Job Vacancy – Education Assistant – Meru Ecosystem
Description of role:
- Implement Born Free Kenya’s education programme in the Meru Ecosystem, under the guidance of the Community Officer – covering teaching sessions, activity planning and day to day programme monitoring
- Ensure consistency in school-based education programme approach and delivery across the Meru Ecosystem, to increase the understanding of Born Free’s work
- Take an active role in the development of lesson plans to support the delivery of the school-based conservation club curriculum
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with partner schools to support Born Free’s Education Programme
- Work with the Community Officer and the local Born Free Conservation Teams to ensure the translation of Born Free’s work into a clear educational message that enables local communities to take effective action and make positive behavioural changes
- Assist the Community Officer to deliver community outreach and awareness sessions
- Collaborate with the teams to develop novel ways to engage different audiences, including identifying social, cultural, political, and psychological factors that may affect decision making
- Implement an Education Programme evaluation process that allows Born Free to collate, analyse and apply feedback on the education activities undertaken
- Participate in the organisation and delivery of education and conservation events
- Any other duty as assigned by Education Manager
Required qualifications and skills:
- Undergraduate degree in environmental education or wildlife management or related field, or diploma in environmental education or wildlife management with at least 3 years field experience.
- Ability to interpret and deliver curriculums and prepare lesson plans is essential
- Experience working in and out of an office setup and collaborating with schools and community members
- Ability to interact with and positively influence people and share knowledge without bias
- A good listener capable of being objective and non-judgemental
- Strong people skills, ability to work independently, and within a team environment
- Strong communication skills as well as report writing skills targeted at different audiences, including a wide variety of age ranges and groups from different cultural backgrounds
- Ability to deliver learning using creative and innovative, non-conventional classroom learning methods
- Fluent in English and Kiswahili
- An understanding of and familiarity with the job area
- Dedicated, highly motivated and reliable with the ability to prioritise work and manage time and projects effectively
- Ability and willingness to drive and care for project vehicle as per Born Free motor vehicle policy.
To apply online click here
This position will remain open until filled.
* You will receive a confirmation email and an alert to take a basic screening test online. The email with the test may not arrive immediately. Please be patient. The email test will typically be 5-8 questions to help us understand your background.
If you apply and don’t meet these minimum qualifications, we will not be able to move forward with your application.
Posted in Jobs Tags: Born Free, communication skills, Communications, conservation jobs, development, Education, environmental education, evaluation, Finance, Jobs in Meru, Kenya, Knowledge, learning, M&E, manage, Management, manager, Meru, Monitoring and evaluation, planning, project, report writing, teaching, wildlife conservation jobs, wildlife jobs, wildlife management, wildlife management careers