Job Vacancy – Programme Manager
Duma Works is recruiting a Programme Manager in Nairobi for Mawazo Institute.
About The Organisation
The Mawazo Institute is a non-profit research institute based in Nairobi, Kenya. In Kiswahili, “mawazo” means “ideas.”
Founded in the US in late 2016, Mawazo was registered in Kenya in mid-2017 and will launch operations in late 2017. We support the next generation of female thought leaders and scholars in Africa, and get policymakers and the public engaged with their work. Our goal is to help female scholars become recognised as experts in their fields, and connect them with leaders in government and industry who could benefit from having access to timely, high quality research on the development issues facing Africa today.
Mawazo runs programmes which build research capacity for women in academia, and conduct outreach related to their work. The PhD Scholars and Research Fellows programmes support women who are pursuing research careers. The Policy Lab and Public Engagement programmes put Mawazo’s research into action by connecting it to leaders in government and industry, civil society members, and members of the public. For 2018 –2019, Mawazo’s work will focus on the priority research areas of energy and climate change, with additional topics added in future years.
For more information visit: www.mawazoinstitute.org
We are currently seeking a programme manager to support our core operations and assist with our strategic planning for the next several years. The PM will join the current management team of the CEO and COO in managing Mawazo’s day-to-day operations; continually learning about how we can refine our model and meet our strategic goals; and building relationships with funders and other institutional partners to support our organisational growth. The position offers the chance to build managerial and research skills in a dynamic environment focussed on women’s empowerment.
The programme manager’s responsibilities fall into three main areas. These tasks listed are representative, and other duties may also be assigned.
- Manage the recruitment process for the PhD Scholars fellowship
- Plan training programmes for the PhD Scholars, and identify partner organisations which can support their training needs.
- Provide writing and editing support for the PhD Scholars as they seek to publish their work
- Manage a database of grants for African academics,which we are building as a resource for the PhD Scholars
- Event planning for the Public Engagement and Policy Lab programmes, including public lectures and debates with the Mawazo Scholars and Fellows, and small group roundtables with key decisionmakers in government and industry
- Data collection for our qualitative, interview-based monitoring & evaluation strategy
- Manage 1 –2 interns on an occasional basis
- Write blog posts and manage our social media
- Support the CEO and COO in writing white papers which explore key areas of Mawazo’s mission, such as mapping the think tank ecosystem in Kenya, understanding women’s academic career paths, and generating case studies of successful thought leadership in the Kenyan context
- Develop a “think tank startup toolkit” which summarises Mawazo’s experience of launching a new think tank, and makes our lessons learned publicly available for other people interested in launching a new think tank in Africa
- Support the research projects carried out by the Mawazo Fellows on an as-needed basis, with the possibility to get more involved or co-author depending on interest
- Support the CEO and COO in identifying potential funders for Mawazo, and writing grant applications
- Support the CEO and COO in identifying potential board members, and inviting them to join our board
- Participate in strategic planning sessions to map out Mawazo’s growth trajectory for the next one-, two-, and five-year periods
- Update our strategic plan and concept notes as needed
Education and Skills Required
- A bachelor’s degree in a social science or STEM field is required, with a master’s degree preferred
- At least 2 years of experience working in a substantively similar professional environment, such as a non-profit, consultancy, or think tank, including direct experience in project management and research roles
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English, with Swahili or other local language proficiency preferred
- Attention to detail and strong organisational, analytical, and critical thinking skills
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively, and to seek assistance with projects as required
- An interest in continual learning and professional growth
- Commitment to the Mawazo Institute’s mission and values
Terms of Offer
Compensation and benefits for the programme manager position include:
- Competitive salary
- 21 days of paid holiday
- 10 days of paid sick / family leave
- 3 months paid parental leave, in the event of the birth or adoption of a child by the employee or employee’s partner
- Health insurance
Send your Cover Letter and detailed CV to [email protected]rks.com marking the subject as “3084”, Your Full name & Phone number e.g. 3084 Barack Obama, +2547xxxxxxxx. If you don’t follow these instructions, your application will not go through.
* You will receive a confirmation email and an alert to take a basic screening test over SMS or online. The email with the test may not arrive immediately. Please be patient. The email/SMS test will typically be 5-8 questions to help us understand your background. Regular SMS rates apply to the test.
If you apply and don’t meet these minimum qualifications, we won’t be able to forward your application to the employer.
Posted in Jobs Tags: administrative, africa, analytical, capacity, career, careers, civil, consultancy, development, DUMA, DUMA Works, Education, employee, Empowerment, grants, growth, industry, job, Job Matching, Job Opening, Job Opportunity, job vacancy, jobs in kenya, jobs in nairobi, Kenya, Leadership, learning, manage, Management, manager, monitoring, nairobi, operations, Opportunity, planning, professional, programme manager, project, project management, Quality, Recruiting, Recruitment, recruitment process, research, science, social, Startup, strategy, think tank, training, vacancy, work, works