Job Vacancy – Head Chef
Our client in the Tourism and Hospitality industry is looking to hire a Head Chef to be based in Kampala or Kigali with frequent travel between the company lodges for staff training and supervision. This role is open to all East African Nationals.
POSITION: Head Chef
REPORTING TO: Lodge Manager
The head chef is in charge of the whole lodge kitchen and the kitchen staff. With the support of the Lodge Manager and Assistant Manager, he/she is responsible to serve high standards of quality foods to the guests at all times. He/she will apply and follow the company’s kitchen standards and procedures while maintaining guests’ satisfaction and food safety standards.
- Offer the guests a memorable and pleasing food experience
- The company’s head chefs are expected to cook and clean to the highest set standards
- The head chef is in charge of all the cooking and of every part of the foodservice operation, including daily operations of the kitchen, improving and respecting the standards of menus, purchasing of fresh/ quality food general control over stock of food and kitchen equipment etc.
- He/she has overall responsibility for all the food that comes out of the kitchen.
- He/she is to follow and maintain the company’s kitchen standards and set menus when it comes to recipes, food quality, freshness, portions, garnishing and presentation in order to ensure consistency and guest satisfaction.
- Anticipate and pay great attention to guests’ comments, dietary requirements, likes and dislikes (Management to communicate these information to the chefs on duty or at the daily morning meeting).
- Introduce yourself and interact with the guests while taking their choice of dinner menu on a daily basis. (It is your “one on one moment” out of the shadow of the kitchen!)
- Be accommodating and flexible with the type and service of food based on the guests’ daily activities and food requests.
- Attend staff general meetings, including the daily morning meeting with all heads of departments and participate in the discussions.
- Discuss/share any guests’ food comments or complaints with the other chefs in order to learn and improve the food standards.
- Responsible for keeping fridges and freezers clean and in order (food portions nicely wrapped, fish, meat, pastries etc separated….)
- Monitor sanitation practices to ensure that employees follow the company’s standards and regulations.
- Stock control & costing of food. Estimate amounts and costs of required supplies, such as food and ingredients (based on the lodge occupancy and available budget)
- Sometimes you might be required to take over lodge management in the absence of the lodge manager and assistant manager.
- He/she should abide by the company rules and regulations on discipline and following the right set company procedures on reporting.
- Act as an ambassador for the company’s brand at all times and ensure group values are upheld to both external and internal contacts, through appropriate behavior and performance.
- Work closely with the Lodge Operations Manager. Lodge Manager and Assistant Manager with regards to: general assistance/support in daily running of the kitchen, efficient communication, maintaining kitchen and food’s standards & procedures, training requirements, kitchen equipment needs etc.
- The head chef can be requested to work and cook at any of the other company lodges as needed.
- Ensure that all kitchen’s daily, weekly, monthly handovers, checklists and audits are completed in due time.
- If and when instructed: assist with any other lodge tasks non-related to the kitchen & cooking.
- Maintain and follow the company’s kitchen Health & Safety Standards, reporting and acting immediately on any relevant issues
- The head chef and his/her kitchen team to be fully conversant in the Fire & Emergency procedures of the lodge kitchen.
- Enforce within the kitchen team the lodge’s green policies and procedures to reduce waste and energy consumption.
MANAGING THE KITCHEN TEAM
- The head chef is in charge of the entire kitchen team, including the other chefs and the scullery personnel, making sure they all perform as required and follows the company’s kitchen standards and menus.
- Lead by example, share your experience/knowledge and communicate clearly.
- He/she is to look at staff requirements necessary to ensure timely delivery of services and to delegate relevant tasks to chefs on duty.
- Maintain appropriate standards of conduct, hygiene, uniforms (impeccable chef’s white jacket and hat) and appearance of all kitchen team members.
- He/she is expected to look after the kitchen staffs’ general welfare:- staff motivation, requirements and training
- With the assistance of the Lodge Manager/ Assistant Manager, he/she is expected to carry out any necessary disciplinary proceedings when required.
To apply online click here
Residents of the East African Community are encouraged to apply.
This position will remain open until filled.
*You will receive a confirmation email and an alert to take a basic screening test online. The email with the test may not arrive immediately. Please be patient. The email test will typically be 5-8 questions to help us understand your background.
If you apply and don’t meet these minimum qualifications, we will not be able to move forward with your application.
Posted in Jobs Tags: and, Apply, assistant, brand, chef, communication, company, control, cook, cooking, delivery, energy, food, food safety, general, Group, head, Head chef, information, kitchen, Knowledge, lodge, Management, manager, of, one, operations, operations manager, policies, Quality, reporting, service, services, stock, supplies, support, team, the, training, waste, work