Job Vacancy – Legal Operations Manager
Duma works is recruiting a Legal Operations Manager for our client: a leading business law firm in Westlands, Nairobi
Reports to: Managing Partner
Role type (full-time/part-time/contractor): Full time
Duration of Probation: 3 months
To build a strong legal foundation for high-impact individuals & businesses while innovating new models on how to serve our clients better within the legal landscape in Africa alongside the brightest & most dynamic legal minds.
To ensure that how we work internally, partner and deliver value to our clients is simple, efficient, convenient and cost effective.
- Create processes and practices to improve the day-to-day efficiency and effectiveness of the legal team
- Create processes and practices are simple and convenient.
- Ensure processes and practices are recorded, automated and digitized.
- To facilitate successful change management.
· Manage the business strategy and operational processes for the legal department
· Responsible for duties related to change management, technology and process decisions, and budget allocation.
Firm management and strategic planning
Design and oversee strategy for the legal department to ensure operational efficiency.
- Create processes and practices to improve the day-to-day efficiency and effectiveness of the legal team, simplify work flows (legal team & Client).
- To ensure processes and practices are automated and digitized.
- To facilitate successful change management.
- Conducts monthly & quarterly job performance reviews and assists with the development of professional development plans with team members.
- Maintain a competitive and performance driven work climate that is conducive to attracting, retaining and motivating a diverse group of top-quality employees at all levels.
Ensure the legal teams are highly efficient, services are simple, convenient & cost-effective.
- Set specific quarterly and annual goals and initiatives for the legal department.
- Implement and manage Legal team metrics, benchmarking, and reporting.
- Take charge of all change management planning and communication.
- Supervise spend management and handle budget and resource allocation accordingly.
- Develop an electronic record keeping system with all legal documents and other important documents.
- Develop, implement and enhance internal process guidelines, templates, and workflows
- Identify, implement, integrate, and optimize applications and tools, and building internal tools and automation capabilities.
- Develop and support programs that promote collaboration and knowledge sharing across the team (e.g. centralized resources, processes, memos, and other learnings).
- Develop resources and tools for the business to self-serve legal issues, and training resources for the Legal team to use with business partners.
- Build strong relationships within the Legal team, and other cross-functional stakeholders including Finance, IT, Infosec, People, and other operational teams.
Ensure effective systems and processes for the identification, control and monitoring of risks are implemented in the areas of strategic, operational and regulatory risk.
- Document, implement and update risk management systems and policies.
- Create a culture and environment for risk management to operate effectively throughout the practice.
- Ensure supervisors understand and act on their responsibility for managing risk on a day-to-day basis and promote risk awareness within their team.
- Ensure all staff are provided with education and updates and are aware of their responsibilities in the identification, control and reporting of risk at a level appropriate to their role.
- Oversee client and other third-party complaints.
- Implement an effective business continuity and disaster recovery planning programme.
Premises and facilities
Undertake strategic decision making and planning relating to any office moves, additional office sites and streamlining and oversee general day-to-day facilities matters
- Ensure the premises are in working condition and representative of the firm’s brand.
- Oversee premises issues.
- Negotiate and manage supplier contracts and rental and lease agreements.
- Manage relationships connected with the firm’s premises.
Oversee the delivery of ICT services including:
- Serve as business system owner for IT projects and making recommendations to management on the technology direction for the firm & legal department.
- Manage Legal technology initiatives such as e-billing and matter management, contracts management system, e-signature, compliance management, and other internal resources.
- Delivering efficiencies through the use of ICT e.g data analytics, artificial intelligence.
- Assess and make purchasing decisions for legal technology software and tools
- Maintenance of ICT systems
- Ensure monitoring of performance and effectiveness of ICT systems against business strategy.
- Ensure data security and cybersecurity.
- Manage data & records storage for convenient access and use.
- Review user experience, changing patterns of use and requirements.
- Conduct business needs assessment with cost-benefit analysis of options.
- Conduct risk assessment of systems, structures and functionality.
- Be aware of software and hardware products, services and applications in the market.
- Assist in project management and roll out of IT Projects.
- Monitor performance of IT service providers.
Ensure the firm delivers:
- Preparation of monthly, quarterly & yearly strategic aims and objectives
- Execution of strategies
- efficient turn-around times
- legal services are simple, convenient, accessible & cost-effective.
- increase in revenues and profit
- cost efficiencies and reductions
- managed risk and regulatory compliance
- operational excellence
- the seamless implementation of change
- simple and convenient internal working arrangements for staff.
- technological innovation in the delivery of legal services and operations.
Knowledge, skills and qualifications
- Qualified professional
- Undergraduate Bachelors of Science Degree; Business, Information Systems & Technology, Project Management, with upper second-class honours.
- Training Certificates: Business Management, Law, Project Management, ICT
- Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) OR A-Levels, IGSCE’S OR Relevant High School Diploma
- Minimum Grade B in both English & Mathematics
- Master’s degree: Business, Information Systems & Technology, Project Management.
- Experience & Expertise: –
- Eight to ten years (Minimum 8+ years) in a legal department, law firm, or relevant operational management role for a medium – large size corporate.
- An understanding of the legal industry is key.
