Job Vacancy – Sr. Software Engineer – CLOSED
Our team works across the globe and hails from over 15 countries. We speak more than 20 languages and have studied and worked in leading educational, business, research and government institutions. We are mission-driven thinkers, and we share a deep respect for each other and for the communities that partner with us. We believe in innovation with purpose, focusing on developing real and applicable technology solutions to the challenges facing the planet. We believe in working ethically and collaboratively and making decisions with transparency. We value flexibility, adaptability, and a good sense of humor. We are looking for a senior-level Software Engineer with experience developing full stack applications. Our existing stack is built on the AWS platform. Most apps use React, Node and GraphQL and our data pipelines harness a variety of exciting technologies like IoT, event-based architectures, and AI/ML. This role will support mid-level and junior engineers on the team, reports directly to the Lead Software Engineer, and interfaces with our Product and Analytics teams in a Scrum-adjacent environment.
What you’ll do:
- Build performant and maintainable applications using Node within the AWS ecosystem.
- Work throughout the stack in an event-driven architecture.
- Write high quality, maintainable and well documented code in a collaborative environment.
- Maintain security best practices, both personally, and in the development of applications.
- Engage with stakeholders in our Scrum process to establish realistic estimates, requirements and scopes.
- Work with the Engineering Manager to ensure timelines are clear, and notify the team in the event of delays.
- Communicate progress throughout the development process.
- Develop and evaluate technical solutions and clearly explain technical concepts in an approachable and accessible way to the team.
- Help build consensus around best practices and ensure those are applied in all our solutions.
- Support junior and mid-level developers through mentorship, code review, and design planning.
- Ensure we meet the highest standards for performance, maintainability and quality.
- Research technologies and best practices to make informed technical and architectural decisions.
- Collaborate with other developers in the stack on implementation decisions.
- Support development, documentation and maintenance of shared packages.
Who you are:
- Someone who respects all voices and feels comfortable being on and participating in a team that challenges entrenched power dynamics.
- Autodidactic, especially with regard to new technologies.
- Patient and resilient, with the ability to effectively deal with setbacks.
- A collaborative team player with experience working in a self-directed, autonomous fashion.
- A problem-solver who will continually look for a way to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of our processes.
- Interested in shaping team culture, development processes, strategies, and the long-term growth of our company.
What you have:
- Several years experience working on a team as a Senior Software Engineer.
- Experience building accessible and performant applications at scale.
- Strong knowledge of the following (or related) technologies: React, Node, GraphQL, Cloud platforms, Github.
- Experience deploying complex applications in the cloud.
- Familiarity with event streams.
- Ability to spot potential bugs, issues, and pitfalls before they get translated into code and the motivation to work across teams to produce the best product for our users.
- Experience working cross-culturally, cross-functionally and collaboratively with remote and distributed teams across multiple time zones.
- Experience explaining technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders.
- Professional fluency in written and spoken English.
- Dedication to the quality of your work and your craft.
What Hala Offers You
- Life-saving, socially impactful work.
- Competitive salaries.
- Unlimited vacation policy and flexible holidays so you can take time off when you need it. All staff take a minimum of 22 days off plus holidays, including a mandatory 2 week vacation.
- Comprehensive, world-wide healthcare, dental and vision insurance for you and your family at no cost to you.
- Paid parental leave.
- Flexible working policy, including the ability to work from home.
- Computer and other office equipment to help you get your job done.
- Relocation assistance for you, your family, and your pets for eligible positions.
- A diverse, international community of dedicated, hardworking team players committed to interdisciplinary collaboration and a thriving workplace culture.
- Opportunities for international travel, including to program locations and satellite offices.
To be considered for a position, interested candidates should follow the link below to submit a resume/CV through Duma’s job portal.
Click here to submit your application.
This position is closed
* You will receive a confirmation email and an alert to take a basic screening test online. The email with the test may not arrive immediately. Please be patient. The email test will typically be 5-8 questions to help us understand your background.
If you apply and don’t meet these minimum qualifications, we will not be able to move forward with your application.
Posted in Jobs Tags: aws, Cloud platforms, Data, Design, Developer Jobs, development, Engineer, engineering, enterprise, Full stack developer, Fullstack developer, Github, GraphQL, innovation, intelligence, international, Node, opportunities, Opportunity, product, product developer, product development, React, Recruitment, remote jobs, research, Scrum, security, Senior Software Engineer, Social Enterprise, software, software engineer, software solutions, systems, tech jobs, technical, technical jobs, technology, work abroad