Job Vacancy – Logistics Officer
Duma Works is recruiting a Logistics Officer. The hiring firm is an agricultural supply chain platform in East Africa that provides supply chain services to clients who want to improve their agriculture supply chain services.
We are an agricultural supply chain platform operating in East Africa that provides supply chain services to clients that want to improve their agriculture supply chain services and in turn deliver essential farming inputs and other value adding products to clients and consumers in rural Africa.
Purpose of Assignment
Under the direct supervision of the Inventory Manager, the Logistic Officer is responsible for defining transportation interventions to meet business needs, setting up and manage all the logistic operations in all of our areas of implementation.
This is a critical position to us. It requires diligence, dedication, and a capacity to handle numerous duties within a changing environment.
- Manage, supervise, monitor and record the movement of stock and coordinate deliveries with particular attention to cost control, quality and timely delivery
- Plan routes, products, and process shipments and shipments documentation
- Direct, optimize and coordinate full logistic cycle
- Handle technical details relating to transportation, such as transportation regulations and any necessary documentation.
- Liaise, build relationships and negotiate with logistic contractors. Manage relationships with third party logistics partners.
- Work closely with the Inventory Manager to ensure appropriate procedure and systems are in place to ensure efficiency of the operations, including risk management procedures, executing/enforcing protection measure for goods in transportation and goods in transit mitigations systems
- Assist in analyzing operating procedures, and prioritizing any logistic procedures. Keep track of logistics, pick up and delivery times, transport costs and efficiency. Analyze transportation spend, support on deciding on strategies to minimize administrative work
- Efficiently evaluate the costs of transportation, services and delivery schedules within a budget or distribution strategy. Maintain metrics and analyze data to assess performance and implement improvements
- Work towards optimizing lead times, working closely with operations director to identify inefficiencies in logistic and distribution
- Meet cost, productivity, accuracy and timeliness targets
- Strategically plan and manage warehouse loading and offloading activities. Ensure subordinates are performing to expectations (loading/offloading personnel and drivers)
- Effectively troubleshoot any issues that may arise in national freight transportation. Resolve any arising problems or complaints
- Comply with laws, regulations and ISO requirements
- Liaise with the Operations Division and other offices including regional business development managers, to implement new initiatives and align with business practices
- Coordinate staff travel and use of company vehicles
- Conduct field visits to Depots, warehouses or project sites to monitor supplies and purpose actions to improve logistic arrangements
- Prepare fleet reports, as well as a logistics reports
- Check in weekly with Inventory Manager, providing weekly updates (weekly work plan) on all logistical activities
- Maintain familiarity with relevant logistics compliance issues as required by the policies of our investors, and legal statutes in order to ensure compliance
- Meet Logistics KPIs/targets including quality of customer experience.
- Promote up to date transportation management thinking and practices
- Execution/implementation of company delivery note systems, sourcing reports and enforcing weekly checks at regional distribution centers
- Ensure maximum availability for future implementation of controls and monitoring mechanisms for all logistics assets such as vehicles, generators, computers and all other technical items using either petrol, diesel or kerosene to maximize efficiency and ensure regular maintenance
- Participate in business planning and review meetings to advice on logistics matters
- Provide technical and advisory support to our departments and partners on logistic management issues, identify and focus on best services which can be provided by the supply section to partners
- Ensure reporting to senior management, operation manager and external partners
- Other tasks as required.
Knowledge and Skill Requirement
- Proven working experience as a logistics officer
- Record of successful distribution and logistics management
- Knowledge of national and international import/export legislation
- Demonstrable ability to lead and manage staff
- Proficient in standard logistics software
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and organisational skills
- Ability to work independently and handle multiple projects
- Ability to work strategically to realize organizational goals, develop strategies, set clear visions
- Ability to persuade and influence, negotiate to obtain agreement, promote ideas
- Ability to network and establish good relations with stakeholders
- Fast learner, adapts and respond to change, tolerate ambiguity
- Ability/Experience with using ERPs
- Strong overall knowledge and understanding of logistic principles, financial and legal aspects of transportation issues, ethics and risk management of supply chain operations.
- University degree from recognized academic institution in one or more of the following areas are preferred: Transportation management, Business administration, Economics, Engineering, or areas directly related to logistic operations. First University degree combined with demonstrated professional work experience and understanding of relevant functions may be considered in lieu of advanced university degree, preferably combined with credited courses or certifications from relevant professional bodies in supply chain management, contracting or logistic
- Minimum 3 years of progressively responsible professional work experience at the national and international levels in supply/logistic management
- Ability to work in multi-cultural environment
- Ability to lead large teams
- Above par communication and presentation skills
- Ability to work in high-pressure context
- Solution oriented thinking
- 3-5 years working experience
- Valid Driving License
- Languages:Fluent in English and Kiswahili
Working conditions are normal for an office and field environment. Work may require occasional weekend and/or evening work
Send your Cover Letter and detailed CV to [email protected] marking the subject as “2992”, Your Full name & Phone number e.g. 2992 Barack Obama, +2547xxxxxxxx. If you don’t follow these instructions, your application will not go through.
Deadline for receiving applications: Friday, 25 August 2017
* You will receive a confirmation email and an alert to take a basic screening test over SMS or online. The email with the test may not arrive immediately. Please be patient. The email/SMS test will typically be 5-8 questions to help us understand your background. Regular SMS rates apply to the test.
If you apply and don’t meet these minimum qualifications, we won’t be able to forward your application to the employer.
Posted in Jobs Tags: Administration, administrative, advice, africa, agricultural, agriculture, analytical, and, availability, business, business administration, business development, capacity, chain, communication, company, compliance, control, cost, cost control, customer, Data, delivery, development, director, driving, East Africa, economics, engineering, export, farming, field, financial, freight, import, international, inventory, inventory manager, IT, Knowledge, legal, logistics, maintenance, manage, Management, manager, monitoring, network, of, Office, officer, one, operations, planning, professional, project, Quality, relations, reporting, risk management, rural, senior, services, software, stock, strategy, supplies, supply, supply chain, support, systems, technical, transport, transportation, travel, warehouse, warehouse manager, work