Job Vacancy – VP of Engineering – Software
Duma Works is recruiting a VP of Engineering – Software for our client; a tech company that provides digital solutions in the transport industry.
We’re looking for a highly motivated and productivity-centered candidate to lead the development team. You will be working in an autonomous, agile environment with a small team that values collaboration, learning, and sharing. You would be joining a tight-knit team in at a time when you can make a real impact on the direction of the company. Being a startup the work is fast paced and varied – you are flexible to change and motivated to deliver the best product possible.
Who you are:
Full-stack web generalist with solid experience in building elegant and human-friendly web applications.
- Languages - PHP, Java, HTML5, CSS, SQL, XML
- Frameworks - jQuery, Node.js, laravel, yii, cake, codeigniter
- Databases - MySQL, NoSQL
- Database designing and knowledge of relational database systems, object oriented programming and web application development.
- Understanding of REST API/ JSON is a must
- Experience in e-commerce platforms, payment gateway integration & operations will be a big advantage especially, on content-heavy platforms.
- Ability to decipher and write complex database queries for analysis
- Good to have knowledge of AWS Cloud Hosting, GCP, Hostgator and Microsoft Azure
- Understanding of load balancing, scalability issues and their solutions
- User authentication and authorization between multiple systems, servers, and environments
- Knowledge and experience with API development and integrations.
- Experience with App development and/or chatbots is a plus
- Develop new user-facing features
- Creating website layout/user interfaces by using standard html/css practices
- Experience with creating beautiful, dynamic and user friendly web applications
- Ensure the technical feasibility of UI/UX designs
- Understanding of open source projects like Drupal, Wordpress, SquareSpace, Magento (CE and EE), Shopify, BigCommerce, OpenCart, PrestaShop etc
- You should be able to quickly learn new languages, frameworks, and technologies as needed.
- You should be able to switch between tech stacks.
- Solid proficiency with other dynamic languages such as Ruby and Python is preferred.
- Basic knowledge of search engine optimization process.
- Experience with USSD/SMS based applications and VAS technologies is a strong point.
- You should be meticulous with documentation and quality control.
- You should have experience with building strong and scalable system architecture.
- Extensive experience working as a developer.
- Experience working in a customer facing role.
- Experience with devops.
- Several years of experience as a team lead or people manager in a technical environment. Experience with using agile methodologies for product development. Strong preference for candidates with some sort of SCRUM certification. Some sort of knowledge of design thinking will be a plus.
- Experience with (and advocate of) modern development techniques including Behaviour Driven Development, test automation, continuous delivery, infrastructure as code, continuous user testing.
- Interest in new innovations such as machine learning, AI, blockchain etc.
Moreover, you should be someone who:
- Puts the company first and strongly believes in the company’s vision.
- Comfortable working for with a diverse, non-technical, and younger team.
- Has excellent communication and listening skills, especially with a diverse team and non-technical colleagues; values transparency in decision-making.
- Believes in the value of a team and readily participates in team building activities.
- Strong leadership qualities.
- Believes in always over-delivering, and doing work with excellence.
- Constantly innovating and coming up with ways to upgrade and expand our product line.
- Flexible; incorporating user feedback into product development, and responding to market needs, even if the latter involves coming up with new features/applications.
What will you be doing?
- Actively adding to the codebase. Performing varied development tasks across the entire stack.
- Analyze the current codebase we have, maintain and improve it.
- Bringing the product to market. Build lean MVPs to test and iterate quickly based on user feedback.
- Provide budget-friendly, cost-effective recommendations for product development.
- Work with the team to help provide strategies for business development and marketing, by providing technical perspective/insight.
- Gather and prioritize requirements and features.
- Managing other developers, implementing best practice such as TDD, Agile processes, creating shared coding standards, and overall ensuring that the team is producing high quality, easily maintainable code.
- Ownership over the application roadmap, also guiding architecture-level decisions. Set the structure and goals for the development team, provide technical direction, lead the development of tools to make scalable web applications.
- Architect for scaling.
Send your Cover Letter and detailed CV to [email protected] marking the subject as “3022”, Your Full name & Phone number e.g. 3022 Barack Obama, +2547xxxxxxxx. If you don’t follow these instructions, your application will not go through.
Deadline for receiving applications: 1st October 2017
* You will receive a confirmation email and an alert to take a basic screening test over SMS or online. The email with the test may not arrive immediately. Please be patient. The email/SMS test will typically be 5-8 questions to help us understand your background. Regular SMS rates apply to the test.
If you apply and don’t meet these minimum qualifications, we won’t be able to forward your application to the employer.
Posted in Jobs Tags: advocate, analysis, and, aws, building, business, business development, cloud, communication, company, control, css, customer, delivery, Design, designing, developer, development, e-commerce, html, impact, insight, IT, java, Knowledge, Layout, Leadership, learning, line, manager, market, Marketing, MySQL, of, operations, people, php, point, product, product development, python, Quality, Quality control, scaling, sms, solutions, SQL, Startup, systems, team, tech, technical, the, ussd, ux, web, work