Job Vacancy – Program Associate
Duma Works is recruiting a Program Associate for Mawazo Institute. Mawazo is a non-profit research institute based in Nairobi.
About Our Organisation
The Mawazo Institute is a non-profit research institute based in Nairobi, Kenya. In Kiswahili, “mawazo” means “ideas.” Founded in the US in late 2016, Mawazo was registered and launched operations in Kenya in 2017. We support the next generation of female
thought leaders and scholars in Africa, and get policymakers and the public engaged with their work. We run programmes which build women’s capacity to do high quality research, and provide a platform for them to communicate it to the public. The PhD Scholars programme provides research funding, training, and mentorship to women who are pursuing postgraduate study in a wide range of
disciplines at Kenyan universities. The Research Fellows programme offers research grants to women who are early career researchers in Kenya. The Public Engagement programme creates accessible and interesting ways for policymakers and the public to learn about research
produced by our Scholars, Fellows, and other local experts. For more information visit: www.mawazoinstitute.org
We are currently seeking a Programme Associate to support our core operations. The Programme Associate will support the Programme Manager and Senior Management in handling Mawazo’s day-to-day operations. As Mawazo is a young organisation, the Programme Associate will also have a unique opportunity to directly influence our organisational growth. The position offers the chance to build a diverse array of skills in a dynamic environment focused on women’s empowerment.
The Programme Associate’s responsibilities fall into three main areas. These tasks listed are representative, and other duties may also be assigned.
- Support the Programme Manager in planning yearly activities and keep the programme calendar updated
- Assist the Programme Manager in the recruitment and onboarding process of candidates for the PhD Scholars and Research Fellows programmes
- Provide year-round support for all aspects of the administration of the PhD Scholars and Research Fellows programmes
- Work with the Programme Manager to prepare information packages for Mawazo programmes and send material to programme participants and external audiences in a timely manner
- Assist the Programme Manager in managing a database of grants for African academics, which we are building as a resource for the Pre-PhD, PhD Scholars, Early Career/Post Doctorate Fellows and interested members of the public
- Support the Programme Manager in identifying and managing a database of grants, potential funders and fundraising opportunities for Mawazo
- Manage and maintain Scholars, funders and partners records
- Assist the Programme Manager in event planning for the Public Engagement programmes, including public lectures and debates with the Mawazo Scholars and Fellows, and small group roundtables with key decisionmakers in government and industry
- Work with the Programme Manager and COO to identify organizations to partner with for capacity building and training opportunities
- Work with Senior Management to build relationships with universities
- Support the Programme Manager in monitoring and evaluating the progress of Mawazo’s programmes by writing and managing progress reports
- Work with the Programme Manager to coordinate work activities, meet deadlines, and provide support where needed
Operational and Administrative Support
- Manage Senior Management’s calendars, organize regular team meetings and conference calls/video-conferences, including the preparation and distribution of documents and providing the necessary technical devices
- Take minutes of regular team meetings and other meetings Senior Management are involved in
- Acts as the main contact person during the absence of team members
- Acknowledge receipt of correspondence and documentation in the absence of the Programme Manager or Senior Management, and draft preliminary versions of correspondence to be signed by the Programme Manager or Senior Management
- Assist other team members in preparing and formatting documents, including PowerPoint presentations
- Coordinate the translation, proofreading and editing of documents as required
- Write blog posts and provide communications support including social media
- Support Programme Manager and Senior Management in data collection and research for white papers that team is working on
- Support the research projects carried out by the Mawazo Scholars and Fellows on an as needed basis, with the possibility to get more involved or co-author depending on interest
Education and Skills Required
- A bachelor’s degree in a social science or STEM field is required
- At least two years of experience working in a substantively similar professional environment, such as a non-profit, consultancy, or think tank, including direct experience in operations and project management roles
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English, with Kiswahili or other local language proficiency preferred
- Attention to detail and strong organisational, analytical, and critical thinking skills
- Curious individual with ability to work both independently and collaboratively, and to seek assistance with projects as required
- An interest in continual learning and professional growth
- Commitment to the Mawazo Institute’s mission and values
- Eligible to work in Kenya
To apply online click here or send your Cover Letter and detailed CV to [email protected] marking the subject as “3367”, Your Full name & Phone number e.g. 3367 Barack Obama, +2547xxxxxxxx. If you don’t follow these instructions, your application will not go through.
Deadline for receiving applications: Thursday, 31 May 2018
* You will receive a confirmation email and an alert to take a basic screening test over SMS or online. The email with the test may not arrive immediately. Please be patient. The email/SMS test will typically be 5-8 questions to help us understand your background. Regular SMS rates apply to the test.
If you apply and don’t meet these minimum qualifications, we will not be able to move forward with you application.
Posted in Jobs Tags: 2017, Administration, administrative, africa, analytical, and, associate, building, capacity, capacity building, career, collection, communication, Communications, consultancy, Data, early, Empowerment, event, event planning, field, Fundraising, government, grants, Group, growth, industry, information, Kenya, key, learning, Management, manager, media, mentorship, monitoring, nairobi, of, operations, opportunities, Opportunity, partner, person, planning, professional, programme manager, project, project management, Quality, Recruitment, representative, research, resource, science, senior, social, Social Media, support, team, technical, the, think tank, training, two, work, writing