Job Vacancy – Director of Sales & Marketing
Duma Works is recruiting a Director of Sales and Marketing for one of our clients in Rwanda; a company that is transforming the way people live, by making homes healthier for families across rural Rwanda.
The person hired for this role will have a unique and urgent opportunity to catapult us to the next level of impact. We are in a great place; we have developed an excellent product that our customers cherish and that has multiplicative health, employment, and environmental benefits. We have scaled rapidly to reach over 600 customers in just over a year and a half. Now, we are ready for a visionary Director of Sales and Marketing to pilot and implement innovative strategies and business models to fundamentally disrupt the home improvement market for the rural poor.
The Director of Sales and Marketing will lead the company’s swift expansion to new geographic regions as well as to even lower socio-economic segments of the population. The job will include piloting, iterating, and implementing strategies to improve all aspects of customer relationship management: marketing, sales, branding, payment plans, promotions, pricing, and after-service support. It will also include developing and testing scaling models (Organic growth? Franchising? Partnerships? Licensing our oil? The options are endless!). We need someone who is wildly creative and intellectually curious, excited to take big risks that yield high returns, looks forward to days in the field getting their hands dirty and talking to rural customers, and who runs towards the most challenging of problems, never giving up.
• Developing marketing strategies across Rwanda, e.g. organizing market days, door to-door sales, village events, village meeting announcements, and a rock-solid customer referral strategy (most of our sales are currently referrals, yet we don’t have a referrals system in place, given the challenges of tracking them)
• Piloting innovative savings and credit mechanisms to help customers finance the floor over time (including collateral for savings)
• Constantly assessing willingness to pay and elasticity of demand to optimize both impact and revenue
• Developing a training academy for sales representatives and supervisory structures (as needed)
• Identifying potential partnerships and negotiating partnership agreements (for financing, marketing, sales, etc.)
• Enacting an efficient customer follow up system to obtain satisfaction scores and respond to complaints
• Ensuring customer default rates and cancellation rates are low
• Collecting live and accurate data on leads and clients (including their location) via mobile technology
• Working closely with Operations team to align supply and demand
• Supporting local brand development and ensuring excellent deals for branded collateral
• Building a team that efficiently handles marketing, sales, financing, customer service, and partnerships
• Working closely with other senior leadership to determine the optimal business model to scale
• Educational level of A1 or B.A. in business, management, marketing, economics or a related field
• 5+ years of marketing and sales experience with 2 years in a management role; experience with fast-growing start-ups is a plus
• Commitment to Rwanda and specifically working in rural environments for 2+ years
• Experience living and working in a developing country
• Creative and artistic with an eye for strong visual design and video design
• Experience managing and analyzing budgets; modeling cost-effectiveness of marketing strategies
• Resourcefulness and critical thinking skills to quickly determine why something isn’t working and iterate quickly to try to solve it; creative problem solving
• Exceptional people skills and managerial skills; avid team player; coaching and mentoring approach
• Ability to work on a variety of tasks at the same time
• Maturity and poise under stress
• Excellent attention to detail, commitment to excellence, and outstanding work ethic
• Positive attitude, sense of humor, entrepreneurial spirit, curiosity to learn new things, patient with others
• Passionate about international development and social enterprise
• Strong technology skills (knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Google Docs, and Dropbox)
• Graduate degree (MBA, MPA/ID, MPA, MPH, etc.) a plus, but not required
• Fluency in English.
Send your Cover Letter and detailed CV to [email protected] marking the subject as “2820”, Your Full name & Phone number e.g. 2820 Barack Obama, +2547xxxxxxxx. If you don’t follow these instructions, your application will not go through.
Deadline for receiving applications: Friday, 17th November 2017
* You will receive a confirmation email and an alert to take a basic screening test over SMS or online. The email with the test may not arrive immediately. Please be patient. The email/SMS test will typically be 5-8 questions to help us understand your background. Regular SMS rates apply to the test.
If you apply and don’t meet these minimum qualifications, we won’t be able to forward your application to the employer.
Posted in Jobs Tags: business development, business management, Customer service, director, DUMA, DUMA Works, economics, Employment, job, Job Matching, Job Opening, Job Opportunity, job vacancy, Jobs, jobs in Rwanda, Leadership, Management, market, Marketing, marketing manager, operations, Opportunity, Recruiting, representatives, Rwanda, Rwanda jobs, sales, Sales Director, Sales Manager, Sales representatives, senior, Social Enterprise, Startup, strategy, Vacancies, vacancy