Job Vacancy – Legal Clerk
Duma works is recruiting a Legal Clerk for our client: a leading business law firm in Westlands, Nairobi.
Department: Legal services
Reports to: Legal Operations Manager
Duration of Probation: 3 months
- To deliver world-class client experiences and innovatively disrupt the legal sector alongside a passionate team.
- To use industry specific data to address the needs and preferences of our clients.
- To use technology to make our services simple, convenient, and affordable.
- Manufacturing & Trade (Manufacturers, Retailers, Import & Export, Regulators & Business Associations)
- Finance (Banks, Insurance, Private Equity, Venture Capital, Pension, Regulators & Business Associations)
- Real Estate (Developers, Asset & Property Managers, Regulators & Business Associations)
Firm Practice Areas
- (Incorporation and Formation of Entity, Changes to ownership, management & operations of incorporated entities (corporations, limited liability companies, and limited partnerships, Non-Profits). o Trademarks, Patents, Copyrights, Industrial Designs, Utility Models.
- Property, Conveyancing, Leasing, Securities registration, Subdivisions & Amalgamations, Consents, Stamp Duty, Rates & Rents, Land Payments, o Immigration – Work Permits, Special Passes, Visitor Passes, Alien Cards
- other Licenses/compliance/regulations/due diligence related to client transactions.
- Supports Associates & commercial team in all transactional matters.
- Find practical commercial solutions for our client’s legal matters.
- Ensure compliance with all regulatory requirements.
- To ensure that the firm’s clients are satisfied.
- To ensure the firm is profitable by consistently completing tasks efficiently, timely and cost effectively.
- To successfully promote the firm’s brand visibility & reputation internally and externally.
- Achieve your ones Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
- Successfully deliver the Departments strategic goals & operational efficiencies.
- Legal Services
- To understand the fundamentals of our client’s work and their business goals.
- To understand the client’s industries and the stakeholders involved.
- To ensure compliance with local, county, national, and international laws that regulate the economic sector or industry to which the business belongs.
- To manage both big and small legal concerns that the client might have during regular business.
- To do everything in our power to protect our client.
- To collaborate with our clients and take a proactive – rather than reactive – approach to litigation and ensure that our clients are never caught off guard by an unexpected turn of events.
- To take immediate action/steps that need to be taken to mitigate client’s risk of liability.
- To help our clients navigate the complexities of their business disputes from beginning to end.
- To choose the correct path for legal disputes.
- To help clients make informed decisions focused on securing a cost-effective and favourable resolution.
- To quickly identify clients’ disputes strengths and any potential weaknesses when facing litigation.
- To work with the client to understand their business priorities and build a case strategy cantered on what matters most to the client.
- To develop litigation strategies and provide court precedents that support the client’s goals.
- To file and defend clients in business litigation suits.
- To identifying legal claims and counterclaims when clients are sued, and defenses clients can raise when sued.
- To talk to the people in the client’s company who were involved and look for potential witnesses who can corroborate the issue.
- To obtain evidence, including finding expert witnesses if necessary to testify on clients behalf.
- To manage the discovery process, including turning over required information, reviewing the information provided and interviewing witnesses.
- To submit all litigation paperwork, including motions and pleadings, during the pre-trial and trial phase.
- To negotiate settlements or explore possibilities for other out-of-court dispute resolution alternatives.
- To present evidence in support of client claims and make arguments court/mediation or arbitration proceedings.
- To appeal unfavourable decisions resulting from commercial cases in which legal or procedural errors occurred.
- To provide legal advice/opinions on the implications of government actions, new laws, court decisions and regulations and other stakeholder actions.
- To minimize the client’s exposure to litigation.
- To ensure that the necessary documents are filed with the appropriate governmental authorities and that the documents contain all the information and disclosures required by law.
- To understand and navigate the effects of modern technology.
- To ensure all legal documents are complete, accurate and properly stored.
- To educate our clients regarding various legalities and illegalities throughout their day-to-day business.
- To work with in-house legal departments and provide advice to the people running and working in the business.
- To act as the liaison between the client and its stakeholders.
- To tap into your networks to assist our clients.
- Legal Operations
- To prepare for cases by preparing & binding pleadings, exhibits, affidavits of service, subpoenas, evidence, court file perusals and registry reports.
- To ensure that pleadings and related documents are filed within the same day of preparation or the following day if the pleadings prepared after 2:00 pm for filing in the courts or arbitrator/mediator’s offices.
- To ensure that return of service if filed on the day following the effect of service. o To advise the Advocates on compliance with registry rules and any changes in the registry and court filing processes.
Work in Progress (WIP):
- To attend registries, boards and other government or other offices for purposes including filing, registrations, making payments, making & lodging applications, fixing dates, perusals and searches, field inquiries, extracting court orders, obtaining consents, obtaining conveyancing demands and certificates.
- To report by email to Associates & Team handling the matter the results of WIP by preparing daily, weekly & monthly status updates/dockets.
- To prepare legal drafts by assembling and organizing information for legal forms and documents, including complaints, declarations, discovery requests, responses, and other pleadings.
- To assemble case materials by collecting, organizing, and summarizing information, documents, reports, and evidence.
- To maintain records and electronic files for WIP.
- To maintain Clio by entering and updating requirements, court dates, and meetings.
- To protect law firm’s reputation by keeping client information confidential.
