Job Vacancy – Project Officer – Pride of Amboseli (PoA)
Duma Works is supporting Born Free Foundation to recruit a Project Officer in Amboseli.
Project: Born Free Kenya-Pride of Amboseli
Reports to: Manager, Pride of Amboseli
The Born Free Foundation is a dynamic international wildlife charity, devoted to compassionate conservation and animal welfare. Born Free takes action worldwide to protect threatened species and stop individual animal suffering. Born Free believes wildlife belongs in the wild and works to phase out zoos. We rescue animals from lives of misery in captivity and give them lifetime care. Born Free protects lions, elephants, tigers, gorillas, wolves, polar bears, dolphins, marine turtles and many more species in their natural habitat, working with local communities to help people and wildlife live together, without conflict. Our high-profile campaigns change public attitudes, persuade decision-makers and get results. Every year, Born Free helps hundreds of thousands of animals.
We are looking for a dedicated Project Officer to be based in Amboseli Ecosystem to support the Pride of Amboseli (PoA) programme. The prime responsibility of the PoA programme is to promote coexistence between carnivores and community in Amboseli-West Kilimanjaro Ecosystem (AWKE). The PoA programme is implemented in partnership with AWKE community group ranches and has been running for the last 12 years. The Project Officer will conduct research and data collection and analysis for use in the evaluation of the impact of the programme in meeting its desired outcomes aimed at reducing conflict between humans and predators, protect livestock and reduce incidents of retaliatory killings. In addition, the Project Officer will also be responsible for the timely updating and management of the PoA programme database.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Take a leading role in the project’s research, monitoring and evaluation under the guidance and supervision of PoA Manager
- Collect data, analyse and ensure its safe custody of the same, including regular audit and archiving of data.
- Assist in preparation of scientific publications, conference presentations and other communications of project findings and recommendations.
- Contribute to effective and up-to-date communication and visibility of project activities.
- Assist with the planning and design and undertake survey initiatives.
- Assist in preparation of various written outputs, e.g., draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.
- Contribute to evaluating and documenting key learnings and best practices from research findings & recommendations.
- Participate in the documentation of key project milestones for publication.
- Perform other duties as may be required and assigned by the PoA Manager.
Qualifications and competencies
- A Master’s degree level or equivalent experience in Wildlife Management or Natural Resources Management or environment related discipline with five years’ experience in a similar area.
- Must have sound knowledge and understanding of conservation issues in the context of community livelihoods.
- Proficiency in both ecological and social survey and monitoring techniques.
- Must have skills in data collection tools, data collection, handling, and management.
- Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work, and manage conflicting priorities.
- Ability to speak and write English clearly and effectively.
- Must be able to develop clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies.
- A thorough understanding and experience of the Amboseli ecosystem.
- Must be a member of and residing in Olgulului/Olorashi, Eselenkei or Mailwa group ranches.
To apply online click here
This position will remain open until filled.
* You will receive a confirmation email and an alert to take a basic screening test online. The email with the test may not arrive immediately. Please be patient. The email test will typically be 5-8 questions to help us understand your background.
If you apply and don’t meet these minimum qualifications, we will not be able to move forward with your application.
Posted in Jobs Tags: conservation, conservation jobs, Data Analysis, data collecting, ecology, jobs in kenya, M&E, Monitoring and evaluation, monitoring and evaluation administrator, natural resource management, natural resources management, program management, programme management, project management, project manager, project reporting, research, wildlife management