Job Vacancy – eMobility Technician
Duma Works is recruiting an eMobility Technician for one of our clients in the western region.
WeTu is a social enterprise in the Lake Victoria region. Our vision is to improve lives in rural Kenya by creating sustainable solutions through innovative products and services targeting key needs of rural populations: energy, water, and mobility. We leverage German technology to drive innovations and improvements in rural lives using a business model.
To deliver our service to our clients and closely interact with them to understand their evolving needs and interests, WeTu operates a hub model. Currently, our hubs are located in Mbita, Homa Bay, Sori, Sindu, Nyandiwa, Ragwe, and Hongwe and have modern state-of-the-art German water filtration technology and solar equipment.
We currently have two successful product lines which we are planning to grow through franchise or other business growth models:
Water services: We provide clean and safe drinking water at a competitive price and carry out sanitation and hygiene trainings to raise awareness.
Solar lanterns: Omenafishermenuse our modern and safe technology, which helps them save money while having an environmentally friendly source of light while working at night on their boats.
We are now introducing a third product line into the market, to meet the mobility needs of rural businesses and families in a sustainable, clean and climate friendly way. Starting with e-cargo bikes, charged by solar, we will close the last-mile transport challenge in the communities we work in. Over time we plan to pilot and introduce other electric transport solutions such as e-motorbikes and boat engines. With reduced CO2 emissions and costs, the environmental and social impact for rural locations will be significant.The design of the vehicles enables local production, leading to job creation and a sense of ownership among local communities.
After 10 years of operations, we recently rebranded to WeTu and are a team of about 20 staff in the seven locations and in Nairobi and Munich, Germany where the board of the company is located.
About the Role
We are looking for two hands on eMobility Technicians (one in Sori, one in Homa Bay) who will support the technical roll out of the electric vehicle fleet.
You will support the two eMobility Business Developers in fleet management, do mechanical trouble shooting of vehicles, support the welding and maintenance of the bikes and develop and maintain technical reports.
We are looking for two self-driven candidates with strong commitment and high energy who are excited to pilot new and exciting technical models in Western Kenya!
Location of employment is Sori or Mbita or Homa Bay with regular travel to other hubs (Nyndiwa, Sindu etc.).
Your responsibilities will include:
Mechanical Trouble Shooting and Repairs
- Check and maintain our fleet of
- 20 e-cargo bicycles
- 30 converted e-bodas
- 30 new e-bodas
- E-outboarder boat engines
- Administer mechanical maintenance program utilizing the e-mobility team to ensure planning and assigning work, inspecting completed work, maintaining compliance to safety and governmental standards. Develop and maintain protocols
- Maintain our workshop in Homa Bay and the smaller service points in Mbita and Sori
Fleet Management and scheduling
- Support the management, leasing and scheduling of our fleet in the various locations
- Service fleet to ensure smooth leasing process for the clients
- Develop and maintain protocols
- Support the designing, manufacturing, installing and evaluating components in the production processes of fleet
- Identify operational issues, potential problems and opportunities in the production cycle;
- Develop supplier knowledge for local parts
What we are looking for
- You are excited about working in a social enterprise and pushing innovation in rural development through business approaches.
- You see potential and opportunities in WeTu’s electric mobility products.
- You have at least 3-5 years of work experience in the mechanical field
- You have experience working in rural/peri-urban setting and feel confident working with bodaboda operators, local fishermen, and other local user groups
- You are willing to travel regularly to the various hub locations in the area
- You are very organized, with good time management.
- You hold a technical degree (TVET or NITA) in mechanics or similar
- You have practical experience servicing and maintaining motorbikes or boat engines
You fit into our culture if:
- You are excited about moving a social enterprise forward and to implement state of the art technology and business models
- You are passionate about sustainability and new forms of transport
- You enjoy working in a peri-urban environment with different locations to pilot innovative business models
- You learn fast and adapt quickly to new demands
- You enjoy working with various clients as well as an international board
Why work with us?
- Be part of driving socio-economic development through business expansion and growth in Homa Bay, Migori and Siaya County
- See the results of your work and leave your footprint: shape, pilot, test and implement innovative business models yourself
- Work in a value-led organization
- Exposure to research and technology partners from Germany and other places
- Health insurance
The role is based in either Sori, Mbita or Homa Bay. Our staff is spread over the seven locations so regular local travel is required. Ideal start date is March 2020, as we are starting our pilots on the ground soon. We are looking for candidates who want to grow with us and are ready to commit to at least two years.
There is a three-month probation period and we will agree on performance and learning objectives.
* You will receive a confirmation email and an alert to take a basic screening test over SMS or online. The email with the test may not arrive immediately. Please be patient. The email/SMS test will typically be 5-8 questions to help us understand your background. Regular SMS rates apply to the test.
If you apply and don’t meet these minimum qualifications, we will not be able to move forward with your application.
Posted in Jobs Tags: business, company, compliance, creation, Design, designing, development, Employment, energy, enterprise, field, grid, growth, impact, innovation, international, job, jobs in western, Kenya, Knowledge, learning, line, maintenance, Management, manufacturing, market, mechanical, Mechanical engineer, mechanical engineering, mechanical jobs in kenya, Mechanical technician, operations, opportunities, pilot, planning, product, production, program, reports, research, rural, rural development, services, social, Social Enterprise, solar, solutions, support, team, technical, technology, the, transport, travel, two, web, welding, work