Job Vacancy – People Manager
Duma Works is recruiting a People Manager for our client; a leading provider of varied solutions that make the retail supply and distribution chains in Africa more efficient.
Reports to: CEO
Weekly work hours: 45hrs
Industry: Retail, Big data & Fintech
Company Type: Private
Position Type: Full-time
Job Grade: Grade 3
The Opportunity: People Manager
Our client is looking to recruit a smart, creative and highly talented individual to join the team to form the company’s first People Department and take on the role of People Manager. This is a huge and exciting opportunity to join a young and energetic team at a time when the organization is just about to scale to achieve great things and make a lasting impact in the industries they operate in.
As a People Manager, your role will encompass all things relating to the recruitment, support, and training of the family. We believe people give their best work when they are happy and motivated, so your key goal is to make the company a place where everyone can prosper.
Roles & Responsibilities
These will be your key day-to-day responsibilities:
- Act as a day-to-day employee contact for all HR and employee-related matters.
- Oversee the onboarding of all new hires by taking them through an orientation process and ensure that they are settled in and get up to speed as soon as possible.
- Assess the business’s staffing needs and advise the management team on how many new hires the business needs to make to enable the Company to achieve both its short-term and long-term goals.
- Supervise new employees during the probation period on a day-to-day basis to determine if they are a good fit for the role and how well they function in their job.
- Create and manage employee feedback channels to build a culture where employees understand that their feedback is important and is always welcome and encouraged.
- Process requests for any form of work leave, including vacation and personal day requests.
- Manage employee relations by listening to problems employees have with their coworkers and managers and file these complaints as needed with upper-level management.
- Make recommendations to management on what to do with employees who fail to meet the minimum Company standards in any area on a consistent basis.
- Regularly evaluate employees to determine how well they are fulfilling their job and whether or not they are meeting Company standards for professionalism, attendance, and work performance.
- Identify skill gaps within the team and recommend areas for training.
- Ensure that the business is compliant with any ethical principles, laws, and regulations when dealing with any employee-related issues.
- Work with management to create a happy and prosperous working environment for all employees.
- Work with employees to create a personal development plan for them that will enable them to grow professionally and give them more skills to better perform their tasks.
Compensation & Benefits
- We offer competitive pay that is commensurate with your market experience for the role.
- We provide health insurance.
- We have a great working environment with a young and energetic team.
- We have a culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people.
The ideal candidate for this position is a good communicator, a strong motivator and a good strategic thinker with the ability to translate ideas into solutions. Additionally, you need to have the following skill sets:
- A bachelor’s degree preferably in human resource management, psychology, business administration or any other equivalent field.
- At least 5 years of experience in human resources with direct exposure to employee relations, recruiting and building teams.
- Language skills:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Impeccable English grammar and editing skills with the ability to translate complicated messaging into clear writing.
- Ability to make effective presentations on any topic whether controversial or complex to your co-workers, management team, the board of directors and any external parties.
- Solid knowledge of employment laws and regulations of Kenya.
- Proven time management skills and the ability to multi-task and perform in a fast-paced environment.
- High level of interpersonal, diplomacy and confidentiality skills.
The following qualities are considered to be a must-have for all the employees
- Entrepreneurial Spirit
- Have a “get things done” spirit.
- Be productive and results-oriented both as an individual and when collaborating with others in a team.
- Be self-driven and highly ambitious.
- Have a positive and collaborative attitude.
- Be passionate about making a big impact on the work that you do.
- Be passionate about driving change and solving some of the industry’s biggest challenges.
To apply online click here or send your Cover Letter and detailed CV to app[email protected]s.dumaworks.com marking the subject as “3684”, Your Full name & Phone number e.g. 3684 Barack Obama, +2547xxxxxxxx. If you don’t follow these instructions, your application will not go through.
Deadline for receiving applications: 1st July 2020
* You will receive a confirmation email and an alert to take a basic screening test over SMS or online. The email with the test may not arrive immediately. Please be patient. The email/SMS test will typically be 5-8 questions to help us understand your background. Regular SMS rates apply to the test.
If you apply and don’t meet these minimum qualifications, we will not be able to move forward with you application.
Posted in Jobs Tags: Administration, africa, building, business, business administration, client, communication, company, development, distribution, driving, employee, employee relations, Employment, field, HR, human, human capital, Human Resource, human resource assistant, human resource associate, human resource management, human resources, impact, insurance, job, Kenya, key, Knowledge, learning, level, manage, Management, manager, market, Opportunity, people, people management, People Operations Lead, personal, Recruit, Recruiting, Recruitment, relations, resource, retail, solutions, supply, support, team, training, work, works, writing