Job Vacancy – Education Project Officer – Amboseli Ecosystem
Duma Works is recruiting an Education Project Officer – Amboseli Ecosystem for our client; a non-profit that works to preserve and protect wildlife in its natural habitat.
Our client protects wildlife by developing sustainable systems for co-existence that enable wild animals to thrive in the wild, free from human exploitation. They believe that humans and animals have equal right to live on our shared planet and that the wild must survive for the sake of humanity as well as the animals. This role will be based full time in the Amboseli region.
Description of role
To deliver the organisation’s education programme in the Amboseli Ecosystem. This will include working with the Education Programmes Leader on the planning and implementation of a local wildlife and environmental curriculums/community action plans (including individual animals and wild animal welfare); delivery of regular teaching sessions and participation in practical conservation activities within partner schools and communities; the creation of relevant materials; and management of the relationship with partner schools and communities in line with the organisation’ objectives.
- Implement the organisation’s education programme in the Amboseli ecosystem, under the guidance of the Education Programme Leader -covering teaching sessions and activity planning and day to day programme monitoring
- Ensure consistency in education programme approach and delivery across the Amboseli Ecosystem to increase the understanding of the organisation’s work and in line with its vision and mission
- Working with the local conservation team to ensure the translation of the organisation’s work into a clear educational message that enables external audiences to take effective action and make positive behavioural changes
- Collaborating with the wider team to develop novel ways to engage different audiences, including identifying social, cultural, political and psychological factors that may affect decision making
- Developing strong relationships with partner schools and communities to support the organisation’s education programme
- Implement an education programme evaluation process that allows the organisation to collate, analyse and apply feedback on the educational activities undertaken
The role reports directly to the Education Programmes Leader (technical management of the education activities) and Amboseli Manager (day-to-day management). Key internal staff relationships include the organisation’s Kenya staff based in Amboseli, the Office Manager, and GIS Officer and the role counterpart located in Meru National Park.
Required qualifications and skills
- Minimum diploma but preferably undergraduate level of education in the environmental field
- At least 3 years work experience in environmental education or conservation field
- Experience working in an out of office setup and working with community members
- Ability to interact with and positively influence people and share knowledge without bias
- A good listener capable of being objective and non-judgemental
- Project management skills and experience, including strong organisational skills and financial accountability;
- Strong interpersonal skills: ability to work independently, and within a team environment;
- Strong communication as well as report and writing skills targeted at different audiences, including a wide variety of age ranges and groups from different cultural backgrounds;
- Fluency in at least one of the main local languages and an understanding of the different cultures and traditions of the groups in the job area
- An understanding of and familiarity with the job area
- Dedicated, highly motivated and reliable with the ability to prioritise work and manage time and projects effectively;
- Valid Driving License with 2years driving experience
To apply online click here or send your Cover Letter and detailed CV to [email protected] marking the subject as “3597”, Your Full name & Phone number e.g. 3597 Barack Obama, +2547xxxxxxxx. If you don’t follow these instructions, your application will not go through.
Deadline for receiving applications: Friday, 10 May 2019
* You will receive a confirmation email and an alert to take a basic screening test over SMS or online. The email with the test may not arrive immediately. Please be patient. The email/SMS test will typically be 5-8 questions to help us understand your background. Regular SMS rates apply to the test.
If you apply and don’t meet these minimum qualifications, we will not be able to move forward with your application.
Posted in Jobs Tags: and, Apply, area, client, communication, creation, delivery, diploma, driving, Education, evaluation, field, financial, full time, human, job, Kenya, key, Knowledge, level, line, manage, Management, manager, Meru, monitoring, of, Office, office manager, officer, one, partner, people, planning, project, Recruiting, Relationship, reports, social, support, systems, teaching, team, work, works, writing