Job Vacancy – Rooms Division Manager in Nairobi
Duma Works is recruiting a Rooms Division Manager for one of our clients; one of the most sought-after hospitality destination in Nairobi.
As Rooms Divisions Manager you are responsible for overseeing the strategic and day to day operational needs for both Front Office and Housekeeping Teams.
We are looking for someone to drive personalised tailored guest service and to ensure that all guest needs are met and exceeded and operational departments are performing to maximum efficiency. You will need to maintain continuous contact with intra-departments and handle all queries and complaints in a professional manner, communicating quality feedback to all relevant departments. Working closely with the human resources team, you will also be involved in human resources related activities such as recruitment and selection, employee relations, performance appraisal and the co-ordination of training within the front office department. We are looking for an individual who shares our passion for delivering outstanding guest service. Previous managerial experience in front office within a similar establishment is essential.
As Room Division Manager, you will need to:
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate at all levels within the organisation.
- Demonstrate strong organisational and administration skills as well as the ability to troubleshoot and provide options to any ad hoc guest queries and complaints as well as those of your team.
- You will also need to demonstrate strong people management skills, with an eye for detail and a positive attitude towards continuous learning and development in your team.
- Knowledge of foreign languages and Fidelio PMS is an asset.
- Assist the General Manager with the oversight of all aspects of Property Management in accordance with Company mission statement, including maximization of financial performance, guest satisfaction, and staff development within established quality standards.
- Responsible for the hiring, training and discipline of all hotel staff. Manages the hotel in the absence of the General Manager.
Rooms Division Managers must have developed reasoning abilities to the point to be able to:
- Apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Use mathematical skills to interpret financial information and prepare budgets.
- Read and interpret business records and statistical reports.
- Make business and management decisions based on production reports and similar facts, as well as on your own experience and personal opinions.
To perform this job successfully, the individual must be able to perform each essential duty and responsibility in a safe and satisfactory manner, and the individual must be punctual and have a good attendance record, and have reliable means of transportation to work.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
- Absent extraordinary prior on-the-job experience, the Rooms Division Manager position requires a High School diploma or general education degree (GED) and preferably either a two-year business degree or a four-year business or liberal arts degree (or equivalent combination of education and experience). A degree in hotel/hospitality management preferred but not a must.
- At least 6 years experience in a similar position.
- Requires an occupationally-significant combination of vocational education, apprentice training, on the-job training, and essential experience in less responsible hotel skill level and management positions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversees overall day-to-day hotel operations as delegated by the General Manager.
- Participates in the development of short-term and long-term financial and operational plans for the hotel which support the overall objectives of the Company.
- Assists General Manager with the execution of marketing, sales, and operational activities, producing results that meet or exceed the hotel’s business plan.
- Maintains reservations systems such as Company-issued internet browser programs and Property Management System.
- Assists General Manager with the monitoring of the performance of the hotel through verification and analysis of guest satisfaction systems and financial reports. Suggests and implements corrective actions.
- Maintains product and service quality standards by conducting ongoing evaluations and investigating complaints. Suggests and implements corrective actions.
- Creates an operating environment that assures consistent guest satisfaction. Ensures proper handling of guest complaints.
- Ensures implementation of applicable preventive maintenance programs that protect the physical assets of the hotel.
- As required of all hotel associates, assists any customer or potential customer in a prompt, courteous, friendly, and helpful manner at all times.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Ensures implementation of appropriate technology solutions to increase customer service and hotel revenues.
- Strong people skills. Must be able to manage relationships across multiple business units, departments, and external vendors.
- Ensures the efficient and effective operation of the Housekeeping and Front Office departments.
- Establishes workflows for requesting, creating, editing, and publishing social media content and communications (including real time implementations).
- Establishes and maintains a pro-active human resource function to ensure employee motivation, training and development, wage and benefits administration, and compliance with established labour regulations.
- Supervises and motivates designated employees; carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the Company’s policies, training programs, and applicable laws. Responsibilities include training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Understands the government regulations affecting hotel’s operations, ensuring hotel is operated in compliance with all applicable laws, ordinances and, regulations requirements.
- Ensures good safety practices of employees and guests, assisting in the maintenance of proper emergency and security procedures.
- Flexibility to respond to off-hours business needs.
Further Job Specific Tasks
Business Strategy Development
- Stays current with industry trends and monitors strengths and weakness of competition.
- Explores new business opportunities.
- Develops business plans designed to maximize property customer satisfaction, profitability, and market share.
Business Strategy Execution
- Executes business plans designed to maximize property customer satisfaction, profitability, and market share.
- Ensures that property business plans and employees are aligned with brand business strategies.
- Holds property leadership team accountable for successful delivery of business plans.
- Experiments with new ideas and takes calculated risks to improve guest satisfaction and profitability.
- Evaluates the success of property business strategies to inform future business plan enhancements.
