideal
- Proficiency in Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, and Microsoft Office Suite; experience with WordPress a plus
Compensation and Location
CLASP provides its employees with a highly competitive salary that is benchmarked annually with other non-profit organizations in Nairobi. CLASP also provides a comprehensive and outstanding benefits package, including fully paid health insurance for individuals and competitive rates for families/dependents, unlimited leave and all federal holidays, an impressive match of employee contributions to retirement plan, and a collegial office environment that supports professional development, wellness and flexible telecommuting options.
This is a one-year, full-time position, with the opportunity for extension. The Coordinator will be based in the organization’s Nairobi office. Preference for Kenyan nationals. Occasional travel (domestic and international), as well as evening or weekend hours, may be required.
Duma is assisting CLASP in its recruitment efforts.
Click here to submit your application through the Duma Works portal. Please direct all applications and inquiries to Duma.
This position will remain open until filled.
CLASP is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve. Each person is evaluated based on personal skill and merit.
* You will receive a confirmation email and an alert to take a basic screening test online. The email with the test may not arrive immediately. Please be patient. The email test will typically be 5-8 questions to help us understand your background.
If you apply and don’t meet these minimum qualifications, we will not move forward with your application.
Posted in Jobs Tags: Administration, adobe, adobe illustrator, africa, analysis, assurance, brand, business, business development, clean energy, climate change, communication, communication coordinator, Communications, communications associate, communications jobs, content, content creation, coordinator, creation, Data, Design, development, digital, digital media, distribution, donor, DUMA, Economic, employee, energy, environment, field, french, graphics, grid, Humor, illustrator, indesign, industry, information, insurance, international, job, Kenya, level, manage, Management, market, Markets, media, nairobi, NGO, Office, online, Opportunity, partner, people, person, personal, planning, policies, print, product, production, professional, program, programs, project, project management, proposals, Quality, quality assurance, Recruitment, renewable, renewable energy, reports, representative, research, salary, services, social, Social Media, solar, support, team, technical, the, travel, Twitter, visual, web, work, writer, writing