- To update job knowledge by participating in continuing educational opportunities; reading legal publications; maintaining personal networks – Refer to the compliance policy (accessible from the server).
- To enhance firm’s reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
- To effect service and delivery of requisite dispatch.
- To advice on efficient handling of a matter including; o documents needed for successful completion and o registration various processes and procedures at the registries;
- Where necessary updating clients and calling for documents which are in their possession.
- To arrange files in the law firm’s registry and attaching them to relevant files utilising the firm’s case management system.
- To coordinate and schedule appointments and meetings.
- To coordinate with Staff on opening the office on or before 7.00AM and closing of office every work weekday.
3.Finance & Accounting
- To discuss with clients the possible costs of the litigation including the legal fees.
- To bill and collect monthly personal billings of five times your salary.
- To ensure upfront payment of: 100% of disbursements, tax & government fees and 70% of legal fees. With 30% balance of legal fees at conclusion of the matter.
- Business Development
- Continuously innovate on how to provide great client experiences.
- Obtain at least 1 new instruction from each client monthly.
- Attend & organise conferences, trade shows and other networking events.
- People & Culture
- To put your own personal agenda aside and always consider what is the right thing for the firm.
- To behave according to the guidelines in the firm’s employer brand book.
- To build strong working relationships with colleagues and external stakeholders.
- Share information, knowhow, and best practice with colleagues.
- Develop and maintain the competencies necessary to provide a proper standard of service to clients and maintain a record of professional development.
Knowledge, skills and qualifications
- Qualified Legal Clerk
- Licensed Process Server.
- Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) OR A-Levels, IGSCE’S OR Relevant High School Diploma
- Minimum Grade B in both English & Mathematics
- Business Acumen
a) A demonstrated understanding of business and how transactions fit in within the ordinary scope and course of business in general.
b) In depth knowledge of how business entities operate & function.
c) Exposure to all elements of commercial transactions.
d) Experience as Legal Clerk.
- Experience & Expertise in key areas of law and procedure including: –
a)Minimum 4+ years Transactional Experience in a medium to large law firm or in-house department.
b)Practice Experience in Lands Registry, Kenya Industrial Property Institute (KIPI), Kenya Copyright Board (KECOBO), Immigration, Attorney General’s Office, Company’s Registry, Kenyan Courts & Tribunals and other relevant government offices.
c)Industries: Manufacturing & Trade; Banking, Pensions, Insurance, Private Equity; Real Estate.
- Meets category 4 or 5 of the firm’s statement of competence: –
a)Ethics, professionalism and judgement
- Act honestly & responsibly.
- Discreet and trustworthy.
- Hardworking and vigilant.
- Maintain Client Confidentiality.
- Maintain knowledge through learning & development.
- Work within the limits of their competence and the supervision provided.
b)Technical legal practice
- Basic legal drafting.
- Client Contact Skills
- Legal Administration Skill
- Legal Compliance
- Administrative Writing Skills
- Documentation Skills
- Attention to detail.
Working with people
- Team player
- Effective oral & written communication
- Loyal and reliable
- Energetic and fast paced
- Committed, Determined and Results Oriented
- Establish & Maintain Professional relations with clients, team & stakeholders.
c) Managing themselves & their own work
- Initiate, plan, prioritize and manage work activities and projects to ensure that they are completed efficiently, on time and to an appropriate standard, both in relation to their own work.
- Keep, use and maintain accurate, complete and clear records
- Apply good business practice.
- IT skills commensurate with the role including ability to work without secretarial assistance utilising firm’s case management system.
- Finance – Able to advice on costs for their matters.
- Marketing – Has and maintains proper networks required for performing job role
- Lives according to the CATCHIE Values
- Behaves according to the firm Values.
- To requisition for funds from the Accountant with the approval of the Associate handling the matter.
- To instruct the Legal Records Manager on information or documents required for executing their role (subject to any restrictions on sensitive documents).
- To liaise with the Associate handling the matter on implementation of legal strategy at the Registry, government offices and any other offices applicable to the functions of the role.
- To develop good relations with registry officials, government officers and other officials involved in approval or execution of legal transactions.
- To make deliveries of external communications with approval of the Associate handling the matter.
- With approval of the Associate handling the matter, may contact the client with updates on registry matters.
- To incur disbursements/expenditure in client matters outside approved budget without approval of Associate handling the matter.
- To sign documents or to send out external communications, service or filing of documents without authority of Principal Associate & Senior Associate.
- To bind the law firm.
- To accept any gratuities from clients or other parties in order to execute responsibilities or as a gift for successful execution of duties
To apply online click here
* You will receive a confirmation email from [email protected] and an alert to take a basic screening test online. The email with the test may not arrive immediately. Please be patient. The email test will typically be 5-8 questions to help us understand your background.
For any enquiries about the position, kindly reach out to us on [email protected]
Posted in Jobs Tags: accountant, Administration, advice, and, associate, banking, brand, business, clerk, client, commercial, Communications, company, compliance, delivery, development, Economic, Education, events, fast paced, field, Finance, Firm, general, government, industrial, industry, information, insurance, international, job, Kenya, key, Knowledge, law, law firm, learning, legal, Liaison, Litigation, manage, Management, manager, manufacturing, networking, o, of, off, Office, opening, opportunities, people, personal, power, private equity, professional, property, real estate, relations, reports, salary, senior, service, strategy, support, team, technology, trade, work, writing