Job Vacancy – Partnerships Manager
Generation Programme Kenya (GPK) is recruiting a Partnerships Manager to join their team in Nairobi.
The primary responsibility of this role is to support in county engagements. Which includes scheduling Generation’s participation in County planning and budgeting meetings, convening relevant high-level stakeholder meetings, and scheduling progress review meetings with senior county officials. This role will also be instrumental in exploring and identifying partnership opportunities with national and county governments.
The secondary responsibility of this role is to support in active grant management. This includes but is not limited to: timely high-quality report writing aligned with donor requirements and ensuring key grant management systems, processes and policies are in place / updated
Location: Nairobi, Kenya with frequent travel to counties.
Reporting To: Head of Partnerships.
Type of Position: Function Lead.
Contract Term: Two Year Renewable.
Introduction to Generation
Generation is one of the world’s largest, fastest scaling global demand-driven youth employment programs, providing young adults with the opportunity to launch successful careers and change their life trajectories. We recruit, train and place diverse adults of all ages —whether unemployed or underemployed —into careers that would otherwise be beyond their reach.
We started with a focus on youth, who are keen to launch their careers from non-traditional pathways (e.g. youth with no higher educational qualifications and require support to mitigate challenges due to socioeconomic backgrounds, individuals seeking to enter professions where their profile is traditionally underrepresented), and have now expanded to mid-career workers seeking jobs in demand (e.g. workers who have been displaced potentially due to automation or economic downturn, rejoining caretakers who have been out of the workforce for a significant amount of time).
Our goal, is to deliver for job seekers and employers simultaneously: supporting the individual’s personal and financial well-being, while helping businesses acquire entry-level hires who have higher productivity, are of higher quality, are retained longer, and are faster to promotion than peers.
To date, Generation is active in 14 countries: USA, Kenya, Brazil, Spain, Mexico, India, Singapore, Australia, Hong Kong, UK, France, Italy, Ireland and Pakistan with plans of expanding to a few more countries.
Since launching in May 2015, Generation Kenya has trained over 18,000 candidates across 6 different industries. 83% of whom have been placed in meaningful employment with our over 250+ employer partners. We currently train for entry-level roles in 5 programs namely, financial services sales, retail and restaurants, distributed sales, food and beverage and sewing machine operators in apparel manufacturing.
Driven by our vision, “a meaningful career and sustained well-being for every person anywhere in the world” and mission “we transform education to employment systems to prepare, place and support people into life changing careers that would otherwise be inaccessible”, we aim to address the skills gap that hinders growth in the formal sector in Kenya.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Provide input into partnership strategy development and implementation to reach impact goals in line with funding needs.
- Lead working relationships with key stakeholders at multiple levels in public sector and cultivate sustainable strategic partnerships with national and county governments.
- Deepen relationship with assigned portfolio of partnerships, donors and foundations and ensure accurate analysis of strategic changes and report on key metrics.
- Deliver technical support for funding strategy including and not limited to, grant applications, existing grants management, and ensure program deliverables against scope and targets agreed with partners.
- Contribute to ensuring that systems, processes and workflows for grant management and compliance are in place – including developing and updating as required.
- Provide information on partnerships / grants to all concerned, and ensure all relevant documentation is completed, up to date and appropriately stored.
- Co-ordinate with Head of Partnerships, to ensure submission of reports and advise on amendments for approval with agreed timelines.
- Be a committed and valued member of the Generation Kenya partnerships team, and play a vital role in creating a culture that attracts and supports exceptional talent
Key Working Relationships
- Public Sector Relationships – advice and support functional head in maintaining strategic partnerships with public sector officials and to advocate for Education-to-Employment and promote support for Generation Kenya work.
- Donor Relationships – collaborate with donors while maintaining strategic partnerships and advocate for Education-to-Employment promoting support for Generation Kenya work.
- Kenya & Global Partnership Team – support and advice the Head of Partnerships on global and local partnerships and grant and funding strategy development and management.
- Generation Kenya Program Team – in liaison with Head of Partnerships, regularly engage, advice and support internal teams in Generation Kenya as partnerships advisor, on best practice in partnership / grant management to ensure delivery of high quality and timely funder reporting.
Knowledge, Qualifications And Experience
- An undergraduate degree. A post graduate degree in social sciences, business or a relevant field will be an added advantage.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience working / engaging with national / county governments.
- Proven track record engaging and influencing high-profile networks. Donor, national and county government partnerships are preferred.
- Embody values and understand the future challenges and opportunities for youth empowerment and is passionate about creating an impact in Kenya’s employment ecosystem.
- Experience in youth development is desirable.
Skills And Abilities
- Excellent oral/presentation skills
- Excellent written skills in English, especially report writing.
- Strong teamwork orientation, with an ability to lead and work effectively with a range of partners and colleagues.
- Strong interpersonal and ability to communicate to people of all walks of life.
- Strategic and innovative with ability to sell the vision of Generation.
- Ability to explain complex ideas in easily accessible way tailored to different audiences.
- Be adaptable/flexible in order to respond to a fast-changing environment.
- Strong planning skills.
- Self-starter with confidence and ability to drive things with minimal oversight.
- Strong leadership skills, executive disposition, and commitment to working as a team – ability to take a cooperative and problem-solving approach.
- Ability to develop and maintain positive relationship with a wide range of stakeholder, including civil society organizations, national and county governments bodies and officials and international funders.
- Commitment to respect and value equality and diversity and understanding of how this applies to own area of work.
- Commitment to own continuing personal and professional development.
- Demonstrate high levels of integrity and aligned with Generation vision, mission, and values.
• Ability to travel frequently within Kenya, and potential occasional travel in the region and internationally.
INTERESTED candidates please submit your applications to [email protected] attaching your resume and a motivational statement (maximum 1000 words) explaining why you are a suitable fit for the position. Your applications must be received by Thursday 18th February 2021 indicating in the subject: Partnerships Manager.
Equality and diversity: Generation is committed both to promoting equality and diversity within the organization and to equal opportunities in employment. We believe in equality of opportunity regardless of race or racial group (including colour, nationality, ethnicity, national origins), religion or belief, age, disability, sexual orientation, sex, gender re-assignment and gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, and pregnancy, maternity and paternity. This also includes any incidents of perceptive or associative discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are made entirely on merit. Generation does not ask for payment from people that apply for jobs with Generation at any stage of the hiring process. If you have any specific queries, please feel free to contact us at [email protected]
To report instances of fraud or unethical business practices by any of our staff, vendors or mobilisers please reach out on this link for our Ethics hotline and / or the executive leadership team on [email protected]
Posted in Jobs Tags: advice, advisor, advocate, analysis, and, apparel, Apply, area, beverage, business, career, careers, civil, compliance, delivery, development, donor, Economic, Education, Employment, Empowerment, environment, executive, field, financial, food, GAP, government, graduate, grants, Group, growth, head, Hiring, identity, impact, information, international, job, Jobs, Kenya, key, Knowledge, Leadership, Liaison, line, Management, manager, manufacturing, nairobi, of, one, opportunities, Opportunity, Partnerships, people, person, personal, planning, policies, professional, program, programs, Promotion, Quality, Recruit, Relationship, renewable, report writing, reporting, reports, retail, sales, scaling, senior, services, social, social sciences, strategy, support, systems, talent, team, technical, the, travel, two, work, writing, Youth