- Preferred Industries: Law (professional services), Financial Services, Information Technology & Manufacturing
- Meets category 4 or 5 of the firm’s statement of competence: –
a)Ethics, professionalism and judgement
- Act honestly, responsibly, with high levels of integrity & can be trusted.
- Analytical – Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data; Designs work flows and procedures.
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyses information skilfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations.
- Innovation – Displays original thinking and creativity; Meets challenges with resourcefulness; Generates suggestions for improving work; Develops innovative approaches and ideas; Presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others’ attention.
- Quality Management – Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Monitors own work to ensure quality; Applies feedback to improve performance.
- Dependability – Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Judgment – Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions.
- Professionalism – Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
- Ethical – Demonstrates a high standard of personal and business behaviour that serves the interest of the Firm in a lawful and professional manner.
- Tech-savvy and well-versed in legal enterprise software, tools, and applications, proficient in legal spend and matter management tools such as Simple Legal.
- Demonstrated ability to use change management practices to facilitate transitions related to technology, processes, and people
- Financial management, planning, analysis and reporting capabilities including pricing, budgeting and cash flow management.
- Proven experience in driving growth in business profits.
- Strong human capital management.
- Strong Client Service.
c)Oral & Written Communication
- Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations.
- Listens and gets clarification.
- Writes clearly and informatively.
- Edits work for spelling and grammar.
- Presents numerical data effectively.
- Able to read and interpret written information.
d)Working with people
- Leadership – Exhibits confidence in self and others; Inspires and motivates others to perform well; Effectively influences actions and opinions of others; Inspires respect and trust; Accepts feedback from others; Provides vision and inspiration to peers and subordinates; Gives appropriate recognition to others; Displays passion and optimism; Mobilizes others to fulfil the vision.
- Interpersonal – Focuses on achieving results, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others’ ideas and tries new things.
- Team -Work – Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone’s efforts to succeed; Recognises accomplishments of other team members.
- Change Management – Develops workable implementation plans; Communicates changes effectively; Builds commitment and overcomes resistance; Prepares and supports those affected by change; Monitors transition and evaluates results.
- Delegation – Delegates work assignments; Matches the responsibility to the person; Gives authority to work independently; Sets expectations and monitors delegated activities; Provides recognition for results.
- Managing People – Includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement; Takes responsibility for subordinates’ activities; Makes self, available to staff; Provides regular performance feedback; Develops subordinates’ skills and encourages growth; Solicits and applies client feedback (internal and external); Fosters quality focus in others; Improves processes, products and services; Continually works to improve supervisory skills.
e) Managing themselves & their own work
- Project Management – Develops project plans; Coordinates projects; Communicates changes and progress; Completes projects on time and budget; Manages project team activities.
- Deadline driven – Displays the ability to work with and meet tight deadline; Displays the ability to work well under pressure.
- Motivation – Sets and achieves challenging goals; Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; Measures self against standard of excellence; Takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
- Keep, use and maintain accurate, complete and clear records.
- IT skills commensurate with the role including ability to work without secretarial assistance utilising firm’s case management system.
- Lives according to the Firms Values:
- Positive & Enthusiastic attitude
- Passion for one’s work
- Excellence: you deliver a great client experience
- Deliver reliably
- Sharing creative & innovative ideas
- Works well with others
- Key Strengths:
- Strategic leadership: Find alternative ways of achieving vision.
- Analytical: Search for reasons and causes. Think about all the factors that might affect a situation.
- Arranger: Organised, Adaptable and likes to determine how all of the pieces and resources can be arranged for maximum productivity.
- Restorative: Adept at dealing with problems, figuring out what is wrong and resolving it.
- Futuristic: Inspired by what the future could be and energies others with their visions.
- Ideator: Fascinated by ideas and is able to find connections between seemingly disparate phenomena
- To fully execute Legal Operations Strategies as agreed with Management.
- To expend finances on the Legal Operations Strategies strategy as approved in the budget.
- To fully exercise authority on matters touching on approved Legal Operations Strategies strategy.
- To perform Legal Operations work outside the approved Strategy, Policies, Procedures & Processes.
- To Hire & Terminate staff without approval of the Managing Partner.
- To incur expenses outside approved budgets.
- To bind the Firm.
- To accept new instructions from clients unless approved by the Managing Partner.
- To provide undertakings on behalf of the firm. The Managing Partner is responsible for providing undertakings.
To apply online click here
* You will receive a confirmation email from [email protected] and an alert to take a basic screening test online. The email with the test may not arrive immediately. Please be patient. The email test will typically be 5-8 questions to help us understand your background.
For any enquiries about the position, kindly reach out to us on [email protected]
Posted in Jobs Tags: analysis, and, brand, building, business, business management, business strategy, client, client service, communication, compliance, control, corporate, Data, delivery, development, driving, Education, enterprise, environment, Finance, financial, Firm, general, Group, growth, hardware, hire, human, human capital, ICT, industry, information, information systems, innovation, intelligence, IT, job, key, Knowledge, law, law firm, legal, level, manage, Management, manufacturing, market, monitoring, of, Office, operations, partner, people, person, personal, planning, policies, professional, programs, project, project management, Quality, reporting, representative, resource, risk management, science, security, service, services, software, solutions, strategy, Success, support, systems, team, technology, the, training, user experience, work, works