Job Vacancy – General Manager in Githunguri
Duma Works is recruiting a General Manager for our client; Takamoto Biogas.
Takamoto Biogas is a rapidly growing renewable energy company in Nairobi providing biogas systems to small farmers in rural Kenya.
Building on two years of market research and installation experience, we have developed a new business model and technology that will bring the many benefits of biogas energy to the masses in Kenya by eliminating the main hurdle to its adoption – the high upfront cost.
The new technology overcomes the biggest hurdle in biogas implementation, reducing the initial cost to consumers from KES 100,000 per unit by 85%. In Kenya alone, there are two million farmers with at least one cow who are potential clients. Takamoto have piloted the new technology in Githunguri, and have now installed 300 systems. Having proven the demand, they are now preparing to scale up operations.
Biogas is a versatile fuel that can be used for cooking, lighting and heating that many people can produce on their own farms with their animal waste. Use of biogas also decreases deforestation, reduces our clients’ workload and burns cleanly, protecting their health and homes.
The General Manager will handle all aspects of the operations of the business including distribution of products, research and development, accounting, marketing, sales, human resource recruiting, quality control, payment collection and credit approval. The General Manager will report to the Board of Directors and will operate to annual plans developed with and approved by the Board of Directors.
- Previous experience scaling up a business across East Africa
- Previous experience with rural sales and distribution
- Previous experience with providing credit to customers through banking, MFI, SACCO etc
- 5 years previous experience managing a team of 50 or more
- University graduate, preferably with MBA
- Extensive personal network in Nairobi and rural Kenya
- Previous experience reporting to board of directors
- Excellent, proven interpersonal, verbal and written communications skills
- Fit in with company culture: we get our hands dirty, no job is above anyone, we work together to come up with solution, we think before we act, we value a longterm relationship with our customers
- Thorough understanding of business systems and how to use technology to increase efficiency
- Manage all aspects of the business and deliver against agreed targets from the BoD (on number of sales, gross margin, operating costs, overhead costs, credit and portfolio at risk), specifically:
- Overseeing daily operations through direct reports: operations manager, sales manager, credit manager, office manager, accountant
- Implementing growth strategy as developed early 2017, steer / adapt where needed, propose new or improved work processes and/or business models for scale up
- Recruitment of new staff – primarily direct reports, approving sales reps and technicians/interns for Sales Mgr and Ops Mgr
- Management of cash flow and monthly budget
- HR: Coaching direct reports for improved performance in compliance, own work area and contribution to sales; managing underperformance (corrective actions where needed)
- Preparation of monthly reports to required standard, run board meetings
- Initiate, establish and grow relationships with external organizations to promote Takamoto and support the growth strategy. Act as face to the outside world
- Escalate issues timely to board level where appropriate
Work pattern and location
Full time, 40 hrs/week, office based in Githunguri for at least 3 days/week, other days in Nairobi where required for external meetings
Send a Cover Letter and detailed CV to [email protected] marking the subject as “2732”, Your Full name & Phone number e.g. 2732 Barack Obama, +2547xxxxxxxx. If you don’t follow these instructions, your application will not go through.
Deadline for receiving applications: 30th May 2017
* You will receive a confirmation email and an alert to take a basic screening test over SMS or online. The email with the test may not arrive immediately. Please be patient. The email/SMS test will typically be 5-8 questions to help us understand your background. Regular SMS rates apply to the test. If you have any issues with the process, please reach out to +254702093793.
If you apply and don’t meet these minimum qualifications, we won’t be able to forward your application to the employer.
Posted in Jobs Tags: banking, biogas, business management, general manager, Githunguri, GM jobs, job, jons in Kenya, project oversight, renewable energy, sacco, strategy, vacancy