Job Vacancy – Product Owner
We are recruiting a Product Owner for our client in Nairobi. Our client is a leading distributor of a wide range of products including solar lanterns, solar home systems, fuel efficient cook stoves, water tanks, smart phones, etc.
Location: Nairobi, Kenya with regular travel to various regional offices.
Reporting to: Head of Management Information Systems (MIS)
We are seeking an experienced, resourceful product owner to join our client’s growing team. In this position, you will be responsible for looking after our suite off apps (created using AppSheet). The job includes defining and configuring new AppSheet Apps as well as enhancing, maintaining and supporting existing Apps. The product owner should have a solid grasp of app-building software such as AppSheet and have a solid grasp of business process design (functional workflows); databases; data analytics; project management and agile methodologies in order to play a key role in increasing company productivity and profitability.
Product Owner Duties and Responsibilities
A. Facilitating & Documenting User Stories – 20% time allocation
- Document user stories (existing & new business requirements, rules & processes) – to be used for building new apps, training & operating manuals. Including:
- a. Facilitating discussions with relevant parties on business process improvements & advising on possible solutions – including latent opportunities that the user has not yet imagined.
- Work with users, management & external consultants to design optimal workflows, data structures and Apps.
- Clearly document Product Backlog items to be developed.
B. Managing the Product Backlog – 20% time allocation
Work effectively with a diverse team of people to smoothly introduce changes.
- Prioritise the product backlog to best achieve company goals and missions. Including but not limited to:
- Facilitate discussions with users and management to prioritise
- Coordinate team activities & manage timelines.
- Effective stakeholder engagement to keep work on track. Communicating timeously on progress and to flag any material issues.
- Ensuring that the full team understands items in the Product Backlog to the level needed and that the Product Backlog is visible, transparent, and clear to all.
C. Enhancing & Building Apps in AppSheet – 30% time allocation
- Building new Apps and enhancing existing apps within the AppSheet environment.
- Working with management and/or external consultants on any database changes and system integrations, where needed.
- Oversee any data migrations as part of
- Test app enhancements, new apps and integrations to ensure they are fit for purpose.
D. System Support, Testing & Training – 20% time allocation
- Provide support & training on the tools, technologies and systems used by the company.
E. Data Analysis & Business Information Delivery – 10% time allocation
Support the MIS Analyst and Head of MIS in providing management insights. Including but not limited to:
5. Monitor data accuracy and initiate corrections with relevant business owners, as needed.
6. Write SQL queries to extract needed information.
7. Design & build management information dashboards and/or reports from time to time, using tools such as Google Data Studio, Google Sheets, MSExcel.
8. Document existing & new information outputs. Create ‘how-to’ guides – explaining how they work and the methods for generating (refreshing) them.
Product Owner Requirements and Qualifications
• Two years’ experience as a product owner, business analyst, or related role – essential.
• Bachelor’s degree in computer science or relevant field preferred.
• In-depth understanding of Agile methodologies, technical understanding of products, and up-to-date on industry standards and best practices.
• Certification for Product Ownership or general Agile methodology preferred but not required.
• Excellent computer literacy.
• Highly skilled in Google Apps (Google Sheets, Docs, Data Studio, etc.).
• Highly skilled in Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.).
• Working knowledge of programming.
• Working knowledge of MySQL (ability to write basic SQL statements & clauses).
• Excellent data wrangler (able to quickly clean & organize a data set)
• Highly organized with some experience coordinating and/or managing projects preferred.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Fluent in English.
• Fluent in Swahili not essential, but an advantage.
• Accurate and precise attention to detail.
• Comfortable working with multiple and diverse teams – in-house and remote; internal and external – and able to build strong interpersonal relationships.
Send your Cover Letter and detailed CV to [email protected] marking the subject as “3263”, Your Full name & Phone number e.g. 3263 Barack Obama, +2547xxxxxxxx. If you don’t follow these instructions, your application will not go through.
Deadline for receiving applications: Friday, 23 March 2018
* You will receive a confirmation email and an alert to take a basic screening test over SMS or online. The email with the test may not arrive immediately. Please be patient. The email/SMS test will typically be 5-8 questions to help us understand your background. Regular SMS rates apply to the test.
If you apply and don’t meet these minimum qualifications, we will not be able to move forward with you application.
Posted in Jobs Tags: analysis, analyst, and, Best Practices, building, business, client, communication, company, computer science, cook, Data, delivery, Design, field, general, head, industry, information, information systems, job, Kenya, key, Knowledge, level, manage, Management, MySQL, nairobi, of, off, Office, opportunities, people, product, project, project management, Recruiting, science, software, solar, solutions, SQL, support, systems, team, technical, the, training, travel, work