Job Vacancy – Program Operations Manager
Generation Programme Kenya (GPK) is recruiting a Program Operations Manager to join their team in Nairobi.
The primary responsibility of this role is managing and supervising education to employment projects. You will ensure that; project objectives / implementation is on track, Budget as planned, implementation & documentation is according to donors, partners & other stakeholders compliance requirements, and assist in program development
Location: Nairobi, Kenya with frequent travel to counties.
Reporting To: Chief Operations Officer.
Type of Position: Function Lead.
Contract Term: Two Year Renewable.
Introduction to Generation
Generation is one of the world’s largest, fastest scaling global demand-driven youth employment programs, providing young adults with the opportunity to launch successful careers and change their life trajectories. We recruit, train and place diverse adults of all ages —whether unemployed or underemployed —into careers that would otherwise be beyond their reach.
We started with a focus on youth, who are keen to launch their careers from non-traditional pathways (e.g. youth with no higher educational qualifications and require support to mitigate challenges due to socioeconomic backgrounds, individuals seeking to enter professions where their profile is traditionally underrepresented), and have now expanded to mid-career workers seeking jobs in demand (e.g. workers who have been displaced potentially due to automation or economic downturn, rejoining caretakers who have been out of the workforce for a significant amount of time).
Our goal, is to deliver for job seekers and employers simultaneously: supporting the individual’s personal and financial well-being, while helping businesses acquire entry-level hires who have higher productivity, are of higher quality, are retained longer, and are faster to promotion than peers.
To date, Generation is active in 14 countries: USA, Kenya, Brazil, Spain, Mexico, India, Singapore, Australia, Hong Kong, UK, France, Italy, Ireland and Pakistan with plans of expanding to a few more countries.
Since launching in May 2015, Generation Kenya has trained over 18,000 candidates across 6 different industries. 83% of whom have been placed in meaningful employment with our over 250+ employer partners. We currently train for entry-level roles in 5 programs namely, financial services sales, retail and restaurants, distributed sales, food and beverage and sewing machine operators in apparel manufacturing.
Driven by our vision, “a meaningful career and sustained well-being for every person anywhere in the world” and mission “we transform education to employment systems to prepare, place and support people into life changing careers that would otherwise be inaccessible”, we aim to address the skills gap that hinders growth in the formal sector in Kenya.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- In collaboration with Human Resource function, ensure optimal staffing across all programs.
- Oversee performance management and staff development across direct reports.
- Ensure proper communication flows through the operations structure.
- Foster a culture that embodies Generation Kenya values of transparency, integrity, solving big problems, helping others, collaboration, teamwork etc
- Will be instrumental in ensuring that individual and team KPIs are met and maintained across all our programmes.
- Training/management of center staff – ensuring staff (coaches, teaching assistants) are prepared before program begins, assisting them in solving problems, organizing weekly staff meetings.
- In collaboration with the Training & Quality Manager, ensuring that staff adhere to all Generation Programme Kenya delivery standards.
- Ensure proactive communication and coaching of staff on new and existing company polices.
- Give feedback throughout and hold performance evaluations of direct reports on a regular basis.
- Conduct daily check ins and check outs to help regional leads with their operational responsibilities, solve immediate issues on the ground and prioritize where needed.
Program Management Responsibilities
- Preparation of training centers by ensuring the readiness of all classroom materials (e.g. computers, chairs, boards), utilities (e.g. electricity, internet, toilets), signage etc. before the start of each program. This also includes identifying new training centers as we scale-up.
- Planning and execution of mobilization from advertisements (print and social media), to information sessions and literacy/numeracy exams, conducting student interviews, and registering students.
- Co-ordinating logistics of day-to-day running of program: coordinate, prepare, and distribute program schedule and materials to instructors, mentors and learners.
- Scheduling and managing employer presentations for candidates, organizing employer interview days, and coordinating with employers once job placements made. This also includes re-placing students with new employers in exceptional circumstances e.g. employer restructuring or lay-offs.
- Ensure the maintenance of a database with student information and program records.
- Ensuring timely operational reporting including and not limited to attendance marking, commitment fees collection.
Process Improvement Roles
- Solving for consistent programme and process improvement.
- Overseeing student’s transition to full time employment with local employment partners.
- Lead weekly operational meetings & identify areas of risk and take steps to reduce vulnerabilities.
- Training/management of centre staff – ensuring staff (coaches, teaching assistants) are prepared before programme begins, assisting them in solving problems, organising weekly staff meetings.
- Develop 12-month timeline and budget for overall Generation programme implementation and ensure all targets and timelines for operational scale up are met.
- Continuously look for opportunities where process efficiency gains can be made and implement solutions, after agreed upon with Generation team, including automation / technology solutions.