- Continually ensures business plans and actions have a positive impact on property performance.
Talent Management and Organizational Capability
- Creates a cohesive and high-performance Executive Committee (section heads) that continuously strive for positive results and improvement.
- Coaches Executive Committee by providing specific feedback and holds them accountable for performance.
- Creates learning and development opportunities for employees.
- Creates and effectively executes development plans for both direct reports based on their individual strengths, development needs, and career aspirations;
- Ensures all section heads are doing the same for their direct reports;
- Identifies resource needs to strengthen property team.
- Creates succession plans for future job openings.
- Actively supports the staffing process.
- Ensures effective work processes, systems and teamwork are in place to maximize individual and overall property performance.
- Serves as a passionate brand advocate and ensures that the intent of the brand is pulled through in the guest experience.
- Communicates a clear and consistent message regarding property and brand goals to employees, property leadership team, and owners.
- Serves as a role model by demonstrating exceptional work ethic and service delivery for all employees on property.
- Champions change.
- Inspires and motivates team to achieve operational excellence; represents brand values in all leadership actions.
Business Information Analysis
- Reviews business related data such as market share, financial performance, inventory, employee engagement, and customer satisfaction.
- Analyses business information to proactively address changing market conditions, ensure property operates within budgetary guidelines, and achieves profit margin goals.
- Uses business information to identify indicators of product and service successes and opportunities for improvement.
- Integrates business information into business plans.
- Builds strong rapport with property owners through proactive and on-going communication.
- Keeps owner informed of brand initiatives and guest experiences.
- Provides owners with in-depth analysis of property performance, incorporating guest, financial and employee business data.
- Manages an effective balance between owner interests and brand interests and develops solutions that create value for both. Develops and effectively promotes ideas for improving property service and profitability to ownership.
- Gains understanding of the departmental goals and financial revenue targets.
- Controls the budget according to the marketing plan and business requirements.
- To help control operating costs within the standards set under the direction of the department Manager.
- Works with Revenue Management team (Marketing and Finance Controller/Officer) to develop effective pricing strategies, balancing seasonality, economy, customer segments, property objectives and customer satisfaction; established revenue strategy that supports brand positioning in local market; ensures demand forecasting and sound revenue practices are in place to maximize yield; identifies ways to grow occupancy, RevPAR, and market share by researching and staying aware of competitor strategies; controls labour and capital expenses.
- Responsible for Mystery Shopper Reports and staff development.
- Expert level knowledge of leveraging social media technologies such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, blogs, and working knowledge of web analytics Software.
- Proficiency in using personal computer and various office software packages including word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, calendaring, and email management.
- Ability to create, compose, and edit written and electronic materials.
- Honest and reliable.
- Respectful to guests, colleagues and management.
- “Yes I can”mentality.
Rooms Division Managers must have developed language skills to be able to:
- Excellent command of English language (verbal and written)
- Ability to speak effectively in English before groups such as customers or employees.
- Read and interpret documents in English such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals, newspapers, periodicals, journals, and manuals.
- Write routine reports, correspondence, business letters, summaries, and reports in English using prescribed format, and conforming to all rules of punctuation, grammar, diction, and style.
- Ability to speak additional languages such as Spanish or, French or, German or, Italian, or Portuguese is an advantage.
Rooms Division Managers must have sufficient computer skills that will allow them to be able to use, in a proficient manner, all Company-issued software programs implemented at the hotel, including but not limited to the following:
- Microsoft Office: Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel and, Microsoft PowerPoint
- Yield Management Systems programs
- Property Management System (PMS) programs
- Daily Revenue System (DRS) programs
- Central Reservation System programs
- Company-issued internet browser programs
- Company-issued electronic mail programs
Send your Cover Letter and detailed CV to [email protected] marking the subject as “3204”, Your Full name & Phone number e.g. 3204 Barack Obama, +2547xxxxxxxx. If you don’t follow these instructions, your application will not go through.
Deadline for receiving applications: Friday, 23rd February 2018
* You will receive a confirmation email and an alert to take a basic screening test over SMS or online. The email with the test may not arrive immediately. Please be patient. The email/SMS test will typically be 5-8 questions to help us understand your background. Regular SMS rates apply to the test.
If you apply and don’t meet these minimum qualifications, we will not be able to move forward with you application.
Posted in Jobs Tags: Customer service, DUMA, DUMA Works, employee relations, executive, Finance, financial, Front, front office, general, general manager, Hiring, hospitality, hospitality management, hotel, hotel management, housekeeping, human resources, job, Job Matching, Job Opening, Job openings, Job Opportunity, job vacancy, jobs in nairobi, Kenya, Management, manager, Marketing, nairobi, operations, people management, professional, Recruiting, Recruitment, Rooms Division Manager, sales, Social Media, strategy, Vacancies, vacancy, work