Job Vacancy – Technical Lead
Generation Kenya is recruiting a Technical Lead to join their team.
Short description summary
The Technical Lead is responsible for all classroom requirements on the Sewing Machine Operator Program.
The role reports to the Program Operations Manager
You will be part of Generation:
Worldwide, more than 75 million young people are unemployed. But many employers can’t find people with the skills they need for entry-level jobs. Generation was created in 2014 to help bridge this gap—at speed and scale.
We have built a skills-training methodology that can serve hundreds of thousands, and eventually millions, of young people a year. And we’re building proof that this training creates real business outcomes for employers, and lasting career impact for trainees—so everyone has the incentive to invest in skills. Our goal is to help our students achieve personal and professional success—and fundamentally change their life trajectories. Generation programs prepare unemployed or underemployed young people, aged 18 to 35, for jobs in multiple sectors.
Generation programs are structured as intensive boot camps ranging from 5-12 weeks. The programs will offer students integrated technical, behavioural, mindset, and employment skills training, mentorship support and community services as well as job-placement support when they graduate.
Generation outcomes to date: Globally, Generation has graduated ~36,000 young people across 100+ cities in 13 countries, in five years of operation. In Kenya, Generation is providing training in: Financial Services Sales, Retail and Restaurant Services, Distributed Sales, Sewing Machine Operations and Food and Beverage Waiters programs. Generation Kenya has trained 17,000+ graduates to date, and in 2019 we’re targeting to train ~6,700 additional graduates who will need to be placed into employment.
- He/she will oversee performance management and staff development across his direct reports.
- Will ensure proper communication flows through the operations structure.
- Will foster a culture that embodies Generation Kenya values of transparency, integrity, solving big problems, helping others, collaboration, teamwork etc
- Will be instrumental in ensuring that individual and team KPIs are meet and maintained across all our programs
- Training/management of centre staff – ensuring staff (coaches, teaching assistants) are prepared before programme begins, assisting them in solving problems, organising weekly staff meetings
- In collaboration with the Training & Quality Manager, ensuring that staff adhere to all Generation Kenya delivery standards
- Ensure proactive communication and coaching of staff on new and existing company polices.
- Give feedback throughout and hold performance evaluations of Program Assistants on a regular basis.
- Support Program Assistants with management of lead trainers on a case by case basis.
Support Instructor Onboarding (20%)
- Support the Training and Quality Control Coordinator in the delivery of in-person onboarding for SMO instructors (before the program starts and during Week 3 of the program).
- Facilitate in-person training sessions on technical aspects of the SMO curriculum, such as prioritized technical sessions, labs, and assessments.
- Collaborate with Training and Quality Control Coordinator and IL&FS expert to identify instructor strengths and potential areas of support in the delivery of technical content.
Support Instructor Delivery and Assessment of SMO Technical Content (30%)
- Review technical session plans and assessments with Generation instructors, clarifying important content, key messages, and behaviors to look for in participant performance.
- Facilitate question and answer sessions with SMO instructors about technical content in the curriculum.
- Promote alignment across SMO instructors in administering assessments by defining quality standards for sewing products and samples.
- Support instructors to clearly communicate quality standards to participants.
- Support instructors to identify quality issues in sewing products, communicate that feedback to participants, and create opportunities for participants to try again.
- Collaborate with the Training and Quality Control Lead and IL&FS expert to deliver any additional technical support to SMO instructors.
Prepare Materials and Machines (10%)
- Ensure materials are distributed to centers.
- Ensure machines are checked by instructors and are in good working condition.
- Ensure Assistant Trainers complete all material preparations meeting standards and timelines
Build Expertise in the SMO Program (20%)
- Collaborate with the Training and Quality Control Lead to understand Generation’s methodology, the structure of the SMO curriculum, and basic guidelines for effective instruction in Generation classrooms.
- Collaborate with the IL&FS technical expert to align on technical standards for the SMO program with instructors.
- Participate in meetings with the Training and Quality Control Lead, the IL&FS expert, and/or other Generation stakeholders to align on and problem solve any challenges related to the delivery of the curriculum.
- Develop a transition plan to eventually assume greater responsibility for the technical training and development of new SMO instructors.
- Learn and adopt best practices and industry standards for Sewing Machine Operators in partnership with IL&FS expert.
Financial Management (20%)
- Manage the overall SMO budget, to ensure proper utilization of funds and aggressively seek areas for cost optimization to enhance sustainability.
- Aggressively source and manage in-kind support from all stakeholders – employment partners, fabric donating partners
- Ensuring prompt student payments.
- Liaising with NITA to for all examination and certification requirements
- Ensure proper and accurate asset management across the SMO program. All assets should be on the asset register and any downtime/breakages should be reported immediately for fixing.
Ensure placement of SMO students within 90 days is completed as per the set processes and in collaboration with Business Development team, and the same is accurately updated into Gen Data. This position is a 2-year fixed term employment engagement with a possibility of renewal based on performance
Please send an application attaching a CV to [email protected] on or before 10th January 2020
Equality and diversity: Generation is committed both to promoting equality and diversity within the organization and to equal opportunities in employment. We believe in equality of opportunity regardless of race or racial group (including colour, nationality, ethnicity, national origins), religion or belief, age, disability, sexual orientation, sex, gender re-assignment and gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, and pregnancy, maternity and paternity. This also includes any incidents of perceptive or associative discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are made entirely on merit. Generation does not ask for payment from people that apply for jobs with Generation at any stage of the hiring process. If you have any specific queries, please feel free to contact us at [email protected]
To report instances of fraud or unethical business practices by our any of our staff, vendors or mobilisers please reach out to the executive leadership team on [email protected] or call the office directly on 0700783511.
Posted in Jobs Tags: Apply, assistant, Best Practices, building, business, business development, career, civil, communication, company, coordinator, cost, development, Employment, graduate, Group, Hiring, industry, job, Jobs, Kenya, Leadership, machine operator, Management, manager, mentorship, operations manager, operator, opportunities, Opportunity, people, placement, program, Quality, Quality control, sales, services, support, teaching, team, technical, technical lead, training, web, work