Job Vacancy – Head of Finance, Grant & Operations( Namibia)
Duma Works is recruiting a Head of Finance, Grant & Operations in Namibia. The hiring organization is a reputable NGO in Namibia and its aim is to eliminate Malaria.
The Elimination 8 is a SADC ministerial initiative, designed as a platform for regional collaboration towards malaria elimination within the SADC region. The eight countries which make up the E8 are Angola, Botswana, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Swaziland, Zambia, and Zimbabwe. These countries are highly interconnected by population movement as well as shared malaria ecologies, making it impossible for one country to eliminate malaria without collaboration with its neighbours. The Ministers of Health of these eight countries have therefore committed to develop this platform for joint planning and accountability. Achieving elimination involves the design and meticulous execution of advanced disease and entomological surveillance systems, establishment of capacity for quality diagnosis, and control of parasite movement through the region’s porous borders. The E8 Ministerial and Technical Committees have developed a 5-year strategic plan to develop innovative, game-changing programs that will steer the region closer to its goal of zero transmission of malaria by 2030.
The Ministerial and Technical Committees of the E8 are supported by an E8 Secretariat, which coordinates diplomatic and programmatic collaboration between the eight countries. The Secretariat is also responsible for coordinating the execution of the Strategic Plan, in partnership with the funding and technical partners of the E8. The Secretariat is based in Windhoek, Namibia.
The successful candidate will have had senior management experience with a non-profit organization receiving large donor grants, and operating across multiple countries. The E8 Secretariat began operations in late 2015, and has since expanded the size of its team and operations in line with its mandate from the SADC Malaria Elimination 8 Initiative. E8 Secretariat is now seeking to support its expanded budget and operations through the recruitment of a Head for Finance, Grants and Operations. The organization is looking for a goal-oriented, seasoned, strategic, and process-minded leader with experience scaling multi-site operations and building organizational capacity in a senior management role. He/she will be an experienced professional with a track record of proven results in steering transformational results in complex environments, an innovative problem solver, with a strong work ethic, experience interfacing with a wide range of senior officials from governments and donors, and have a commitment to serving the SADC region. The Head will bring efficient and effective systems to increase the efficiency and productivity of the Secretariat team in fulfilling its mandate of fund and operations management on behalf of the E8 partnership. Flexibility and ability to operate in a complex and dynamic context are important attributes for success in this role.
The Head will form a part of the Secretariat’s senior management team, and will report to the E8 Secretariat Director. He/she will have 3-4 direct reports, including Managers for Finance, Contracts, Human Resources, and Operations.
Key Performance Areas
- Advise the Director and other key members of senior management on financial planning, budgeting, cash flow, and related policies
- Serve as the finance liaison to the Board and Oversight Committee; effectively communicate and present critical financial matters at select board of directors and committee meetings
- Monitor financial projections and planning, and support resource mobilization through budgeting and analysis for grant proposals
Finance and Grants
- Effectively coordinate roles and workplans of the department to deliver effective grant, finance, compliance, procurement and administration performance, in close support of E8 strategic goals
- Produce timely reports for the E8 Secretariat management, Board, and Oversight Committee on finance, grants, compliance, and operations
- Design and implement efficient business planning processes to maximize coordination of operations by different stakeholders, including national malaria programmes, and contractors
- Plan, coordinate, and execute the annual budget process
- With Operations team, create and oversee overall policies, practices and procedures related to all aspects of subrecipient monitoring and awards management
- Facilitate grant award management by proposing and implementing financial and administrative control systems and tools
- Lead management of grants within the Secretariat and provide guidance to monitor and supervise management of award funds and provide feedback to client and senior management on financial procedures and management
- Build team-wide systems to monitor, track and report related grants fund management
Human Resources and Secretariat Operations
- Instill a human capital development and “coaching” culture within E8; upgrade human resources functions including: training, development, compensation and benefits, employee relations, performance evaluation and recruiting
- Support oversight of Human Resources Policy, and Consultants’ Manual, and adherence across the Secretariat
- Support senior management in the implementation of performance management system
- Research and lead introduction of personnel policies to improve capacity building, and to support retention
- Oversee, direct, and organize the work of the staff under his/her direct supervision
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality
- Ensure department staff members receive timely and appropriate training and development
- Support Director in the appraisal of staff performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, set objectives
- Upgrade human resources functions including: development, compensation and benefits, employee relations, performance evaluation and recruiting
Qualifications and Requirements
- ACCA, or ACA, or CPA mandatory
- Masters in Finance, Business or Public Administration, or related field is an added advantage
- Exceptional general management experience in the development sector, including; thorough understanding of finance, systems, and HR; broad experience with the full range of business functions and systems, including strategic development and planning, budgeting, business analysis, finance, information systems, human resources, and marketing
- 8 years’ experience in management of medium to large organizations, in a developing country
- Excellent knowledge of financial rules and regulations, accounting, and experience in financial management
- Ability to operate in a fast-paced, demanding environment, and demonstrable track record of high performance
- Dynamic, with strong leadership, interpersonal, problem-solving skills
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously, set priorities and work independently
- Experience in building and managing partnerships in a complex, multicultural environment, including with ministries of health, as well as development partners
- Robust experience in the formulation of large budgets, managing both contributions and expenses, conducting financial analysis, reporting and cost-recovery
- Ability to design and implement new systems, and to use innovative approaches to build a strong and committed team and drive teamwork and high performance
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills
- Knowledge of SADC context through experience in various SADC countries is a distinct advantage
- Fluency in English with good verbal and written skills. Portuguese is an advantage
Send your Cover Letter and detailed CV to [email protected] marking the subject as “3164”, Your Full name & Phone number e.g. 3164 Barack Obama, +2547xxxxxxxx. If you don’t follow these instructions, your application will not go through.
Deadline for receiving applications: Friday, 29 December 2017
* You will receive a confirmation email and an alert to take a basic screening test over SMS or online. The email with the test may not arrive immediately. Please be patient. The email/SMS test will typically be 5-8 questions to help us understand your background. Regular SMS rates apply to the test.
If you apply and don’t meet these minimum qualifications, we will not be able to move forward with you application.
Posted in Jobs Tags: 2017, Accounting, Administration, administrative, africa, analysis, and, building, business, capacity, client, communication, compliance, control, country, CPA, cv, Design, development, director, donor, employee, employee relations, evaluation, field, Finance, financial, financial management, general, grants, head, HR, human, human capital, human resources, information, information systems, job, key, Knowledge, Leadership, learning, Liaison, line, Management, Marketing, monitoring, of, Office, one, operations, operations management, Partnerships, planning, policies, procurement, professional, programs, proposals, Quality, Recruiting, Recruitment, relations, renewable, reporting, resource, scaling, senior, South Africa, strategy, Success, support, systems, team, technical, the, training, work