Job Vacancy – Technical Program Advisor
The BOMA Project is a fast-growing, award-winning organization (non-profit in US; Kenyan NGO) that is implementing a high-impact income and savings program for women in the Dry-lands of Africa.
We do this through the Rural Entrepreneur Access Project (REAP), an innovative two-year poverty graduation program for women living in extreme poverty in northern Kenya; Samburu and Marsabit Counties.
PURPOSE OF THE POST
The Technical Program Advisor for REAP serves as the primary source of training and technical support for selected partners of the BOMA Project who have an interest in implementing BOMA’s poverty graduation program, REAP, in areas or countries where the BOMA Project does not operate.
This is a strategic position that requires acumen and in-depth knowledge of program work and organizational linkages (both internal and external). The holder of this position must be a critical thinker, able to innovate and interrogate program strategies; with ability to study and replicate strategies and methodologies within different organizations and intervention areas.
The post is based in Nanyuki, but will initially require frequent travel in Kenya, particularly wherever partner interventions occur, including Northern Kenya.
The position reports to the Country Director of the BOMA Project.
- Provide training, technical support and guidance to BOMA Project partners in the implementation and monitoring and evaluation of the REAP poverty graduation program through extended assignments to the partner’s area of operations, as well as regular telephone calls, email communication and follow up visits to each supported partner as requested and necessary.
- Review and provide technical and training input on proposals, agreements and MOUs for partnership.
- Review and provide technical and training input on internal and external reports and other documents as needed.
- Support partner programs in the recruitment of local staff by providing job descriptions and required qualifications, creating interview question templates and providing feedback to local management on the hiring process.
- Ensure the quality of REAP programs being implemented by the partner program follow BOMA Project standards and guiding principles
- Ensure progress towards objectives and targets of partner REAP programs and donors
- Ensure monitoring and quality control mechanisms are in place.
- Ensure sharing of evidence of REAP interventions and best practices through written reports for internal and external stakeholders
- Ensure processes are in place for the continual documentation of lessons learned and the feedback mechanisms that support continual improvements of the REAP program implemented through partners
- Work with partner program managers to develop timely work plans.
- Contribute to the professional development of partner field staff through training, mentoring, and other guidance.
- Liaise with colleagues in the Main Office of BOMA to access additional technical resources as needed.
- Ensure that the objectives and activities of the partner implementation reflect the strategic objectives of BOMA’s commitment to scale and replication of the REAP program.
- Contribute to the development of new and innovative approaches and initiatives in REAP programming.
Perform other tasks as negotiated with supervisor.
- Holder of a Bachelor’s degree in Management, International Development, Social Studies or related field (Master’s degree is an added advantage).
- Minimum of 5 years of management experience in the private sector and/or non-profit international sector and previous experience working in the fields of technical program assistance and training in a developing country, with deep knowledge of the political, economic and social issues facing the East Africa region.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, both written and oral.
- Demonstrated ability to train and engage staff and partners.
- Strategic thinker with ability to innovate and find new ways of doing things.
- A valid driving license; experience with 4X4 vehicles an added advantage.
Cover letter (maximum 2 pages) and detailed CV are to be sent by email to [email protected] marking the subject as “2270”, Your Full name & Phone number e.g. 2270, Barack Obama, 07xxxxxxxxx. If you don’t follow these instructions, your application will not go through
Deadline for receiving applications: 31st August 2016
* When applying to any job through Duma Works, you can expect that after you apply, you will receive a confirmation email, and then an SMS alert asking you to take a basic screening test over SMS or online. The SMS with the test may not arrive immediately. Please be patient. The SMS test will typically be 5-8 questions to help us understand your background. Regular SMS rates apply to the test, and if you ever have any issues with the process, please reach out to 0702093793.
If you apply and don’t meet these minimum qualifications, we won’t be able to forward your application to the employer. This is to save both you and the employer time and make sure you both find the best match.
Posted in Jobs Tags: advisor, ajira, consultant, job, kazi, Kenya, Management, manager, nairobi, nanyuki, opening, Opportunity, program, project, project management, technical, technical advisor, vacancy