- As programme expands, additional responsibilities that become apparent.
Delivery Partner Management
- Identifying and management of new and existing Delivery Partners.
- Documentation of Delivery Partner standards of operation and holding Delivery Partners accountable to these standards.
- Setting and reviewing Delivery Partner operational targets/SLA.
- Ensuring Delivery Partners adhere to Generation methodology, practices and standards in their operations.
- Monthly/quarterly review of delivery partner performance.
- Review Delivery Partner budgets and ensure its incorporated in the overall budget.
- Cost & Budget management for delivery centers, with an aim of getting the best value while still maintaining high standards in quality and operations.
Key Working Relationships
- Delivery Partners – advice and support senior leadership head in maintaining strategic partnerships with Delivery Partners and to advocate for Education-to-Employment and promote support for Generation Kenya work.
- Donor Relationships – collaborate with donors as assigned while maintaining strategic operations and advocate for Education-to-Employment promoting support for Generation Kenya work.
- Kenya & Global Operations Team – support and advice the Chief Operations Officer on global and local operations strategy development and management.
- Generation Programme Kenya Program Team – in liaison with Chief Operations Officer, regularly engage, advice and support internal teams in Generation Programme Kenya as Operations advisor, on best practice in Operations management to ensure delivery of high quality and timely funder reporting.
Knowledge, Qualifications And Experience
- An undergraduate degree. A post graduate degree in social sciences, business or a relevant field will be an added advantage.
- You have a minimum of 10 years’ of relevant professional experience working engaging organizing and managing programs/projects.
- Embody values and understand the future challenges and opportunities for youth empowerment and is passionate about creating an impact in Kenya’s employment ecosystem.
- Experience in youth development is desirable.
- Comprehensive knowledge of Microsoft programs (Excel, PowerPoint, MS project, etc.).
Skills And Abilities
- Excellent oral/presentation skills.
- Excellent written skills in English, especially report writing.
- Strong teamwork orientation, with an ability to lead and work effectively with a range of partners and colleagues.
- Strong interpersonal and ability to communicate to people of all walks of life.
- Strategic and innovative with ability to sell the vision of Generation.
- Ability to explain complex ideas in easily accessible way tailored to different audiences.
- Strong planning skills.
- Self-starter with confidence and ability to drive things with minimal oversight.
- Strong leadership skills, executive disposition, and commitment to working as a team – ability to take a cooperative and problem-solving approach.
- Ability to develop and maintain positive relationship with a wide range of stakeholder, including and not limited to Delivery Partner organizations.
- Commitment to respect and value equality and diversity and understanding of how this applies to own area of work.
- Commitment to own continuing personal and professional development.
- Demonstrate high levels of integrity and aligned with Generation vision, mission, and values.
• Ability to travel frequently within Kenya, and potential occasional travel in the region and internationally.
INTERESTED candidates please submit your applications to [email protected] attaching your resume and a motivational statement (maximum 1000 words) explaining why you are a suitable fit for the position. Your applications must be received by Friday 19nd February 2021 indicating in the subject: Program Operations Manager.
Equality and diversity: Generation is committed both to promoting equality and diversity within the organization and to equal opportunities in employment. We believe in equality of opportunity regardless of race or racial group (including colour, nationality, ethnicity, national origins), religion or belief, age, disability, sexual orientation, sex, gender re-assignment and gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, and pregnancy, maternity and paternity. This also includes any incidents of perceptive or associative discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are made entirely on merit. Generation does not ask for payment from people that apply for jobs with Generation at any stage of the hiring process. If you have any specific queries, please feel free to contact us at [email protected]
To report instances of fraud or unethical business practices by any of our staff, vendors or mobilisers please reach out on this link for our Ethics hotline and / or the executive leadership team on [email protected]
Posted in Jobs Tags: advice, advisor, advocate, and, apparel, Apply, area, beverage, business, career, careers, center, civil, collection, communication, company, compliance, cost, delivery, development, donor, Economic, Education, electricity, Employment, Empowerment, executive, field, financial, food, full time, GAP, graduate, Group, growth, head, Hiring, human, Human Resource, identity, impact, information, internet, interview, interviews, job, Jobs, Kenya, key, Knowledge, Leadership, Liaison, logistics, maintenance, Management, manager, manufacturing, nairobi, of, officer, one, operations, operations management, operations manager, Operations officer, opportunities, Opportunity, partner, Partnerships, people, person, personal, planning, professional, program, program management, programs, project, Promotion, Quality, Recruit, Relationship, renewable, report writing, reporting, reports, resource, retail, sales, scaling, senior, services, social, social sciences, solutions, strategy, support, systems, teaching, team, technology, the, training, travel, two, work, writing, Youth