Job Vacancy – Senior Web Engineer
Duma Works is recruiting a Senior Web Engineer for our client; a leading web and mobile services technology company in Nairobi.
We are looking for a‘full stack’ Senior Web Engineer responsible for the development and maintenance of server-side logic and front-end get ups for varied web and mobile platforms. You will be working along-side other engineers and developers tasked on different parts of larger platforms. Therefore, commitment to collaborative problem solving, sophisticated design, and creating quality products is essential. Front end tasks will include translation of the UI/UX design wire frames to actual code that will produce visual elements of the application(s)/platform(s). You will work with the UI/UX designer and bridge the gap between graphical design and technical implementation, taking an active role on both sides and defining how the application(s)/platform(s) look and work. Backend tasks will include setting up plus securing test and production environments end to end, writing web services and APIs used by the front-end and third-party services, integrating to 3rd party services via web services and API’s. This position offers tremendous career and personal growth opportunities
- Manage the full technical life-cycle of web and mobile web projects during each development phase.
- Translate designs and wire frames into high quality code.
- Design, build, and maintain high performance, reusable, and reliable code.
- Managing relevant code and asset repositories.
- Collaborate with team members to brainstorm about new products, provide each other with technical insight and code reviews.
- Ensure the best possible performance, quality, and responsiveness of code deployed.
- Help maintain code quality, organization, and deployment automation.
- Identify and correct bottlenecks and fix bugs.
- Perform individual project components within the entire development lifecycle including implementation, testing, deployment and maintenance.
- Work from UI/UX outputs, APIs, mockups to build functional, high-performance front end interfaces and backend logic/architecture.
- Implementation of security and data protection.
- Design and implementation of data storage solutions.
- Compiling and writing documentation for solutions developed.
- Knowledge transfer to internal publics or clients.
- Working with business development and customer service teams to obtain and analyze project requirement and improve user experience.
- Work with product managers, clients and sales teams to assess customer demand and usability of new applications.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, second class honors, first division and above.
- Proven, 5 years of overall software development for the web and mobile medium as a core.
- Deep understanding of user authentication and authorization between multiple systems, servers, and environments.
- Deep understanding and implementation of micro service architecture.
- Management of hosting environments, including database administration and scaling.
- Proficient database knowledge -MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite; capacity planning, installation, configuration,database design, migration, performance monitoring, security, troubleshooting, backup and data recovery.
- Data migration, transformation, and scripting.
- Setup and administration of backups.
- Outputting data in different formats.
- Understanding differences between multiple delivery medium such as mobile vs desktop, and optimizing output to match the specific medium.
- Creating database schemas that represent and support business processes across projects.
- Implementing automated testing platforms and unit tests.
- Proficient knowledge of PHP Frameworks–Laravel and Code Igniter preference.
- Good understanding of asynchronous request handling, partial page updates,AJAX, websockets and the real-timeweb.
- Proficient understanding and implementation of security principles.
- Understanding of “session management” in a distributed server environment.
- Competency in the Firebase service stack.
- Deep competency in Google Cloud Platform especially Compute, Storage and Big Data.
- Expert level with version control system Git.
- Strong knowledge of Web Services & RESTAPIs.
- Working knowledge of image authoring tools such as Gimp or Photoshop.
- Good understanding of SEO principles and schemas for structured data.
- Comfortable working with huge data sets and massively high user load.
- Working knowledge of the general web and mobile landscape, architectures, trends, and emerging technologies.
- Solid understanding of the full software development life cycle.
- Ability to understand business requirements and translate them into technical requirements.
- A knack for benchmarking and performance optimization.
- Familiarity with continuous integration.
- Excellent verbal and written communication in English and Swahili.
The plus: Flexibility, adaptability and the ability to learn quickly in various technical and creative environments, while delivering quality work by tight deadlines. Scala will be an added advantage
Send your Cover Letter and detailed CV to [email protected] marking the subject as “3015”, Your Full name & Phone number e.g. 3015 Barack Obama, +2547xxxxxxxx. If you don’t follow these instructions, your application will not go through.
Deadline for receiving applications: Friday, 08 September 2017
* You will receive a confirmation email and an alert to take a basic screening test over SMS or online. The email with the test may not arrive immediately. Please be patient. The email/SMS test will typically be 5-8 questions to help us understand your background. Regular SMS rates apply to the test.
If you apply and don’t meet these minimum qualifications, we won’t be able to forward your application to the employer.