Job Vacancy – Senior Associate, Climate
Senior Associate, Climate
About the Organization
CLASP serves at the epicenter of collaborative, ambitious efforts to mitigate climate change and in the global movement for clean energy access, through appliance efficiency. Our mission is to improve the energy and environmental performance of the appliances & equipment we use every day, accelerating our transition to a more sustainable world. We work hand-in-hand with governments, experts, industry, consumers, donor organizations and others to propel policies and markets toward the highest quality, lowest resource-intensive appliances possible.
CLASP has worked in more than 100 countries since inception in 1999. CLASP is headquartered in Washington, DC, with teams in Europe, Kenya, India and Indonesia. We are mission-driven and committed to a culture of diversity, transparency, collaboration, and impactful work. See our Team Page to learn more about us.
Senior Associate – Climate
The Senior Associate will be a key member of the CLASP East Africa program team and will be responsible for supporting the design and implementation of CLASP’s strategy, plans, and deliverables for the Africa program. The Senior Associate will work closely with colleagues as well as external partners and stakeholders to lead the development and execution of program goals and objectives in Africa and will perform a wide range of activities including program and project management, stakeholder engagement and relationship development, program and policy planning, business development, and market and technology assessments. The Senior Associate will work collaboratively with CLASP’s Climate team in Washington, D.C., India, Europe and Southeast Asia, as well as a wide network of international partners and program stakeholders in Africa, including government agencies, funding institutions, program partners, appliance manufacturers and distributors, and local and international NGOs and companies to support standards development and implementation in Africa, as well as other countries and regions as needed.
- Engage with Africa team on scoping of a complex, fast-moving programmatic portfolio, develop annual work plan with goals and objectives related to program and projects, and actively contribute to the development of strategies and plans to achieve the program goal.
- Provide technical and programmatic support to the Africa team in the design and execution of current and planned program activities including product market assessments, technical studies, and strategic plans.
- Provide project management support for activities in Kenya, draft terms of reference and RFPs for technical studies, participate in the review and assessment of proposals, prepare budgetary estimates, and track and monitor programmatic activities and outcomes to ensure the highest quality work and outputs.
- Establish strong relationships and coordinate well with all key stakeholders in the sector, including government agencies, implementing partners, and other companies and organizations.
- Collaborate closely with CLASP’s communications team to prepare and disseminate compelling stories of program success, research outcomes, and lessons learned, and represent CLASP at workshops, conferences, and other stakeholder consultations on key issues.
- Collaborate with CLASP’s Climate team to advance its growing portfolio in other countries and regions.
The Senior Associate will play key roles in some on-going projects commensurate with their knowledge and experience. Specifically:
- Minamata: In 2013, the United Nations launched the Minamata Convention on Mercury, an international treaty designed to protect human health and the environment by eliminating mercury from consumer products and industrial processes. The Convention has been ratified by 125 countries, and members are preparing for the fourth Conference of the Parties (COP4) in November 2021. Although fluorescent lamps contain mercury, they were previously given special dispensation and exempted from the Convention because of the critical role they played in lighting homes and businesses. However, in the last five years the rapid pace of LED technology and market development has resulted in inexpensive, energy-efficient LEDs that can replace fluorescent lamps in virtually all applications anywhere in the world. Now, the exemption for fluorescent lighting is under review and positioned for a vote by the parties to the Convention at COP4. The Senior Associate will work collaboratively with CLASP team members in Kenya, the United States and around the world, along with our wide network of international partners and program stakeholders on the innovative and impactful campaign to eliminate mercury-based lighting through the Minamata Convention on Mercury.
- The Senior Associate will contribute to the development and delivery of evidence based for Africa. Working with CLASP team members and consultants supporting this activity, help develop the technical/analytical evidence base needed for countries in the region to sponsor or support an Amendment on banning mercury in lighting products. Help deliver that evidence base to members of governments and others, when needed, in collaboration with CLASP Workstream Leads.
