Job Vacancy – Finance Manager
Duma Works is recruiting a Finance Manager for Husk in Dar es Salaam. Husk is one of the world’s leading rural utilities. We provide reliable power to households and businesses, entirely from renewable energy sources – 24 hours a day, 7 days a
week – at a price they can afford.
Husk is one of the world’s leading rural utilities. We provide reliable power to households and businesses, entirely from renewable energy sources – 24 hours a day, 7 days a
week – at a price they can afford.
We design, build, own and operate the lowest cost hybrid power plant and distribution network in India and Africa. We offer our customers a flexible ‘pay-as-you-go’ energy service, using a mobile-enabled smart metering system.
We provide low-cost energy that matches the growing needs of our customers; for households, community services and productive uses. Our grid-compatible solution can be rolled out quickly and cost effectively to support national electrification plans. To date, Husk has provided electricity to over 12,000 homes and businesses in rural India and Tanzania, reducing 95,000 tonnes of CO2.
Husk is poised to grow rapidly over the next four years and envisions adding over 300 mini-grids in India and Tanzania, deploying 15 MW of 100 percent renewable power plant
assets that would eliminate 150,000 tons of CO2 per year (equivalent to eliminating 56 million liters of diesel per year). These mini-grids will serve over 100,000 customers.
Finance manager will be accountable for the accounting operations of the company, maintenance of an adequate system of business performance and accounting records, and a
comprehensive set of controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk, enhance the accuracy of the company’s reported financial results, and ensure that reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles or international financial reporting standards.
- Maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures
- Possess an excellent knowledge of accounting software and ERP system and can implement one at Husk
- Produce time monthly and quarterly reporting of business financial performance
- Manage the operations of the accounting department, including recruitment and training of Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable personnel
- Be a very hands-on manager with abilities to build financial model and train others to do so
- Develop and maintain appropriate internal controls and financial procedures
- Interact with Husk team in India,remain up to date on best practices for audits, financial reporting, tax matters, relevant laws and practice
- Interact with the CFO time to time
- Implement and maintain the Finance and Business Performance systems (ERP) needed to effectively control the Company
- Manage a continuous improvement process to get to best value systems for the business
Budgeting and reporting
- Generate a timely and accurate monthly and quarterly reports
- Run a monthly comparison of actuals vs budget and report to senior management of variations from the budget and the reasons behind those variance
- Develop annual budget and link budgets with company quarterly objectives
- Develop key financial drivers and KPIs across the business and report insights
- Build risk management framework as company expands swiftly
- Coordinate with Husk team in other countries to deliver on a rolled up Corporate Financial reports
- Manage the accounts receivable and accounts payable processes in a manner that enables Husk to achieve a positive working capital process
- Negotiate payable terms with the suppliers to ensure that Husk secures at least a 45-days credit
- Ensure all A/R are collected within 30 days and all the expenses are reconciled timely
- Process the payroll in a timely and consistent manner
- Conduct a daily closing of books with the banks and ensure that cash is matched at the end of the day and everyday.
Overall Compliance, Tax Planning and Financial Reporting
- Prepare financial reports that follow IFRS accounting principles
- Coordinate tax filing and reporting processes at local, state and federal levels
- Work with internal and external auditors to get financial audit completed in a timely fashion.
Contract negotiations and management
- Lead negotiations on long term contracts and agreements with key partners
- Liaison with government agencies to secure concessions/exclusivity for Husk operations
- Improve strategic relationships with suppliers to enhance contract lifecycle management.
- Bachelor’s degree is required; a relevant advanced degree is strongly preferred
- Certified Public Accountant or equivalent international degree in accounting
- MBA preferred
Relevant Experience in years
- 5+ years of total experience in handing responsibilities across finance functions
- Experience in financials controls, accounting and compliance, full accountability preferred
- 3+ of experience in the Accounts Receivable and/or Accounts Payable function is strongly preferred
- Experience in generating and managing financial reports is preferred
- Experience working with external audit firms for completing company’s audit
- Experience in utility sector, telecom or oil and gas sector preferred
Location and Travel
- This role is based in Dar es Salaam
- Eagerness to around Tanzania at Husk operating sites (anticipated 6-8 trips per year).
What are we looking for?
This leader will care deeply about solving the problems of access to energy for rural poor. This person will bring more than passion to the role: s/he will have the grit and resilience to do this work.S/he is a thoughtful and a change agent who understands organizational dynamics. S/he will be energized by the intellectual curiosity of their peers and have the humility to recognize all there is to learn from them.
- Commitment – You are willing to apply yourself to achieve a goal and to work for a cause. You do not hesitate to go the extra mile for delighting stakeholders
- Initiative – You are self-starter and very hands-on with a desire to excel
- Perspective – You understand the big picture. You know how to shift perspective from the details of the task at hand to the impact on the organization as a whole
- Intuition about people. You are able to build and develop a high performing team; you need to bring together the right people that can play off each other, support each other, push each other and thrive
- Stamina – You have the stamina to withstand the pressures of the job and the resilience to bounce back from setbacks
- Open attitude toward change – You are not set in your ways. You are a good listener and you use input and feedback to continually improve
- Lean Operations – excited about being hands on and utilize limited resources to achieve unprecedented result
To apply online click here or send your Cover Letter and detailed CV to [email protected] marking the subject as “3306”, Your Full name & Phone number e.g. 3306 Barack Obama, +2547xxxxxxxx. If you don’t follow these instructions, your application will not go through.
Deadline for receiving applications: Friday, 2oth April 2018
* You will receive a confirmation email and an alert to take a basic screening test over SMS or online. The email with the test may not arrive immediately. Please be patient. The email/SMS test will typically be 5-8 questions to help us understand your background. Regular SMS rates apply to the test.
If you apply and don’t meet these minimum qualifications, we will not be able to move forward with you application.
Posted in Jobs Tags: accountant, Accounting, accounts, africa, agent, and, Apply, audit, Best Practices, business, care, CFO, company, compliance, control, corporate, cost, Design, electricity, energy, ERP, fashion, Finance, financial, government, impact, international, job, key, Knowledge, maintenance, Management, manager, network, of, off, one, operations, people, person, planning, policies, power, R, Recruitment, renewable, renewable energy, reporting, risk management, rural, s, senior, service, services, software, support, systems, tanzania, team, training, work