- SIDA-UNIDO EELA Project Year 2: This project develops Standards for Lighting and appliances in the SADC and EAC regions, and helps ensure compliance. The first phase carried out a market assessment for lighting, developed draft regional standards and proposed a concept for the compliance framework while building the capacity of regional bodies SACREEE and EACREEE to carry on with the Standards work. The second phase will focus on providing technical assistance to Member States to advance on the national MEPS; support the development of procurement guidelines; elaborate a comprehensive regional compliance framework and organise trainings on compliance. The Senior Associate will help with the finalization of regional standards, development of national standards and continued capacity support to SACREEE and EACREEE.
- Crux South Africa 2: This project has so far been supporting the development of policies and compliance activities for general service lamps. In addition, it supports capacity development at SANEDI, a Government agency responsible for energy efficiency policy work. In the second phase, the project is advancing policies for street lighting and televisions, and launch policies for electric motors while continuing to support SANEDI. The Senior Associate lead will support these activities.
- GCF Botswana and Tanzania: The two projects aim to leapfrog the two countries (and six others not in our scope) to efficient refrigerators and distribution transformers by developing standards and labels, developing compliance mechanisms, awareness raising and putting in place financing mechanisms. The role will support the components on development of standards, compliance, and awareness raising.
The Ideal Candidate
- 5+years of experience in the design and management of energy-related projects and/or programs, with a strong preference for relevant experience in appliance energy efficiency policy, regulations, and technical analysis.
- Outstanding communication skills in both written and spoken English and proven ability to convey technical content in a clear and concise manner.
- Strong project management skills, demonstrated ability to manage teams and contractors, and ability to develop strong relationships with diverse project stakeholders; knows how to work through people to get results and can own processes across teams.
- Excellent analytical skills and demonstrated ability to conduct technical analysis and translate findings into policy recommendations. Experience with Excel and/or other analytical software is highly preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills and an orientation toward working in a collaborative environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (e.g., engineering, international relations, environmental science) required or equivalent professional/academic qualifications.
- Strong time management and organizational skills with ability to manage multiple tasks and projects at a time under deadline while managing other colleagues.
- Strong work ethic and an ability to take initiative; a drive to learn and grow on the job.
- Ability to maintain composure, flexibility, and a sense of humor under tight deadlines.
- Intellectual agility and a commitment to professional development.
- Professional experience in business development.
Compensation and Location
CLASP provides its employees with a highly competitive salary that is benchmarked annually with similar organizations in Kenya. CLASP also provides a comprehensive benefits package, including fully paid health insurance for individuals and their families/dependents, unlimited leave, a matching of employee contributions to the pension, and a collegial office environment that supports professional development, wellness and flexible telecommuting options.
This position is full-time and based in the CLASP’s Nairobi office. Occasional evening or weekend hours may be required. Domestic or international travel may be required occasionally, following a risk assessment and internal approval by CLASP due to the ongoing pandemic.
Duma Works is assisting CLASP in its recruitment efforts. To be considered for a position, interested candidates must follow the link below to submit a resume, cover letter and salary requirements through Duma’s job portal.
Click here to submit your application.
CLASP is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran status.
This position will remain open until filled.
* You will receive a confirmation email and an alert to take a basic screening test online. The email with the test may not arrive immediately. Please be patient. The email test will typically be 5-8 questions to help us understand your background.
If you apply and don’t meet these minimum qualifications, we will not be able to move forward with your application.
Posted in Jobs Tags: africa, agency, analysis, analytical, and, associate, below, building, business, business development, capacity, clean energy, climate change, communication, Communications, compliance, content, delivery, Design, development, distribution, donor, East Africa, employee, Employment, energy, engineering, environment, excel, field, general, government, human, Humor, identity, industrial, industry, insurance, international, international relations, job, Kenya, key, Knowledge, manage, Management, market, Markets, nairobi, network, of, Office, Opportunity, pension, people, planning, policies, procurement, product, professional, program, programs, project, project management, proposals, Quality, Recruitment, relations, Relationship, research, salary, senior, service, software, South Africa, strategy, Success, support, team, technical, technology, the, travel, two, work, works